San Antonio Vs. Grand Nationals

People, please go to Indy and see the event before suggesting rotation, or that it could be held at the Alamodome, et cetera. Could and should are two drastically different things. Nowhere else even comes close to what Lucas Oil Stadium, the Convention Center, and the connected hotels and restaurants collectively offer. Even ignoring the huge difference in sound, did you notice AvonDad said 19 degrees with wind chill in the single digits? We sometimes get that here in Texas too. At Indy, literally the only time Texas bands have to go outside is when they get off the bus when they arrive and onto the bus to go back to Texas. Everything else including full size practice space, the stadium, hotels, food, stores, and whatever else you might need is connected by warm indoor walkways. We don't have anything that comes even remotely close to their facilities.

Do you remember the Superbowl at Jerry World a few years ago? Is that what you want the best band kids in the country to possibly go through and remember about their trip to Grand Nationals?

We all know AvonDad is fortunate to have Grand Nationals in his backyard. The Avon parents I have talked with can't believe how fortunate we are to have the insane level of competition in our backyard. Let's just continue to make the trip. Besides it's part of what makes Grand Nationals special and sooner or later AvonDad is going to throw his trump card and win the hand. He knows Lucas Oil Stadium has escalators instead of stairs. :)

People, please go to Indy and see the event before suggesting rotation, or that it could be held at the Alamodome, et cetera. Could and should are two drastically different things. Nowhere else even comes close to what Lucas Oil Stadium, the Convention Center, and the connected hotels and restaurants collectively offer. Even ignoring the huge difference in sound, did you notice AvonDad said 19 degrees with wind chill in the single digits? We sometimes get that here in Texas too. At Indy, literally the only time Texas bands have to go outside is when they get off the bus when they arrive and onto the bus to go back to Texas. Everything else including full size practice space, the stadium, hotels, food, stores, and whatever else you might need is connected by warm indoor walkways. We don't have anything that comes even remotely close to their facilities.

Do you remember the Superbowl at Jerry World a few years ago? Is that what you want the best band kids in the country to possibly go through and remember about their trip to Grand Nationals?

We all know AvonDad is fortunate to have Grand Nationals in his backyard. The Avon parents I have talked with can't believe how fortunate we are to have the insane level of competition in our backyard. Let's just continue to make the trip. Besides it's part of what makes Grand Nationals special and sooner or later AvonDad is going to throw his trump card and win the hand. He knows Lucas Oil Stadium has escalators instead of stairs. :)

I have been to Indy for G Nats and agree that it is a much nicer set up with the convention center attached. San Antonio jumped from 64 bands in 2017 to 84 bands this year and I think that most would agree that it went well. their are always challenges with that much growth. there are other options - while the convention center is not attached - it is directly across the freeway - as well as 5 major hotels attached or on the block of the convention center. with an effort from MFA, they could utilize the convention for warm ups and then shuttle the kids over to the dome. the convention center has been expanded on the past 3 years. in addition to the 5 major hotels around the center - there is a HUGE concentration of hotels close to the dome.

San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US, it is a top 10 tourist destination in the US and top 20 in the world - with more than 31 Million visitors per year - 6 Million for business and 25 Million for pleasure - 

would it be as ideal as Lucus Oil? No - could it be better than it is - Yes. but at the end of the day, I think students would rather get a chance to compete in Grand Nats - regardless of the location. I know of 3 programs in Texas,  that are discussing G Nats for next year. the deciding factor is this - what are they willing to pay. a program in Texas going to G Nats is looking at a cost of $1500+ per student - in addition to their normal marching season costs. it is a shame that their are many top notch programs in Texas that go every 4 plus years and have students that will march for 4 years and never have that chance.

if it was done in the dome on state years - we could see many bands that do BOA SR - then UIL state - then GNats all in the same week - many programs are already in San Antonio for 2 of the 3 events.

just my thoughts...

Insane competition - agree.  Escalators - used them to get to the 600 level for semis.  AGREE!  :)

1998-2018, on 15 Nov 2018 - 22:40, said:

I would agree with Grand Nats staying in Indy. Having traveled to Grand Nats in 2014 as a chaperone and pit crew member for Flower Mound, that trip to Indy is just, very, very special for those coming from Texas. And the whole setup in Indy was fantastic. Now we did have to go outside to get from the Convention Center to Lucas Oil Stadium and back, but it was close. But it was a trip that will live within me until my last breath and I'm sure many others feel the same.

Yesterday was the fourth anniversary of 2014 finals in fact ... I was watching the DVD last night and getting teary eyed.

