Samuell              4

Segoville            4

S. Oak Cliff        3

Spruce               2

Sunset              3

Wilson               1

Conrad              2

Highland Park   1

I always thought 3 was the lowest given.   

Last year I went to a competition that had mainly 2a, 3a, and 4a bands.    One band, which traveled pretty far
was from a private school I think.   They had no color guard and pretty much just one or two of each instrument.
You had to wait between movements for one of the percussion members to replace one drum for another between 
movements.  Then at one point, I think the drum major just got off the podium and stood on the sideline while 

one of the band directors or chaperones kind of hugged her (not sure if she was sick, or what happened) .   so someone 
else got up on the podium and started directing.   Then to make matters worse,  they actually went longer than the 
time limit by quite a bit.    I seriously wanted to just walk down there and give those kids a hug!    

I guess this region shatters the idea that anyone can get a 1 Rating.   To be honest, over the years, this has been the Region that has had more Bands given lower scores than any others I can remember.  You do not see many 5's. In todays contests a 3 is a Bad Rating.

Region 20 is mostly Dallas ISD, which isn't exactly known for it's outstanding music programs. Most of those programs are full of less fortunate kids. There's some exceptions to getting 4s and 5s like Sunset, Wilson, and I think Thomas Jefferson that get 1s usually. I have respect for any director able to bring a program to do that in that area.

I'd also like to mention Skyline as an exception. They have made great strides over the past few years and even received a 1 from a judge this year. Watching their performance on Tuesday night, I told the people around me that this was a Rainbow (1,2,3 from the judges) in the making, and that is exactly how it turned out.

Wow! How do you tell if it's going to be a rainbow? That's some amazing observation or just prediction

Wow! How do you tell if it's going to be a rainbow? That's some amazing observation or just prediction

If you can see enough pretty decent stuff and enough pretty not decent stuff in the same show, you can start to suspect. Especially if you can kind of separate into categories where it’s reasonable that one judge would focus on one good aspect, another judge would look st the not so good, and another judge is looking at both.

I always thought 3 was the lowest given.   

Last year I went to a competition that had mainly 2a, 3a, and 4a bands.    One band, which traveled pretty far

was from a private school I think.   They had no color guard and pretty much just one or two of each instrument.

You had to wait between movements for one of the percussion members to replace one drum for another between 

movements.  Then at one point, I think the drum major just got off the podium and stood on the sideline while 

one of the band directors or chaperones kind of hugged her (not sure if she was sick, or what happened) .   so someone 

else got up on the podium and started directing.   Then to make matters worse,  they actually went longer than the 

time limit by quite a bit.    I seriously wanted to just walk down there and give those kids a hug!    

Okay that is just wrong.  I blame the band director for that!  How dare you bring those kids to that kind of competition and NOT PREPARE THEM!!!!!   :angry:  :angry:

Stepping off my soapbox now.  (BUT COME ON!).  

I guess this region shatters the idea that anyone can get a 1 Rating.   To be honest, over the years, this has been the Region that has had more Bands given lower scores than any others I can remember.  You do not see many 5's. In todays contests a 3 is a Bad Rating.

Yes, that is just terrible!  Makes me feel sick for that poor band.  You just have to wonder what kind of direction those kids are getting!

If you can see enough pretty decent stuff and enough pretty not decent stuff in the same show, you can start to suspect. Especially if you can kind of separate into categories where it’s reasonable that one judge would focus on one good aspect, another judge would look st the not so good, and another judge is looking at both.

Exactly this. They actually sounded fairly decent, somewhere between a 1 and 2. But their marching wasn't quite as good; lots of upper body and other individual issues, but they're spacing was also fairly decent. Basically, there was a whole lot of well done stuff, but there were also a lot of low points; it wasn't a consistent 2.

Okay that is just wrong.  I blame the band director for that!  How dare you bring those kids to that kind of competition and NOT PREPARE THEM!!!!!   :angry:  :angry:

Agreed, no programs should EVER get below a 3. Most 5As and 6As really shouldn't even be getting 3s, unless a director is pulling them out of a past that's full of bad ratings, but consistent 3s in a large school is unacceptable. You have 1000s of kids to put together a program that can be considered 2nd division at the least, even if it takes a few years, and if that's not happening it's either poor support from the school or the directors, maybe both.

I remember my high school choir director always talked about how wrong it was for groups to be given ratings below a 3 because it is just so disheartening. Then one week she was hired to be the head judge at a UIL choir competition somewhere and came back and said she changed her mind. The kids apparently just stumbled on stage and then when the music started they looked around at each other and a few tried singing but most had no idea what was going on. She said it was the most uncomfortable experience ever and they very obviously got 5s from every judge. Apparently there were other groups that were close to that level on lack of preparation. It is very sad to think that that is the music education some students are getting, especially when you consider the quality of music education across the board in Texas is so high. :(

All I could think of is the band director was trying to have the kids experience it and watch the other bands.  There were other really small bands there too that put on nice shows, so it's not that they were so small they couldn't do anything. But yes, I could have done a better job getting those kids prepared to perform.  They actually had a few good players (I remember the trumpet sounding pretty good) that they could have showcased more and worked around that.    But I did feel so bad for those kids at the end.  I know we all stood up when they finished.   then I realized when all the drum majors lined up to get the participation awards and get results, they were not present so they had already left.   I think they were from the Houston area so to travel all the way to North Texas it just seemed really weird not to stay and learn from the experience.           

All I could think of is the band director was trying to have the kids experience it and watch the other bands.  There were other really small bands there too that put on nice shows, so it's not that they were so small they couldn't do anything. But yes, I could have done a better job getting those kids prepared to perform.  They actually had a few good players (I remember the trumpet sounding pretty good) that they could have showcased more and worked around that.    But I did feel so bad for those kids at the end.  I know we all stood up when they finished.   then I realized when all the drum majors lined up to get the participation awards and get results, they were not present so they had already left.   I think they were from the Houston area so to travel all the way to North Texas it just seemed really weird not to stay and learn from the experience.           

Hopefully the director wasn't just trying to shame the kids!  I can see using it as a learning tool, or even an incentive to get better, but it sure seems like a cruel way to go about it.  And then not to even stay.  Sounds like the director knew they sucked and didn't want to stay.  But what kind of teaching is that?  I don't know...

Hopefully the director wasn't just trying to shame the kids! I can see using it as a learning tool, or even an incentive to get better, but it sure seems like a cruel way to go about it. And then not to even stay. Sounds like the director knew they sucked and didn't want to stay. But what kind of teaching is that? I don't know...

At Pre-UIL style invitationals, it's not uncommon for weak bands to leave early to spare kids shame at results, at these contests the ratings can be often 1-2 divisions better than what you would get at UIL, so a 3 or 4 at those competitions often provokes "ooh"s and even very rude laughing in the crowds of disrepectful groups. So it's just to spare the kids some negative feelings, but why you would travel from Houston to North Texas in this situation and leave early is beyond me! If you're going to go that far, stay and watch.