• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 dwilliams99

dwilliams99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:45 PM

A few years back I switched to Yanagisawa. Out on the web they are considered one of the big 4 (Sel, Yam, Keil being the others).

I began to have big problems with my Super Action 80, and didn't like the tone I produced on serie II & III.

When I first got my A991 alto, I can say that I didn't like it. It is extremely heavy built. I learned that it wanted to be driven hard like a sports car. It has an incredible tone at volume and projects more than any horn I've owned. I now can play it cleanly even at subtone levels, but it took time.

The one really cool thing out of the box was the intonation. I put it on the tuner and nailed virtually the entire scale of the horn. I'm not a great 'in-tune' guy...so that was big for me.

Anyway, I've since added and S-902 bronze soprano and T-901 tenor to the arsenal. They are without question the horns for me. I'm not doggin Selmer or anyone else as horns (and our relationships with them) are a very personal thing.

If anyone has questions about Yanagisawa please let me know.

Thanks,

#42 ginnyqoa

ginnyqoa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

I would say a Selmer. Yamahas have not been good to me, but my trusty old Selmer is like a tank in the way of marching season. Dirt, grime, the works, and its an easy clean and fix. Yamahas are ok for concert season, but with shifted fingers I find them hard to play on for marching. Also, your mouthpiece is very important to the sound of the rest of your instrument. The worst instrument will sound tons better with a good motuhpiece. I have a Selmer C* and its fantastic. They're running at $150 to $160 depending on where you buy it from.

#43 bojangles103

bojangles103

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:53 AM

you're playing on V16s? those are jazz reeds...

V16 are rock reeds. They have more heart than Javas but are flatter than traditionals, and thus, louder. I find they're also more consistent. I'm thinking of moving back to V16s.

4s are way too hard though; especially on a C*.

#44 bojangles103

bojangles103

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:59 AM

And my two cents regarding the best saxophone would have to be the Yamaha Custom Z. I have a black laquer because of the warm tone, but any of them sound good. My professor even has a gold plated Z. They work well for classical and jazz, they seem more in tune than many horns I've played, it doesn't feel small like the Selmers, and it has the concave pearls that I like.

And best mouthpiece for classical has to be the Vandoren Optimum. Idk why you'd play on a square chamber for classical. The optimum's just sound better, and are way more in tune.

#45 bojangles103

bojangles103

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:02 AM

Well obviously this is a personal preference issue.

At the moment I play alto and tenor in various ensembles. Im really all about the sound I produce on different horns rather than how technically sound it is (although thats important too)

My unit just got a horn I requested about a year ago a Yanagisawa 992 (bronze) alto. Love the horn to death. Very dark sound (darker than selmers) and the altissimo is just a little easier than my selmer series 2 alto. For Dixie Band and the occasional big band stuff I play on a selmer reference 36. Love that horn too. Been dying to try a yamaha custom z tenor but there wernt any I could find and test at TBA this year.

The Z Tenors are nice.

#46 saxyforever

saxyforever

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

Selmer Super Action 80, and a C* Soloist, best combination there is, for me at least.

#47 mellow

mellow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:58 AM

i heard Cannonballs have rave reviews by some "experts" , do you really think Cannonballs are really the real deal as some people say?

I have a Cannonball for concert season and a Yamaha for marching season. I like the Cannonball much better because it is better quality than my personal Yamaha (though that could vary, my Yamaha is old) and the keys are less inclined to stick. I use the Yamaha for marching band because I don't want to hurt my Cannonball; learning new drill can cause collisions and being rained on at a football game or contest isn't as worrisome as it would be if I used my Cannonball.

#48 PremonitionDrillDesign

PremonitionDrillDesign

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

Selmer Series III Jubilee. It's absolutely astounding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users