The "tips, hints, and great things to know" for band parents

FloMoParent

The greatest thing about band is that it's a community....there are no "rivals".  My favorite pictures are the ones where our kids were interacting with other bands. 

Like I said in another thread, the best example is the Marcus fans/parents....my first kid's freshman year, I saw them give every band an standing ovation.  That set the standard for me.

One of my favorite moments from last year was at a competition...our pit crew was done loading and we saw another band struggling with their props. The band director was in a suit trying to load the props with kids in their uniforms.  Our group hopped over and gave them a hand and we didn't think anything of it. 

one of my favorite "Band t-shirts" is the one that says "Proud to be LISD with the logos of Flower Mound, Hebron, and Marcus on it (from 6A State in 2016)

One of my favorite moments from last year was at a competition...our pit crew was done loading and we saw another band struggling with their props. The band director was in a suit trying to load the props with kids in their uniforms.  Our group hopped over and gave them a hand and we didn't think anything of it. 

I was a student on the receiving end of a very similar situation 2 years ago. Large gusts of wind toppled multiple of our props (I'll add that we even arranged them to avoid wind issues), and the pit crew next to us helped us get them stood back up for deconstruction (IIRC, it was FloMo parents who had just finished loading up Leonardo's wings). It's definitely one of those things that I'll remember when I'm done with marching band.

And to the original poster's point.....VOLUNTEER!!!

I think the biggest step you take is the very first step....some people are afraid that the task is too big or that they weren't in band so they won't know what to do.  That couldn't be farther from the truth because once you're in, you're hooked. 

These kids are amazing and so talented....you can't help but want to be a part of the band once you start volunteering.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't ever be afraid to ask, "how can I help?" Or say " they've got enough people"....believe me, there's ALWAYS a job for you! Volunteer, feed them, hang up uniforms, do hair (bless you girl moms!), bring extra socks...do all the things. The more we do, the more they can focus on the music and I agree, they may not say it, but they love having you there. The days are long, but the years are short. Enjoy the ride, my friends!

There are exceptions to this - chaperones and pit crew (if they don't stand on the field) usually have to leave immediately. So if you see a gaggle of people for a band leaving together (especially at a contest that is not near their home area) they are very likely to be required to catch up with the band as soon as they can. Don't always assume they are being disrespectful.[/quot]

Can vouch for this. On Friday, Henny has to return for classes after their prelim then prepare for a game at Round Rock. Most, I'm sure will be leaving. On Saturday...look for us to be camping in the stands.

Good luck and safe travels to all at San Antonio SR this weekend.

There are exceptions to this - chaperones and pit crew (if they don't stand on the field) usually have to leave immediately. So if you see a gaggle of people for a band leaving together (especially at a contest that is not near their home area) they are very likely to be required to catch up with the band as soon as they can. Don't always assume they are being disrespectful.

Yes, but that is a limited number of people in the stands.  I have seen many non-chaperones/pit crew show up 5 minutes prior to a band playing and leaving immediately after their band plays at many band competitions.  I have also seen many people put their hands away for any band other than their own.  All the bands work hard and some have to travel extremely long distances and have limited crowd support, they all deserve it.

We have met a lot of great people from other schools from all around Texas and had a great time hanging out watching the bands.

something that missed the list:

- If you want to have a blast at a contest (BOA San Antonio especially) plan a tailgate between prelims and finals.  At San Antonio you can't leave the parking lot without paying to re-enter, get with a few of your band friends and have a gathering in the parking lot. 

The last time I was there, it was only on one side

That’s what I’m thinking but I am hoping you can get in on the south end as well. The townhouse we are renting very near there is southwest of the dome and we plan to walk. I guess we can go ahead and walk up to the south side and go around the dome right there beside the structure itself rather than taking the streets all the way around.