2019 BOA Grand National Championships

I haven't seen a thread about this but this can be the thread to discuss who might be coming to next years Grand National Championships. Here's a list of who might be coming from Texas.

Bands Confirmed to be attending:

Leander 

Round Rock

Bands on a Rotation Year that will likely be attending:

The Woodlands

Bands highly likely to be attending but not confirmed:

Hebron

Vandegrift

Bands rumored to be attending:

Keller

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Vista Ridge

Hebron sneakily confirmed it on their twitter through a few hashtags such as #indybound and #grandnationals19.

Apparently directors from Vandegrift, Keller Central, and Timber Creek were there at GN. I don’t know if Keller directors were there as well, but I bet they are way too busy getting ready for the Macy’s parade to take a trip to Indy if in fact they do plan on returning in 2019.

I haven't seen a thread about this but this can be the thread to discuss who might be coming to next years Grand National Championships. Here's a list of who might be coming from Texas.

Leander 

Round Rock

The Woodlands

Hebron

Vandegrift

Keller

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Vista Ridge

I think that at this point we can assume that TWHS will return as it has been their history to go in non-state years for the past decade

as for those that you have listed as confirmed, likely and rumored to attend. it has been my understanding that this is the time of year that the programs start to assess what they are willing to do  pertains to the finances. some of these programs do not yet have a show decided for next year. 

I would assume that we will see in the coming months who will go and who will forgo the Nationals.

I hope that we see a very large TeamTexas in Indy next year.

Hebron sneakily confirmed it on their twitter through a few hashtags such as #indybound and #grandnationals19.

Apparently directors from Vandegrift, Keller Central, and Timber Creek were there at GN. I don’t know if Keller directors were there as well, but I bet they are way too busy getting ready for the Macy’s parade to take a trip to Indy if in fact they do plan on returning in 2019.

I can assure you that most of the directors of the big or growing programs in Texas were at GN this past weekend -  just like every NFL coach is at the Super Bowl - even if they are not playing - it is part of the job. 

I can assure you that most of the directors of the big or growing programs in Texas were at GN this past weekend - just like every NFL coach is at the Super Bowl - even if they are not playing - it is part of the job.

Yeah...I would love for all these programs to go but iI realistically see 5 or 6 big-name Texas groups for 19. I probably shouldn’t get my hopes up :)

Leander 

Round Rock

The Woodlands

Hebron

Vandegrift

Keller

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Vista Ridge

I don't know if our district would send three bands (Leander, Vandegrift, Vista Ridge).  I think all three would do well, just not sure they would send three

I think we'll see a lot of bands wait and get a feel for the general landscape of who's considering going before making a definitive decision. While we all want a Texas wave in Indianapolis, if we sent 6+ bands, then we realistically start pushing each other out of finals. In that case, fringe finalist bands may reconsider going if they're much more likely going to advance when there's a smaller Texas representation in following years. The rumors will certainly keep up entertained in the off season...

I would love to see Timber Creek make the trip! And Vandegrift would do amazing if they went. They would figuratively AND literally blow everyone away!

Vandy will run into problems with their guard. If they don't toss anything or use weapons, when you compare to the two best color guards in the country (Avond and Carmel) I don't see how you can keep a high VGE or VPE score as both are modestly dependent on guard.

Vandy will run into problems with their guard. If they don't toss anything or use weapons, when you compare to the two best color guards in the country (Avond and Carmel) I don't see how you can keep a high VGE or VPE score as both are modestly dependent on guard.

Vandegrift competed against and finished ahead of Avon in San Antonio in 2017, even with their relative lack of color guard. In fact, their VGE score was higher than Avon's in both prelims and finals. VPE was higher in prelims, but fell behind in finals. So maybe not as big an issue as feared?

