What is the best show you’ve ever seen?

With state finals coming in just a few hours, and thinking back to State 2016, I was wondering what the best (not necessarily favorite, but best performed) everyone has seen. I’ll start it off with 2016 FloMo in state finals, watching it in person and many times after on Youtube, everything just goes together so well.

Marcus 2007 and LD Bell 2008 are both waaaaaay up there for me. Marcus that year was just an incredible music performance in terms of musicianship and care. LD Bell was a very intentional performance - everything worked together to lead to something else. Marcus 2010 was also perhaps the best use of alternates to that point in time and it added so much to that show. In terms of total performance buy in by performers, Broken Arrow 2017 was amazing. Carmel 2017 was similarly "best" from a sheer visual proficiency standard of excellence. Flower Mound 2016 had the best total package, and CTJ 2017 in terms of achievement.

I saw all of these live, sometimes on multiple occasions. I have others I would want to mention, but I did not see them live. There are also others that I did not get to see live in their best state (Hebron 2015 being the operative example), and thus don't want to put them on here.

• 4 weeks later...

I think lack of visual difficulty would’ve stopped them from breaking 98 at nats, especially considering that Carmel was almost as visually clean with a significantly harder program, but flomo would’ve still skeeted a win handily especially in GE which was heavily lacking in most of the nats shows in 2016.

For me it’s close between flomo 2016 and vista ridge 2018. I’m gonna go with vista because that show is ridiculously powerful, especially the many times I saw it in person.

I think lack of visual difficulty would’ve stopped them from breaking 98 at nats, especially considering that Carmel was almost as visually clean with a significantly harder program, but flomo would’ve still skeeted a win handily especially in GE which was heavily lacking in most of the nats shows in 2016.

For me it’s close between flomo 2016 and vista ridge 2018. I’m gonna go with vista because that show is ridiculously powerful, especially the many times I saw it in person.

The longer I am in the band world, the more unbeatable it seems to me that Carmel actually is.  They have the best of the best working with them and writing for them, and I just am not sure they will be beatable anytime soon.  Especially at Grand Nats which is literally in their backyard.  

Hopefully I will be proved wrong in 2019 when many great Texas bands return!  But the more I learn about Carmel, the more impressed I am.  Man I hate saying that!   :lol:

That I saw in person, probably Plymouth Canton in 1999.  Thought Crime: Music for an Orwellian Era.  When I was at grand nats as a member of the Leander Band we were able to watch their pre-lims run in person.  So sick!  There were a lot of cool shows in the late 90's as it was a very experimental era.  In a lot of ways the stuff that was being fielded then was more out there than what you see now, if anything it has actually been toned down a bit.  There are exception to this like basically anything CTJ and Tarpon put on the field, but I remember when Spring and Churchill were at their prime and did some crazy stuff.  

Also Leonardo's Dream from FloMo a few years back might be the second best I've seen live.  For anybody that has never seen 1999 Plymouth Canton please YouTube it.  You will get chills in the finale as everything comes together amazingly.  The guard is like a machine, the music just jaw-dropping and emotional, the GE is delivered correctly and there is no confusion as to what is going on.  The show still holds up really well today.  I will comment more later if I think of anything.

I would have to say Hebron 2015, 2017, and 2018. No one really talks about Hebron’s show from this year, but it was spectacular. If it had just been a bit cleaner visually they definitely could’ve gotten their usual second place silver medal or maybe even first. I still watch the video and get goosebumps.

I also enjoy Marcus 2017, Avon 2017, and FloMo 2016.

I feel that I personally WAY under appreciated Ronald Reagan’s show this year. That thing is truly spectacular and lately I have found myself watching it over and over so I can catch parts I missed before. It’s just a phenomenal show. Stunning even. They surely could have done extraordinarily well with that at GN if they had gone.

I was on hand for the highest scoring BOA show ever (at the time of this posting) - Hebron 2015 at GN Semi-finals, so I guess from that aspect that is the best ever?

Some others I've seen first hand (limited viewing of just the last few years, not going to count Youtube since you can't really get the full effect - and this is ex-Texas):

Small bands - probably my fave is Adair County 2017, Ex Machina

Medium size - I enjoyed Marian Catholic's 2015 show String Theory

Large size - While I didn't think I would, I ended up really liking Broken Arrow's 2017 show Age of Discovery: Return to Xeno in person. While I appreciate Carmel's show from 2017 (Serenity), it wasn't my cup of tea.

I would have to say Hebron 2015, 2017, and 2018. No one really talks about Hebron’s show from this year, but it was spectacular. If it had just been a bit cleaner visually they definitely could’ve gotten their usual second place silver medal or maybe even first. I still watch the video and get goosebumps.

I loved Hebron’s show this year as well (I’m a sucker for a good rendition of Firebird Suite), it just doesn’t have the same impact on me as 360 or Uncharted Waters

Seeing Marcus and LD Bell back to back at Arlington finals in 2007 was a mind-blowing experience- was in awe of their theatricality and skill. I hadn't realized marching band could be art before that. That's when I really went all in as a marching band enthusiast, and I think they remain two of the most exquisitely designed, impeccably performed shows in history. Plymouth-Canton 1999, Lassiter 2002, Ronald Reagan 2003, LD Bell 2006, LD Bell 2008, Avon 2009, Tarpon 2014, Hebron 2015 and FloMo 2016 are some others that stick out as real significant achievements. Honorable mentions The Woodlands 2013 and Carmel 2017. Also always thought Broken Arrow 2008 was totally genius but the execution just wasn't there.

I loved Hebron’s show this year as well (I’m a sucker for a good rendition of Firebird Suite), it just doesn’t have the same impact on me as 360 or Uncharted Waters

For some reason I didn’t enjoy Uncharted Waters. Compared to 360 and later Sculpt and Endeavor, it wasn’t as amazing as those have been. Just my personal opinion.

Was that the RUNaWAY show? I was just watching that one earlier tonight. Fascinating show.

Yes! Best use of their massive guard to date, in my opinion. Also love the integration of the way we were and the replayed distorted dan potter announcement in the finale- just brilliant. wish they had been as musically strong back then as they are now. 

Yes! Best use of their massive guard to date, in my opinion. Also love the integration of the way we were and the replayed distorted dan potter announcement in the finale- just brilliant. wish they had been as musically strong back then as they are now.

It was quite bizarre but indeed brilliant. I’m definitely learning to really appreciate the stories behind some of these fascinating shows from the past.