What is the best show you’ve ever seen?

I completely forgot SFA 2016! That one used to be one of my favorites

Its very overlooked due to their abscence from BOA that year, but I feel like they could have placed VERY well at SA!

I feel that I personally WAY under appreciated Ronald Reagan’s show this year. That thing is truly spectacular and lately I have found myself watching it over and over so I can catch parts I missed before. It’s just a phenomenal show. Stunning even. They surely could have done extraordinarily well with that at GN if they had gone.

Check out YouTube “not Ronald Reagan Band 2018” you can see the formations - I didn’t know they were doing half the things until I saw this bird’s eye view

Check out YouTube “not Ronald Reagan Band 2018” you can see the formations - I didn’t know they were doing half the things until I saw this bird’s eye view

Wow, you weren’t kidding! So cool. Thank you!

We miss so many things sitting down in the bottom sections of the dome. I need to sit up high at least once a season.

Wow, you weren’t kidding! So cool. Thank you!

We miss so many things sitting down in the bottom sections of the dome. I need to sit up high at least once a season.

Yeah, you pretty much miss 3/4 of the visual aspects by sitting low. But you do get musical impact (sometimes too much, so you lose some of the details). I always try to sit high up if I can to try to balance the visual with the musical.

It is interesting the relative lack of high quality videos this year from San Antonio (BOA and/or UIL - and by this I mean by professional/high level amateur video/audio from above the press box, so no slight meant to Doge from San Antonio's videos or others that I've seen). I have one for us which the band boosters sent out, and there is one for Reagan, Hebron, and Vista Ridge. I assume others are floating around but maybe aren't public or I just plain missed.

FloMo was cracking down this year. The past few years I saw everyone recording, this year it seamed like fans were more hesitant to pull out any devise for recording.

As the videographer for our school I ended up parking on the high cam platform for the majority of BOA Finals and all of State. I only recorded our show, but seeing the top programs from up high gave me way more appreciation for the show designs.

It is interesting the relative lack of high quality videos this year from San Antonio (BOA and/or UIL - and by this I mean by professional/high level amateur video/audio from above the press box, so no slight meant to Doge from San Antonio's videos or others that I've seen). I have one for us which the band boosters sent out, and there is one for Reagan, Hebron, and Vista Ridge. I assume others are floating around but maybe aren't public or I just plain missed.

There was a Leander one up as well from up high.  It was so interesting to watch from a different angle!

it just says Leander Band 2018 on daTube and is posted by a Scotty Ballard.  If anyone cares besides me.   :lol:

FloMo was cracking down this year. The past few years I saw everyone recording, this year it seamed like fans were more hesitant to pull out any devise for recording.

As the videographer for our school I ended up parking on the high cam platform for the majority of BOA Finals and all of State. I only recorded our show, but seeing the top programs from up high gave me way more appreciation for the show designs.

it's a shame because there's no way to go back and watch some of the most phenomenal shows.  I'm glad Leander isn't as picky, though they don't actually "condone" it.  ;)

One of many topics that have a great variety of opinion which is cool to see, my eyes were opened to some shows that I wouldn’t have even considered making me think like “oh yeah I did really like that show a lot!!” Makes this harder to pick for me, some shows stick out for because of how musically astounding they were, Hebron 2017, 2015, FloMo 2016, Woodlands 2013. Marcus’ sustained reign of Texas in terms of cleanliness, 2007, 2012 and 2014 being the headliners. Vandegrift(2017) Leander(2014,2018) and now Vista with their tremendous pace and power their shows have. I’m a Texas homer, believing that we have the best of the best performing in this activity despite the limitations placed on us that most of the country really doesn’t have, the tonality and power that a lot groups project being on a different level imo which is really the most important thing for me, and the show that did for me was Hebron 2017, it warmed me up on the cold cold night I got to hear it near the end of that season and it’s one of my favorites for sure as well. 

One of many topics that have a great variety of opinion which is cool to see, my eyes were opened to some shows that I wouldn’t have even considered making me think like “oh yeah I did really like that show a lot!!” Makes this harder to pick for me, some shows stick out for because of how musically astounding they were, Hebron 2017, 2015, FloMo 2016, Woodlands 2013. Marcus’ sustained reign of Texas in terms of cleanliness, 2007, 2012 and 2014 being the headliners. Vandegrift(2017) Leander(2014,2018) and now Vista with their tremendous pace and power their shows have. I’m a Texas homer, believing that we have the best of the best performing in this activity despite the limitations placed on us that most of the country really doesn’t have, the tonality and power that a lot groups project being on a different level imo which is really the most important thing for me, and the show that did for me was Hebron 2017, it warmed me up on the cold cold night I got to hear it near the end of that season and it’s one of my favorites for sure as well.

Was the cold cold night the Ducanville Invational? Because that was a cold contest. I remember having hand warmers in my gloves for that performance. Hebron 2017 will always be my one of my favorites.

Was the cold cold night the Ducanville Invational? Because that was a cold contest. I remember having hand warmers in my gloves for that performance. Hebron 2017 will always be my one of my favorites.

That it was that it was. Coldest contest I’ve ever been to for sure, I thought I had enough layers, boy was I wrong

I was not prepared that night. Wearing a light jacket over a t-shirt, I was violently shivering in the stands. 

• 2 weeks later...

Current bands Hebron 2017, CTJ 2017 and multiple LD Bell shows in the 2000's.

However, the all time great for me is Spring 1993.  They broke new ground, and of course brought home the first Texas grand nats gold medal.

The Houston contest of 1993 was outstanding Spring, Phillip Geiger's Westfield and Duncanville.  

One of the best contests I've seen, one of those where you know you saw something very special unfolding.

Spring and Westfield were setting trends for the future of high school marching band, 

Duncanville was it's usual powerhouse self and somehow Klein came in 3rd.......

The next year Boa started hosting the regional in San Antonio, and so boa began to explode in Texas and it had alot to do with those three marching bands.

Okay, have to add Vista Ridge from this year.  I love that show!

• 2 weeks later...