How is the 8 hour rule enforced? More specifically, how would UIL know that a school went over the time?

Plenty of ways.  Some band kids are more familiar with UIL rules than a lot of directors give them credit for sometimes...I'd also say that just about every school has at least one kid or parent who lurks on this board and has learned a thing or two.  All it would take is a single disgruntled kid that complained to the right people, and an investigation would take place.

And my sarcasm was completely lost in my last post.

More like you don't recognize when your sarcasm is being ignored because you haven't been making a meaningful contribution to the topic. Additionally, you mischaracterized what I said...again...so it required correction. Your kids won the 6A Texas SMBC and you still want to whine about some perceived slight. Lighten up. Try asking, "What else could this mean?"

...denigrate the efforts and skills of my kids and I'll go a little dark.

I asked you before but I guess I have to ask you again. How did I previously insult, and now denigrate, your kids? I've said I loved the show, called it wonderful, magnificent, said the solos were exquisite, band was great and clearly most improved over last year and the level of improvement was likely unprecedented considering how good they already were, said it was a genius design, your Director made masterful choices, and I wasn't surprised they won the 6A SMBC. There were so many compliments it creates a ridiculous run-on sentence when they are strung together. How dare I also have the temerity to suggest areas of possible improvement?

Are you always so obtuse or is this a special occasion? (That's a genuine question.)

Or did you not understand something I said? After all, denigrate is a word fairly far outside the comfort zone of your usual vocabulary considering the context provided by your post history. (Okay, that was a little insulting but it wasn't aimed at your kids. My turn for sarcasm now.)

Maybe you should ask your Director to explain what I said. I'm confident they understand the difference between UIL and BOA. That's what this thread is about, not your kids. (Now we're back to being genuine. No sarcasm.)

Returning to the question you didn't answer. Did the BOA Judges insult or denigrate your kids by not giving them 1st place? What about the UIL Judges who also didn't think they were 1st place? The Prelims placements were 1,6,1,2,2, and Finals were 1,4,2,1,1. Are the 2's okay with you? Is the 4 in music where they cross the line into insult and denigration? What about the 6 in music? Does that one really sting, or are they somehow entitled to an opinion but I'm not?

Last year I talked to a bunch of Vista Ridge kids after they barely missed Finals at BOA SA and they were so disappointed. I told them I was disappointed too because I thought they have what it takes. I told them I thought they could really play and to keep working hard because next year they might have a show design that did a better job of showing what they could do. So with that in mind, and the idea that if anybody should be insulted by what I said it should be the UIL, I'm going to ask you to read the thread again. Maybe this time you will notice all the nice things I said about Vista Ridge. The other stuff might be helpful too if you want to understand why they didn't win the Super Regional as well, because it wasn't the difference between runs.

The internet is a great place to feel insulted if that's what you're looking for. It can also be a great place to learn from constructive feedback and different perspectives but you have to be looking for that specifically, instead of insults.

This also isn't the forum, or at least the thread, for getting your boots licked after your kids win the 6A SMBC. But the internet does have forums like that and Google can help you find them. :) (Aaaaand there's the sense of humor... )

I've said I loved the show, called it wonderful, magnificent, said the solos were exquisite, band was great and clearly most improved over last year and the level of improvement was likely unprecedented considering how good they already were, said it was a genius design, your Director made masterful choices, and I wasn't surprised they won the 6A SMBC. There were so many compliments it creates a ridiculous run-on sentence when they are strung together. How dare I also have the temerity to suggest areas of possible improvement?

I talked to a bunch of Vista Ridge kids after they barely missed Finals at BOA SA and they were so disappointed. I told them I was disappointed too because I thought they have what it takes. I told them I thought they could really play and to keep working hard because next year they might have a show design that did a better job of showing what they could do. So with that in mind, and the idea that if anybody should be insulted by what I said it should be the UIL, I'm going to ask you to read the thread again. Maybe this time you will notice all the nice things I said about Vista Ridge. The other stuff might be helpful too if you want to understand why they didn't win the Super Regional as well, because it wasn't the difference between runs

Oh my word, is this really necessary? How is this helpful? Maybe put down the electronic device after midnight, I don’t know, but something. I enjoy many of your comments, but this was just flat out hateful and rude.

