HORNRANK - Thoughts on the rankings in a non-Indy year

WOW - following the most recent ranking - in a year with almost no Texas presence compared to the the past few years, at Indy it will be interesting to see how these finish the season.

but I believe that 4 of the top 5 that are not from Texas (Carmel/BA/Tarpon/Avon) and will not compete against the many top Texas Bands this year. I am hopeful that the lack of Texas bands this year will create a massive #TeamTexas in 2019. 

Last year at Indy - 6 Texas bands competed and 4 advanced to finals (and 4 Tx Bands in 2016 as well). I would love to see Texas Bands own the majority next year in finals.

the rumor mill is flying and I am sure it will grow on who will attend next year. my assumptions - and these are nothing but that....Assumptions for 2019 GNats

• TWHS - their recent history has been attending in non-state years - always a finalist 
  • Hebron - they have come very close with a Bronze in 2015 - and have to have an itch to return - always a finalist
  • Keller - 2015 finalist
  • Round Rock - 2013/2015/2017 Finalist
  • Cedar Park - 2016 Finalist
  • Leander  2016 Finalist
  • Reagan - 2016 Finalist
  • CTJ - 2016 Finalist
  • Marcus - 2017 Finalist
  • FloMo - 2017 Finalist 

Imagine if these programs all ended  up in Indy next year.

these rankings this year will be driven by BOA SA - and possibly by 6A UIL State rankings - still lots of the season to go - hang on...

If I was a betting person I’d say yes to Hebron attending in 2019 but no to Flower Mound and Marcus. I expect they’ll return in 2021.

I hope to see Hebron but hope you are wrong on FloMo/Marcus, but understand that it can be an issue with multiple schools from the same district. I would assume that this is because that they are fundraising from the same population base and that becomes difficult. not just for GNats but when you see programs in the same district that are doing Rose Parade and Macy  at the same time.

I hope to see Hebron but hope you are wrong on FloMo/Marcus, but understand that it can be an issue with multiple schools from the same district. I would assume that this is because that they are fundraising from the same population base and that becomes difficult. not just for GNats but when you see programs in the same district that are doing Rose Parade and Macy at the same time.

When Flower Mound went in 2014, BOA SA was 2 weeks before Grand Nats and 6A State was still 1-1/2 weeks before GN. I wonder if that separation of time had continued if Flower Mound would have gone this year and not last year, but the decrease in the gap between the contests probably settled that. I can’t imagine how a school does BOA SA, State and GN in like a 10-day window. That’s an incredible undertaking.

When Flower Mound went in 2014, BOA SA was 2 weeks before Grand Nats and 6A State was still 1-1/2 weeks before GN. I wonder if that separation of time had continued if Flower Mound would have gone this year and not last year, but the decrease in the gap between the contests probably settled that. I can’t imagine how a school does BOA SA, State and GN in like a 10-day window. That’s an incredible undertaking.

you are correct - and in 2016 we saw CTJ withdraw from State finals to be prepared for GNats - Reagan did both State and GNats that year.

that issue is what I believe is why we see no major 6A programs going to GNats this year - 

State changing from a 1 day to a 2 day event had an impact as well - 

if you perform BOA SA on Friday - during school hours, 

2 days out if you make state finals

then 2-3 more days for Indy Trip - only the UIL performances are excused and that is a lot of days out of class in a 3 week period

Is this the driver for Gnats participation this year - could be and I think we will see more programs take TWHS plan of odd years in Indy either every other or every 4th year - if the district has issues with multiple schools going at the same time - we could see some districts with 3 big programs locked into a schedule of GNats every 6 years

again a reason to create a GNats South - just my thoughts

point taken - I did not look that far back - but I edited the quote to make your point - so should we expect to see them in 2019?? - I hope so - GO ROCK - GO BAND- GO ROCK BAND!!!

It's possible this might not be the case. I know the rationale for going in 2013 was the Director believed strong finishes at the San Antonio Super Regional the past two years gave confidence the group could make Grand National finals (and we did!). However, with the changes in staff and failure to make San Antonio finals in 2017 (and most likely this year as well :( ) it's possible they might hold off in 2019. This is just conjecture from an alumnus, but I think it could happen.

I personally like the thought process that TWHS has used - going to GNats on non-state years. if you are building a program for State during even years and BOA on odd years the random process of picking a year is hard. And I understand that there is a huge cost associated with it. but if it is known and understood that there is a trip every odd year to GNats

if you look at the 3 medal winners in the San Antonio Super Regional for the past 4 years (2014 to 2017) only 1 of those 16 medal winners went on to compete 2 weeks later in Indy (Leander 2016 BOA SA Bronze - 6th in Indy)

again, I know that there is a huge cost, but if you plan and it is understood going in that it is the plan it should be able to be managed or attempted

just my thoughts

Keller went to BOA GN in 2015 and had district approval to return in 2017 and 2019 but decided to march in the 2018 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade instead. My understanding is they do not have district approval for out of state travel in back to back years. 2020 is a 6A State Marching Contest year so 2021 is their next likely trip to Indy.

Unfortunately that's way too long an absence for a band with this much potential. Perhaps Timber Creek or Keller Central could make the trip before then but the logical year would be 2019 and that's right around the corner so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

(There's a familiar 6A pattern in there for anyone looking for it.)

Edit: BTW, Keller Central went in 2015 too and was a Semi-Finalist. Moving forward plans for KC an TC probably depend on making BOA SA Finals and perhaps more than once.

Keller went to BOA GN in 2015 and had district approval to return in 2017 and 2019 but decided to march in the 2018 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade instead. My understanding is they do not have district approval for out of state travel in back to back years. 2020 is a 6A State Marching Contest year so 2021 is their next likely trip to Indy.

Unfortunately that's way too long an absence for a band with this much potential. Perhaps Timber Creek or Keller Central could make the trip before then but the logical year would be 2019 and that's right around the corner so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

(There's a familiar 6A pattern in there for anyone looking for it.)

Edit: BTW, Keller Central went in 2015 too and was a Semi-Finalist. Moving forward plans for KC an TC probably depend on making BOA SA Finals and perhaps more than once.

I agree - the prolonged absence is the issue and my point

If I look at the trending data going back to 1990 - only 2 programs in Texas have brought home the Eagle

LD Bell - in a 12 year span they attended GNats 9 times including 6 years in a row from 2005 to 2010  winning 1 gold, 3 silvers, and 2 bronze medals

TWHS - since 1998, they have attended GNats 10 times winning the gold in 2013

Reagan - has attended 6 times with 4 of them in a 6 year span and took 2 silvers in that time.

I think we can all agree that Texas has some of the finest marching arts programs in the country - the point of the original post is are those programs going to be happy with a ranking from Horn Rank - or bringing home the Eagle

it is just a shame that so many programs in Texas finish strong in San Antonio and do not make it to the field in Indy - so my hope would be for more of those programs that medal in SA advance or recognize that BOA SA is more comparable to GNats.

There are actually 4 GN champions from Texas. The woodlands (2013), LD Bell (2007), Westfield (2003), and Spring (1993). I was actually surprised to find that Texas has the 3rd most GN championships, but your point still stands. There are many shows that don’t get the national appreciation that they deserve.

I guess at the end of the day, SA is less expensive and still a very competitive and prestigious contest.