#42 LHSbandDad

LHSbandDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLeander, TX

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:11 PM

Do we know the date yet for this?  Usually it is the 1st weekend of November (Nov 1-2, 2019) but I noticed on the MFA website that Grand Nationals is Nov 14-16, 2019.  That would be a two week gap and usually it is only a one week gap.  Does anyone know for sure?

#43 principalagent

principalagent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:34 PM

Do we know the date yet for this?  Usually it is the 1st weekend of November (Nov 1-2, 2019) but I noticed on the MFA website that Grand Nationals is Nov 14-16, 2019.  That would be a two week gap and usually it is only a one week gap.  Does anyone know for sure?

Yep, it is in fact that weekend.

The two week gap has created some gems in the past. Let's hope it does something similar this next year!

#44 LHSbandDad

LHSbandDad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLeander, TX

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for confirming!!  This is GREAT news for Leander and the rest of #TeamTexas to have some time to make those final adjustments before making the trip to Indy!!  In 2016 we did the BOA SA, UIL State, Indy trip Back-to-Back-to-Back in 9 days so it will be so nice to have some time to practice (and sleep in our own beds) between the two BOA events this time!!

#45 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:19 AM

Anyone want to speculate on who our surprise guest(s) from out of state will be at San Antonio this fall?  Blue Springs is a strong possibility, which I would LOVE.  But...what if....CARMEL CAME DOWN!!!!   :o

Each day is a gift. That’s why it’s called “the present.”

#46 MadisonBandMan1

MadisonBandMan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:20 AM

That’s exactly what I was thinking

James Madison H.S Class of 2020

Trombone player

2016 - EnLIGHTened

2017 - Nocturnal Creature

2018 - The Ascent

2019 - Under Construction

I love weather and music. Hot and steamy summers combined with marching rehearsal = heaven!

#47 MadisonBandMan1

MadisonBandMan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:23 AM

But the band I want most to make the trip is TSOPE. IIRC they have never been to a Texas competition but it’s understandable why they don’t. I would just love to see how their designs stand up to the Texas lava pit. I know there are a few Texas bands that design similar to the way they do and it would be quite intriguing to see the comparisons.

James Madison H.S Class of 2020

Trombone player

2016 - EnLIGHTened

2017 - Nocturnal Creature

2018 - The Ascent

2019 - Under Construction

I love weather and music. Hot and steamy summers combined with marching rehearsal = heaven!

#48 Cityscapes

Cityscapes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 02:23 AM

I quite honestly think that if Blue Springs continues their trajectory they could walk out with the gold medal, its a longshot but not impossible.

#49 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:12 AM

But the band I want most to make the trip is TSOPE. IIRC they have never been to a Texas competition but it’s understandable why they don’t. I would just love to see how their designs stand up to the Texas lava pit. I know there are a few Texas bands that design similar to the way they do and it would be quite intriguing to see the comparisons.

Yes, I would love to see Tarpon Springs at San Antonio but that would be quite a trek for them.  

#50 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:13 AM

I quite honestly think that if Blue Springs continues their trajectory they could walk out with the gold medal, its a longshot but not impossible.

I'm not ready to say they would take the gold in San Antonio, but I think they would do quite well!

#51 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:37 AM

Blue Springs placed 6th last time they came to SA, I believe, and they’ve improved a lot since then

#52 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 22 December 2018 - 04:23 AM

Blue Springs placed 6th last time they came to SA, I believe, and they’ve improved a lot since then

Oh I agree, but so have the top Texas bands.  And then there are the up and coming Texas bands.  Blue Springs is great, but they would have more competition in Texas these days than they did the last time they came.  

#53 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 22 December 2018 - 04:54 AM

You inspired me to go back and watch their 2013 show. It was a fantastic show! Flabbergasted that they didn’t make finals at GN that year. Had to have been a mistake because that show was magnificent.

#54 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:03 AM

Oh I agree, but so have the top Texas bands. And then there are the up and coming Texas bands. Blue Springs is great, but they would have more competition in Texas these days than they did the last time they came.

I definitely agree, but even with the increase in competition, I could see Blue Springs joining the elite group of Carmel, Avon, and Owasso and breaking into the top 5 at SA

#55 principalagent

principalagent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:07 PM

I think Blue Springs is good for the top half, but not willing to say they’re in for a medal yet.

Carmel will come on an even year. They saw what happened to Avon when they came on an odd year 😜

Don’t hold your breath on Broken Arrow or Tarpon Springs.

#56 SpartanMarcher

SpartanMarcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  • LocationPorter HS

Posted 22 December 2018 - 10:27 PM

Yeah I wouldn’t say Blue Springs is quite strong enough to medal, but with a 6th place finish at BOA SA in one of the most competitive BOA years in Texas history, I don’t think a top 5 finish is that out there

#57 Cityscapes

Cityscapes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 01:13 AM

I think we can at least all agree they are a lock for finals :)

#58 Cityscapes

Cityscapes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 01:16 AM

On a seperate note- Rouse moved up 21 placed from 48th place to 27th place between 2017 and 2018. Imagine if they did that again next year...

#59 TWHSParent

TWHSParent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 23 December 2018 - 01:46 AM

On a seperate note- Rouse moved up 21 placed from 48th place to 27th place between 2017 and 2018. Imagine if they did that again next year...

They jumped about 8.5 points (huge props to them). If they do that again they could win. Although I think it is a little easier going from 77.55 to 86 than it is 86 to 94.5, but it can be done...

#60 Cityscapes

Cityscapes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 23 December 2018 - 02:08 AM

I dont think they will jump that much but I think for the first time, they will be legitimately in the conversation for finals. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users