#21 MadisonBandMan1

MadisonBandMan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:42 PM

Does anyone already know if they are going? I do!

We go every year so I would bet money that’s not going to change.

James Madison H.S Class of 2020

Trombone player

2016 - EnLIGHTened

2017 - Nocturnal Creature

2018 - The Ascent

2019 - Under Construction

I love weather and music. Hot and steamy summers combined with marching rehearsal = heaven!

#22 Samuel Culper

Samuel Culper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:51 PM

POPULAR

Everyone else is afraid. Tarpon Springs and Broken Arrow both don't want to risk losing a regional, and Blue Springs doesn't want to lose a medal (and end up in the bottom half). Avon now gets to say they did it, but lost their streak of medals in the process. It's cost prohibitive for Dobyns-Bennett and Wando isn't a band that travels much. Every other band - quite literally every other one in question - would be in grave danger of missing finals.

For better or worse, this regional is Texas's turf. Other bands can come at their own risk.

Sounds like a great opportunity for a social media campaign to invite them. Dare them. Call them out. Whatever works. 😁

#23 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 05 November 2018 - 03:57 PM

Everyone else is afraid. Tarpon Springs and Broken Arrow both don't want to risk losing a regional, and Blue Springs doesn't want to lose a medal (and end up in the bottom half). Avon now gets to say they did it, but lost their streak of medals in the process. It's cost prohibitive for Dobyns-Bennett and Wando isn't a band that travels much. Every other band - quite literally every other one in question - would be in grave danger of missing finals.

For better or worse, this regional is Texas's turf. Other bands can come at their own risk.

Carmel is the only exception. They won last time they came down. Dang Carmelites.
Each day is a gift. That’s why it’s called “the present.”

#24 principalagent

principalagent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:21 PM

Carmel is the only exception. They won last time they came down. Dang Carmelites.

Agh! I actually had that typed out, but some of the formatting of the quote took that sentence with it!

I also have a cynical reason why Carmel will come back, but I won't express that publicly :) 

#25 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:38 PM

Agh! I actually had that typed out, but some of the formatting of the quote took that sentence with it!

I also have a cynical reason why Carmel will come back, but I won't express that publicly :)

Will or won’t?

To clarify, are you saying Carmel will be back or did you mean to say they won’t come back?

#26 principalagent

principalagent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 04:47 PM

Will or won’t?

To clarify, are you saying Carmel will be back or did you mean to say they won’t come back?

They are by far the most likely to come back. Couldn’t tell you when, but I’m sure it’ll be on an even year.

#27 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:06 PM

They are by far the most likely to come back. Couldn’t tell you when, but I’m sure it’ll be on an even year.

Carmel, Indiana. The band we all love to hate. :lol:

Dang Carmelites.

( I don’t actually hate them. I just know people who do. And I might be persuaded....). ;)

#28 LostChoirGuy

LostChoirGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationProvo, Utah

Posted 05 November 2018 - 05:18 PM

Perhaps what isnt being said is that Carmel wants to do what Avon wasnt able to do. Coming on an even year is the smarter move because most of the best Texas bands dont have G Nats caliber shows and are instead trying to do well at UIL, so Carmel could come in and potentially win.

Personally, I really would love to see the Oklahoma schools lay claim to the San Antonio super regional as well. I know that most of them wouldnt make finals very often, but there are plenty of great Texas bands that still come every year knowing that their chances of making finals aren't great.

There are a large number of great bands in Oklahoma that aren't named Broken Arrow that could be competitive, mostly from the Tulsa area. Union, Owasso, Bixby, Jenks, Mustang, Edmonds... Now, I do understand that St Louis seems to be their super regional of choice, but I think if they ever made the trip they would see how great of an experience it is down here and it would help them to improve at a more rapid pace than St. Louis does.

If San Antonio ever adopts a semifinals format (which I know is not likely) then we would be much more likely to get out of state competitors. That being said, kudos to Camdenton for making the trip and giving a great performance!

#29 FloMoParent

FloMoParent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationFlower Mound, TX

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:03 PM

Perhaps what isnt being said is that Carmel wants to do what Avon wasnt able to do. Coming on an even year is the smarter move because most of the best Texas bands dont have G Nats caliber shows and are instead trying to do well at UIL, so Carmel could come in and potentially win.