This is a very interesting topic.  I think Leander has the formula to challenge for the Eagle next year.  Their guard is phenomenal as was showcased winning that second highest WGI class last year.  Their score was so good they could have challenged for the win at the top level.  Beyond that Leander has shown they can play with Vandy, Hebron, FloMo, CTJ, etc.  Not even counting the 3A captions sweeps they won music in Austin this year, and have won it a time or two before at a regional in the last few years when perhaps they were not expected to.  I think what also helps, although it is silly that it does, is politics.  What is key is this will be the first time that Leander has gone to Grand Nats fairly quickly after a previous trip.  They only went in 1999 and then in 2016.  They are not a mainstay, although I think they will be now.  I just always had this feeling even if they were capable that judging wasn't going to allow 'some Texas band that hadn't been to Indy in 17 years' to do that.  Perhaps I am a little off key here, I just think there is something to it.  They also have the recipe in design, and here is hoping they find just the right mix to bring to Indy next year.  I enjoyed Fourth Dimension in 2016, although if I could be a little critical, I am not ever quite sure it communicated all that it needed to from a GE standpoint.  To me Choral Works in 2015 did this the best.  I loved Polarity, but if I had one critical comment there it would be for lack of delivering much emotion.  To better illustrate my point Vista Ridge really grabbed people's hearts this year with their show.  I don't think it was a GE monster or even overly visually stunning, but it just had this it factor and it was done well and it kind of had that let's get on our feet the last 30 seconds, throw babies on the field reception.  If you notice with Avon and Carmel for some reason their design as it parallels with the music is astonishing.  They are not always even shows that make you go crazy, but I think that is what sets them apart some times.  It is the only thing I can think of really because Texas can play with them and execute with them, but I do think there is this missing variable and it is hard for me to put into words.  Bands should definitely feel that they don't need to be over the top to win.  Just note how Tarpon finished 5th with RP1, etc.

I don't think it hurts by any means, and you want to bring the excitement to Indy, but it very may well be that finding the perfect design, selling that design as it conveys the music, etc. and doing it clean is the magic recipe.  I'd be interested in hearing some more thoughts on this.

This is a very interesting topic.  I think Leander has the formula to challenge for the Eagle next year.  Their guard is phenomenal as was showcased winning that second highest WGI class last year.  Their score was so good they could have challenged for the win at the top level.  Beyond that Leander has shown they can play with Vandy, Hebron, FloMo, CTJ, etc.  Not even counting the 3A captions sweeps they won music in Austin this year, and have won it a time or two before at a regional in the last few years when perhaps they were not expected to.  I think what also helps, although it is silly that it does, is politics.  What is key is this will be the first time that Leander has gone to Grand Nats fairly quickly after a previous trip.  They only went in 1999 and then in 2016.  They are not a mainstay, although I think they will be now.  I just always had this feeling even if they were capable that judging wasn't going to allow 'some Texas band that hadn't been to Indy in 17 years' to do that.  Perhaps I am a little off key here, I just think there is something to it.  They also have the recipe in design, and here is hoping they find just the right mix to bring to Indy next year.  I enjoyed Fourth Dimension in 2016, although if I could be a little critical, I am not ever quite sure it communicated all that it needed to from a GE standpoint.  To me Choral Works in 2015 did this the best.  I loved Polarity, but if I had one critical comment there it would be for lack of delivering much emotion.  To better illustrate my point Vista Ridge really grabbed people's hearts this year with their show.  I don't think it was a GE monster or even overly visually stunning, but it just had this it factor and it was done well and it kind of had that let's get on our feet the last 30 seconds, throw babies on the field reception.  If you notice with Avon and Carmel for some reason their design as it parallels with the music is astonishing.  They are not always even shows that make you go crazy, but I think that is what sets them apart some times.  It is the only thing I can think of really because Texas can play with them and execute with them, but I do think there is this missing variable and it is hard for me to put into words.  Bands should definitely feel that they don't need to be over the top to win.  Just note how Tarpon finished 5th with RP1, etc.

I don't think it hurts by any means, and you want to bring the excitement to Indy, but it very may well be that finding the perfect design, selling that design as it conveys the music, etc. and doing it clean is the magic recipe.  I'd be interested in hearing some more thoughts on this.

i think that there are some politics to a degree, though some of the judges each year have Texas roots, by in large I think that there are some points to be made that a program that shows consistency and repeats regularly - it is hard to say if that plays anything into it or is it just due to the cost and infrequent trips that you have to line up the years you attend with a show that is well received. i am sure every director feels good about their show going into the year but does not know how well it will be received until you see your competition and the judges get a chance to score the show.

I noted in an earlier post, that the last 2 Texas bands to bring home the Eagle were regular attendees TWHS attended 5 times in an 8 year span winning in 2013, LD Bell went 7 times in 8 years and took medals in 6 straight including gold in 2007 

hard to say if it is politics, or just good timing