Must have been quite the penalty!

Most penalties in UIL are a 1 division rating drop or a straight DQ, why it's that way, I don't know, it's extremely harsh for a simple mistake and can go as far as to punish other bands by reducing state spots. Plus it's somewhat redundant in regions with 2 or less of a classification because they go to area regardless of rating. 

Allen kid here. Yup, we went over the 8-minute time limit (by 3 seconds). Pretty crushing situation for us, especially the seniors who did not ever imagine region would be our last performance.

Apparently, there were some issues regarding the timekeeper with other bands as well, so it's getting appealed. If you watch the performance from first to last note, it's under 8 minutes by around 20 seconds, but it's hard to tell from the rules what exactly starts the clock. Nothing is super clear right now, but it's all in the hands of UIL at this point...we shall see.

I held off on commenting until things shook out and we knew final resolution.  It's very unfortunate that the timing issue occurred, but rules are rules.  I was really looking forward to this show making its wide debut at Area contest, as it is absolutely the best show Allen has put on the field since I've been involved with the program.  I think it also would have changed a lot of preconceived notions that many people hold about what a band the size of Allen can do.  This show was designed to take advantage of the size of the band, and the musical performance was worked to a very high level (a process that started with last year's show).  There is no doubt in my mind that Allen would have been a finalist at Area, and had a very good shot at advancing to state.

With two more years to develop under this leadership, they will be a force to contend with in 2020 UIL competition.

I held off on commenting until things shook out and we knew final resolution. It's very unfortunate that the timing issue occurred, but rules are rules. I was really looking forward to this show making its wide debut at Area contest, as it is absolutely the best show Allen has put on the field since I've been involved with the program. I think it also would have changed a lot of preconceived notions that many people hold about what a band the size of Allen can do. This show was designed to take advantage of the size of the band, and the musical performance was worked to a very high level (a process that started with last year's show). There is no doubt in my mind that Allen would have been a finalist at Area, and had a very good shot at advancing to state.

With two more years to develop under this leadership, they will be a force to contend with in 2020 UIL competition.

You guys should go to BOA Grand Nats. It would blow everyone’s mind outside of Texas. :D

You guys should go to BOA Grand Nats. It would blow everyone’s mind outside of Texas. :D

As fun as that might be, the logistics and cost of taking the Escadrille on that kind of trip is very daunting, to say the least.  When we did the Rose Parade a few years ago, it was like moving a small city - 2 semi trucks, and we didn't take any props.

As fun as that might be, the logistics and cost of taking the Escadrille on that kind of trip is very daunting, to say the least.  When we did the Rose Parade a few years ago, it was like moving a small city - 2 semi trucks, and we didn't take any props.

Ugh, I didn't think of that.  Well, Music Travel Consultants can get enough airplanes chartered for your band, and y'all could plan a show with no props.  :D  I'm just thinking of how stunned folks in Lucas Oil Stadium would be when you guys took the field.   :lol:

Area Schedule

2. Marcus - 9:30a

3. North Mesquite - 9:45a

3. Rowlett - 10:00a

3. JJ Pearce - 10:15a

25. McKinney - 10:30a

BREAK 10:45a

3. Lake Highlands - 11:00a

3. Sachse - 11:15a

3. Richardson - 11:30a

3. Mesquite - 11:45a

2. Flower Mound -  12:00p