Personally, I really would love to see the Oklahoma schools lay claim to the San Antonio super regional as well. I know that most of them wouldnt make finals very often, but there are plenty of great Texas bands that still come every year knowing that their chances of making finals aren't great.

There are a large number of great bands in Oklahoma that aren't named Broken Arrow that could be competitive, mostly from the Tulsa area. Union, Owasso, Bixby, Jenks, Mustang, Edmonds... Now, I do understand that St Louis seems to be their super regional of choice, but I think if they ever made the trip they would see how great of an experience it is down here and it would help them to improve at a more rapid pace than St. Louis does.

If San Antonio ever adopts a semifinals format (which I know is not likely) then we would be much more likely to get out of state competitors. That being said, kudos to Camdenton for making the trip and giving a great performance!

Isn't the Oklahoma state marching championship usually the same weekend as BOA - SA?

We ARE Flower Mound!
#FloMoBringTheMoJo

#30 principalagent

principalagent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:04 PM

Isn't the Oklahoma state marching championship usually the same weekend as BOA - SA?

Depends. It was during region week this year and most often during area.

#31 jcbg

jcbg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationCypress, TX

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:53 PM

We go every year so I would bet money that’s not going to change.

I meant to watch, but yeah.  :P

Cy-Fair Horn Alumni

2014: It's In The Cards - 14th at UIL State

2015: The Muse - 17th at BOA San Antonio

2016: Deja Vu - 7th at BOA Houston, 20th at UIL State

2017: Journey - 8th at BOA Houston, 1st at LSP, 20th at BOA San Antonio

#32 Bandisdope

Bandisdope

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:22 PM

Notable Jumps:

Timber Creek - 7 places from 24 to 17 

Coppell - 7 places from 25 to 18

Vista Ridge - 12 places from 16 to 4

All 3 have a really good chance at making BOA SA Finals (of course Vista Ridge). I believe Coppell is making the trip to Grand Nationals next year for the first time in school history and is looking to make finals. As a close friend of people from both Coppell and Timber Creek, I can't wait to see where this rivalry will take them. 

#33 MadisonBandMan1

MadisonBandMan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:13 PM

Notable Jumps:

Timber Creek - 7 places from 24 to 17

Coppell - 7 places from 25 to 18
Vista Ridge - 12 places from 16 to 4

All 3 have a really good chance at making BOA SA Finals (of course Vista Ridge). I believe Coppell is making the trip to Grand Nationals next year for the first time in school history and is looking to make finals. As a close friend of people from both Coppell and Timber Creek, I can't wait to see where this rivalry will take them.

Madison - 15 places, 55 to 40. Sorry if that sounds like bragging. I’m not trying to.

Trombone player

2016 - EnLIGHTened

2018 - The Ascent

I love weather and music. Hot and steamy summers combined with marching rehearsal = heaven!

#34 Mash

Mash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:16 PM

Madison - 15 places, 55 to 40. Sorry if that sounds like bragging. I’m not trying to.

Take pride in it!  You aren't bragging.

#35 Nny14

Nny14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:33 PM

That's substantial improvement and it's not a suprise. The best Madison has been.

#36 MadisonBandMan1

MadisonBandMan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:23 PM

That's substantial improvement and it's not a suprise. The best Madison has been.

Thank you!

Trombone player

2016 - EnLIGHTened

2018 - The Ascent

#37 ranian04

ranian04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFlower Mound, Texas

Posted 05 November 2018 - 11:10 PM

I believe Vista Ridge and Coppell will do extremely well. 

#38 natertater21000

natertater21000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:14 AM

And an 82.6!! That's nearly 10 points higher than last year. You can't quite compare year to year(although I'd argue 17 and 18 scores are very similar) but however you slice it, that's a big leap. Congrats on your hardwork and successful season!

#39 MadisonBandMan1

MadisonBandMan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:45 AM

And an 82.6!! That's nearly 10 points higher than last year. You can't quite compare year to year(although I'd argue 17 and 18 scores are very similar) but however you slice it, that's a big leap. Congrats on your hardwork and successful season!

Thank you so much! We definitely worked hard for it!

Trombone player

2016 - EnLIGHTened

2018 - The Ascent

#40 HaysBandFan

HaysBandFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 04:17 AM

Jack C. Hays - 17 places, 51 to 34. Such an accomplishment for both of our bands. Awesome work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users