I think LOS is pretty special as well, and I love how the convention center connects to it via underground walkways and such.  But I did see on the MFA forums that the kids at Grand Nats do have to stand out in pretty cold circumstances while waiting in the "tunnel."  I'm not sure exactly what they mean, but it sounds like the kiddos do spend some time outside waiting to go on the field.  I know that there were several people concerned about how cold the color guard members were going to be while waiting there, and that they hoped the directors would allow them to at least wear their jackets in the tunnel and just shed them right before taking the field.  So evidently they do spend SOME time outside or in a cold situation, even at LOS.  And yes, the restaurants and hotels are just right there, which is also very nice.  We were fortunate in 2016 that Indianapolis was having an unusual warm spell, and the weather was absolutely superb while we were there.  I hope 2019 is just as kind!  

I still think it would be pretty cool if GN moved around the country and wasn't located in just one spot every year.  San Antonio could host it very well one year after the supers.  There are plenty of hotels on the riverwalk which is within 2 miles of the Alamodome.  Unfortunately, there just aren't a lot of restaurants around the dome.  And there are no in/out parking privileges so $20 to park each time would get rather expensive.  But the whole idea of moving it around is such a fascinating one!  

Here's the bottom line.  I'm pretty sure that MFA has booked Lucas Oil stadium for years and years and years to come for GN, so there's pretty much ZERO chance of it moving around any time soon. 

But it's fun to think about.  

I think I came up with a compromise.  Make a rule that Indiana bands can only attend every four years, then the competition is on a level playing field:)  I couldn't resist, but with some Indy love coming in thought I would offer up an alternative to even things out a different way.  Or perhaps BOA could front the Texas bands about $300 k a piece to give them an opportunity to attend more in the frozen tundra.

I watched the avon film on flomarching about them going to San Antonio last year, which I thought was great.  However, it was interesting to hear the kids talking about not travelling away from Lucas Oil field very often and others mentioning the expense of taking Avon south once.  Compare that to how many times The Woodlands has taken that financial hit.

It is true that during "normal" cold weather the tunnels under the block between the Convention Center and LOS are usually not used and you end up outside for about a block. Those same tunnels can be opened when the weather gets extreme.

LeanderMomma is correct about the level of advance planning. I could be wrong about the exact timeframe but when BOA made the rule change requiring use of their travel service I think they said they plan something like seven years in advance for Super Regionals and Grand Nationals.

And then there's the humongous difference in sound quality.

San Antonio is definitely a destination city and we always have a blast. The Super Regional does work, but Grand Nationals works better. I'm sticking with, "There's a big difference between could and should."

For those outside Texas this might seem a bit arrogant (we prefer Texas Proud) but has it occurred to anyone else that MFA/BOA wants TeamTexas to travel precisely because it limits the number of Texas bands at Grand Nationals? How many bands from other states would be displaced from Semi-Finals and Finals if everybody at BOA SA and UIL SMBC stayed for Grand Nationals the next weekend? How many good bands from out of state just wouldn't make the trip to Texas because of the very real possibility of only one performance? Part of the fun of Grand Nationals is seeing all the different regional influences on display.

I think that’s one of the biggest issues. There would be absolutely no incentive for most bands to travel to Texas if GN were there. For one, the coffers aren’t nearly as deep in other parts of the country to justify only performing once (not that Texas bands go to GN just to perform once, but support for music education is MUCH higher financially and only three Texas bands since 2008 haven’t made Semis). And second, it would ruin the regional diversity we like in an event like that. Even if some bands actually get closer to the venue (looking at you Oklahoma and California), there’s a reason those groups don’t or rarely come to our regionals in the first place.

If San Antonio hosted Grand Nats, I think the best way of keeping it a national competition instead of texas 2.0 is for there to be a requirement in order to be allowed to compete. Or maybe like priority registration. Like there are different regions and the highest placing bands the previous year can sign up for GNats from that region and if some bands decide they don't want to go it moves down the line until they fill a specific number of spots. It could also include class champions from those regions.

Just thinking out loud, as I truly have no idea. Would a venue like the NRG Stadium with the NRG Arena and NRG Center be able to host a massive band contest? Are the acoustics in NRG as bad as AT&T?

I can't speak to the acoustics as a listener but as a performer NRG is the worst I've marched in as far as a listening environment is concerned.

If San Antonio hosted Grand Nats, I think the best way of keeping it a national competition instead of texas 2.0 is for there to be a requirement in order to be allowed to compete. Or maybe like priority registration. Like there are different regions and the highest placing bands the previous year can sign up for GNats from that region and if some bands decide they don't want to go it moves down the line until they fill a specific number of spots. It could also include class champions from those regions.

i agree that there would need to be some type of process that would ensure that it is not just the same bands that have been there all week, and ensure that there are spots committed for a period of time for out of state bands to have spots and that those spots are in the Friday prelims VS Thursday

I think it is all possible with some additional planning