2019 5A State

Poteet?

Definitely. There are like 10 groups in North Texas that seem capable of making finals here. Last 5A state 7 of the 10 were from up there. I could also see Lovejoy or Lone Star or Lebanon Trail as long shots. Basically any group that makes it to state from these areas has a good shot at finals, but I think that there will only be 4 open spots for North Texas groups because of the other groups I mentioned from Austin/ Houston/ and the Valley.

Everyone is making predictions for the finals so here is my list in no particular order:

Cedar Park

Rouse

Dripping Springs

Roma

Wakeland

Poteet

Aledo

Friendswood

Lebanon Trail

Wylie East, Lovejoy, Lone star (or whatever other band from Area B advance to state, I know the bands from Area B is gonna bring a punch this year!)

Bottom line is that Area B will be fun to watch, there are a lot of good bands fighting for 3 spots (Wakeland will no doubt take one of the spots). Whatever 4 bands from area b go to state will undoubtedly place within the top 12 or 13.

Making predictions for finals are we?

Cedar Park

Rouse

Wakeland

Weiss

Dripping Springs

Friendswood

Aledo

Wylie East

Roma

Forney/ Highland Park/ Colleyville Heritage/ Burleson Centennial some other North Texas group

This isn't necessarily in order, but roughly how I see it.

I’d throw in Pioneer in that mix as well

There’s a pretty good chance 12 will go to finals given that there were 35 bands total in 2017

Would just like to say that a large part of the reason we had 35 bands at State in 2017 was due to 37 bands in Area E advancing to Area. Not sure how realignment will affect numbers statewide, but the Houston area only sending 5, possibly 6, bands this year rather than 7 may change things a bit

Official Predictions in no order: 

Cedar Park 

Dripping Springs 

Wakeland 

Rouse 

Highland Park 

Poteet 

Friendswood 

Forney 

Aledo 

Lone Star 

Groups that could sneak in: Colleyville Heritage, Southwest, The colony

Group that will surprise people: Lopez HS (Top 15 this year) 

Group first time at state/will impress people: Midlothian HS (Top 15 this year) 

Finalist Contenders:

Wakeland

Weiss

Dripping Springs

McCallum

Lebanon Trail

Wylie East

Lovejoy

Poteet

Forney

Highland Park

Friendswood

Aledo

Burleson Centennial

Colleyville Heritage

Roma

Pioneer

Rouse

Cedar Park

Lone Star

Pflugerville

Choosing only 10-12 from that list is tough, but here's my best shot:

1) Cedar Park (incredible finals performance trend)

2) Rouse (will be very close, will probably win prelims)

3) Wakeland (having an incredible season so far)

bubble (yes, already)

Aledo, Burleson Centennial, Colleyville Heritage, Forney, Dripping Springs, Friendswood, Highland Park, Lebanon Trail, Lone Star, McCallum, Pflugerville, Pioneer, Poteet, Roma, Weiss, Wylie East

I'll do more in depth predictions after area.

So, today at regionals was the first time I saw Rouse without the BOA allowances. The show is a BOA show and suffered today against a state built show like Cedar Park. They will still medal and they still have a chance to win it but the show does not translate as well without a few of the allowances that BOA affords.

Cedar Park now has 2 consecutive runs if the same show. The show needs some cleaning. I think they are going to benefit from staying in San Antonio from BOA through States. Less travel. Less stress.

Interested to see how state and area G is now that Roma will not be advancing. They went over the time limit by 20 seconds and received a division 2 and competition last night. They are trying to appeal to UIL to get a second chance and still advance to area, but that’s going to be tough considering the strict UIL rules, as well as the amount of time they went over, 20 seconds is A LOT and it would affect the entire state competition if they were allowed to advance. It would take a miracle. Feel for the kids, truly unfortunate. Area G champions is now seemingly open and more importantly a spot in state finals.

Interested to see how state and area G is now that Roma will not be advancing. They went over the time limit by 20 seconds and received a division 2 and competition last night. They are trying to appeal to UIL to get a second chance and still advance to area, but that’s going to be tough considering the strict UIL rules, as well as the amount of time they went over, 20 seconds is A LOT and it would affect the entire state competition if they were allowed to advance. It would take a miracle. Feel for the kids, truly unfortunate. Area G champions is now seemingly open and more importantly a spot in state finals.

WHAT. Oh no, that’s terrible for the kids in the program.

Wow, that is crazy, but how does that happen especially when it's by that much time?

So, today at regionals was the first time I saw Rouse without the BOA allowances. The show is a BOA show and suffered today against a state built show like Cedar Park. They will still medal and they still have a chance to win it but the show does not translate as well without a few of the allowances that BOA affords.

For the uneducated like me :-) can you elaborate on the allowances that BOA gives? I know there are differences. It not sure what they are. Our program is looking to make the jump to BOA next year.

Nooooooo :(