Yes, clearly just hateful and rude. I must have completely misunderstood the part where he clearly said he was taking shots at me. Your comments also typically reflect a more balanced understanding of the issues...

Maybe you haven't noticed but many of my comments are late in the evening. Not all of us work a normal or consistent schedule.

Yes, clearly just hateful and rude. I must have completely misunderstood the part where he clearly said he was taking shots at me. Your comments also typically reflect a more balanced understanding of the issues...

Maybe you haven't noticed but many of my comments are late in the evening. Not all of us work a normal or consistent schedule.

I am honestly trying to give you the benefit of the doubt because I do enjoy a lot of your posts, but sometimes you seem rather belligerent if someone disagrees with you. Or if someone feels offended by your bluntness. Yes, it’s the internet. Yes, we all have a right to say what we think. No, we aren’t always going to see eye to eye on things. I just feel that this forum is different. We, for the most part, are proud to be from the best state in the country for marching band. We love that so many of our bands are mega talented and really bring it come competition time. Yes, we have our favorites, but for the most part, there is a general Texas camaraderie in this forum based on being a part of such a successful state. And....there are children here. Reading and absorbing everything we say about their programs. And watching how we interact with each other. I just want this particular forum to remain a safe place for both the band kiddos and for the community here that so obviously loves everything band related.

You are right. I made an assumption that you were just up too late last night and might have said things you would regret in the morning. Obviously people do work schedules that are not what many of us would call normal. My husband is one of those and I apologize for not taking that into consideration and for just assuming you were up too late.

I regret making comments that furthered this discussion. I see now that it hasn't been a productive one and I'm not sure what if anything is hoping to be accomplished.

this is a forum to discuss the opinions of many - opinions are a lot like.....Feet, while everyone has them, some times they may stink - it does not mean they are wrong.

I enjoy reading everyone's opinion - even though I think they all stink if they do not match up with mine - keep posting - discussion is always good

• 3 weeks later...

For what it’s worth, I think Vista would have taken SA had they had the run that they had at UIL, and maybe even with their SA run had they been a bigger “brand name” band in BOA. As much as I love BOA I can’t disagree entirely with those who say that name matters in BOA.

vista had an extremely expansive range of general effects and effected me generally like no show has generally effected me before, i have never hurt my hands clapping for a show but that one did it every time

For what it’s worth, I think Vista would have taken SA had they had the run that they had at UIL, and maybe even with their SA run had they been a bigger “brand name” band in BOA. As much as I love BOA I can’t disagree entirely with those who say that name matters in BOA.

vista had an extremely expansive range of general effects and effected me generally like no show has generally effected me before, i have never hurt my hands clapping for a show but that one did it every time

Agree completely with everything you said. It’s partly why the Indiana bands plus Tarpon and Broken Arrow are usually top 4 or 5 at GN. And partly why Texas 5A and 6A bands commonly make finals there. Expectations say these things should always happen and they usually always do. I’m not saying it’s guaranteed to happen...just that it is most likely a factor.

Vista Ridge hit everyone in the feels this season. It was a beautiful thing.

I also got much the same feeling from John B Alexander though I knew the superior marching and musical skill wasn’t strong enough to get them into finals. They definitely had an impact on me.

Agree completely with everything you said. It’s partly why the Indiana bands plus Tarpon and Broken Arrow are usually top 4 or 5 at GN. And partly why Texas 5A and 6A bands commonly make finals there. Expectations say these things should always happen and they usually always do. I’m not saying it’s guaranteed to happen...just that it is most likely a factor.

Vista Ridge hit everyone in the feels this season. It was a beautiful thing.

I also got much the same feeling from John B Alexander though I knew the superior marching and musical skill wasn’t strong enough to get them into finals. They definitely had an impact on me.

The momentum that Vista's show gained over the course of the last week and a half of the season was so thrilling to experience. Almost as enjoyable as the performances was watching the reactions of others, outside the VR family. The countless handshakes, pats on the back, smiles and good wishes from complete strangers is something I will carry with me forever.

All of that emotion kept building the performances. The kids fed off of the energy from the crowds and each time it carried over into what they put into the next run. It was so much fun to watch that process.