• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#161 ValleyBandFanatic

ValleyBandFanatic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:23 AM

I would count on Roma and Sharyland Pioneer from Area G to a least be contenders for finals. The other Sharyland placed well at USBands this past Sat and Pioneer (which I think is stronger). 

Pioneer was 9th in their class at the Super Regional and Roma was 7th in their class and 43rd overall out the 84 bands. They were also both on that 2nd panel. For comparison Rouse was in Panel 1 and placed 27 overall (same class as Pioneer).

Within recent years, the top two band programs within Area G are most certainly Roma and Pioneer.

Although the other Sharyland is a very storied and historic band program, it seems as if they are going through a rebuilding stage and are hoping to make it to their third appearance at state after losing their head director after the 2017-2018 season.

Roma has been a powerhouse within Area G, more specifically in recent years. After missing state finals last time, it is fully expected for them to come back more determined than ever. Expect a very successful season. 

Pioneer is a very interesting program. After receiving a division 2 the first year they opened the school, Pioneer has had a unprecedented rise within the band world. 2 out of 2 state appearances at state to attempts, consistent class champions and finals medalists in BOA, and 5 years later, Pioneer is now aiming to make it 3 for 3. What is easily considered to be the standard for bands and work ethic in Area G, Pioneer is 100% expected to make state and possibly finals. Although, with the embodiment of that initial drive after that initial division 2 is gone with the last bunch of kinds that knew what it was like before their enormous success graduating; it will be interesting to see how a band whose kids only know success with continue building this dynasty of a band. They must continue to maintain that high work ethic and individual accountability they are known for in order to prove once and for all that they are not going anywhere within the band world.

#162 abtwitch

abtwitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:07 PM

A band that I think has slipped under the radar in Area I for a lot of people is College Station. They had a MASSIVE breakout year in 2018, beating big 5A names in the Houston-area like Willis, Foster, and Magnolia to win the Waller contest. Area I is setup to be an absolute bloodbath this season and I can't wait to see who comes out on top. My money is on College Station, Galena Park, Tomball, and Willis personally with Crosby, Grand Oaks, Magnolia, Montgomery, Port Neches-Groves, and Porter all likely as well. 

#163 abtwitch

abtwitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:17 PM

Another thing that I haven't seen discussed is the potential for 12 finalists at 5A state. If the number of bands that qualify for state exceed 35, then the expansion will happen. In 2017, there were 35 bands exactly and my projections currently have 36 bands qualifying for state if trends continue. 

#164 Cityscapes

Cityscapes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 04:29 PM

A band that I think has slipped under the radar in Area I for a lot of people is College Station. They had a MASSIVE breakout year in 2018, beating big 5A names in the Houston-area like Willis, Foster, and Magnolia to win the Waller contest. Area I is setup to be an absolute bloodbath this season and I can't wait to see who comes out on top. My money is on College Station, Galena Park, Tomball, and Willis personally with Crosby, Grand Oaks, Magnolia, Montgomery, Port Neches-Groves, and Porter all likely as well.

I actually didnt even know College Station was 5a. That being the case, I could see them doing VERY well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users