Is CTJ's Show an Homage to Donald J Trump?

Title says it all. I was trying to figure out what Tremendous Sea of Love means..The music just isn't typical 'sea music' and links in CTJs shows normally aren't so tenuous...

Passion Pit and Donald Trump were the only references I could find. Passion Pit is nowhere to be found in the show (that I know of), but here is good ol Donny.

(Hint: the show design takes the  most atypical turns and direction I've seen yet)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/26/in-his-first-major-tv-interview-as-president-trump-is-endlessly-obsessed-about-his-popularity/

Title says it all. I was trying to figure out what Tremendous Sea of Love means..The music just isn't typical 'sea music' and links in CTJs shows normally aren't so tenuous...

Passion Pit and Donald Trump were the only references I could find. Passion Pit is nowhere to be found in the show (that I know of), but here is good ol Donny.

(Hint: the show design takes the most atypical turns and direction I've seen yet)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/26/in-his-first-major-tv-interview-as-president-trump-is-endlessly-obsessed-about-his-popularity/

Wow I’m speechless. I really didn’t expect something like this but they do have American Flag Guard flags in their show so it makes a lot of sense. I do think it’s a subtle reference or maybe it’s entirely coincidental but I really hope they aren’t making a crazy political statement out of it.

Wow I’m speechless. I really didn’t expect something like this but they do have American Flag Guard flags in their show so it makes a lot of sense. I do think it’s a subtle reference or maybe it’s entirely coincidental but I really hope they aren’t making a crazy political statement out of it.

WOW!!!! - talking about the world we live in today.....

The show, like most CTJ shows has a story - - the "Tremendous Sea of Love" - Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that - this is a quote from Martin Luther King Jr - there are quotes and actual speeches from MLK Jr and RFK within the show, the american "swing" flags are used during "America the Beautiful" in the closing of the show.

there is no political angle in the show - but rather a historical one

Unrelated to the topic, but I have a CTJ question. Who pays for CTJ to have a new BOA uniform every year? That has to be quite expensive to change unis every single season like they appear to have done the past two! It’s like DCI, and we all know how expensive DCI is!

I’m feeling old and crotchety this morning but I’m starting to miss old school band uniforms, especially in DCI. I can see the band world changing so much and at a very fast pace here recently. I love all the glitz and glamour as much as the next girl, but when is it just too much for a high school?

I agree with you.    I like the glitz and glamour too, but at some point I think it just gets to be too much , especially for high school.   If you look at their website they definitely have tons of sponsors and they must have some great fundraisers too to afford everything.   

But I use to like seeing a band and knowing who they were just by the uniforms, but it's all going away from that.   I was watching the Madison Scouts show and I kept thinking who are you and what have you done with the Scouts?  LOL. 

WOW!!!! - talking about the world we live in today.....

The show, like most CTJ shows has a story - - the "Tremendous Sea of Love" - Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that - this is a quote from Martin Luther King Jr - there are quotes and actual speeches from MLK Jr and RFK within the show, the american "swing" flags are used during "America the Beautiful" in the closing of the show.

there is no political angle in the show - but rather a historical one

Thank you for clearing this up. I guess this is some crazy coincidence!

No offense intended to CTJ, but I'm not a fan of the style of uniforms they use either. They look so weird... I guess it is a nice flash of color when you watch from REALLY far away, but up close they just look awkward.

Also, I am aware that CTJ is not the only ones that use this style, but they seem to be the frontrunners of the movement.

Maybe I am naive but I can not imagine a scenario where the title of this show (and American themes) and the DJT quote is coincidental. The odds of that happening are just FAR too slim.  I completely understand trying to take a "healing" coming together" angle on this moment in our nation's history.  The cynical part of me also thinks this could be some sort of tongue in cheek political statement for the designers or else trying to capitolize on what is a passionate topic for most people in our Country.  

Unrelated to the topic, but I have a CTJ question. Who pays for CTJ to have a new BOA uniform every year? That has to be quite expensive to change unis every single season like they appear to have done the past two! It’s like DCI, and we all know how expensive DCI is!

I’m feeling old and crotchety this morning but I’m starting to miss old school band uniforms, especially in DCI. I can see the band world changing so much and at a very fast pace here recently. I love all the glitz and glamour as much as the next girl, but when is it just too much for a high school?

Here is what I understand about the CTJ uniforms - the school opened in 2008 and have a uniform that was designed as a classic marching band uniform that highlighted the colors of the school. about 6 years ago the program went to a more dance oriented uniform from FJM and those uniforms  where used for 4+ years on the field. but the classic uniform did not go away. The district tries to provide funds for all programs to update uniforms every 7 or 8 years (in a cycle) Last year CTJ used their funding to get their new uniforms that were again designed for their dance/body movement shows. the classic uniform is now 10 years old and is still used.

i have seen the FJM and Horn Rank posts on the "new" uniform for this year, it is the same base uniform with different accessories such as the plume, sash, sleeves etc - this allows them to change the colors to match their show for that year. The classic uniform that is not used during the BOA season is now 10 years old is holding up very well so in effect, they have 2 uniforms  a classic and dance uniform that can look new each year and does not cost any more than any other program.

I agree with you.    I like the glitz and glamour too, but at some point I think it just gets to be too much , especially for high school.   If you look at their website they definitely have tons of sponsors and they must have some great fundraisers too to afford everything.   

But I use to like seeing a band and knowing who they were just by the uniforms, but it's all going away from that.   I was watching the Madison Scouts show and I kept thinking who are you and what have you done with the Scouts?  LOL. 

Ha ha, yes, it's particularly bad with the drum corps!  NONE of them are recognizable anymore.  I admit it.  I don't like it.  AT ALL.  And as much as I loved SCV's show this year, I absolutely abhorred their uniforms.  It's probably just my age talking.  I'm sure the younger folks and high school kids love them.  I'll get used to it.  Just like I got used to BOA style marching over military style and even came to love it.  I am just being cranky most likely.   :lol:

sponsorship and fundraising is a huge part of the program, I doubt that they have anymore sponsors than any others in the area but I know that their website recognizes all business community support, regardless of the size of their support.

I do not speak for the organization, but I have always enjoyed watching their shows because they push the envelop on design and audience engagement  

Maybe I am naive but I can not imagine a scenario where the title of this show (and American themes) and the DJT quote is coincidental. The odds of that happening are just FAR too slim.  I completely understand trying to take a "healing" coming together" angle on this moment in our nation's history.  The cynical part of me also thinks this could be some sort of tongue in cheek political statement for the designers or else trying to capitolize on what is a passionate topic for most people in our Country.  

leave the politics out of it - watch the show, listen to the music, see the story, enjoy the show for what it is..... 350 high school kids that have put a great deal of time and effort into engaging the audience for 10 minutes.

have we truly come to a point that we are going to shame a band because someone reads too much into what they think it may mean...

take a breath - enjoy the show (or don't) and move on

Here is what I understand about the CTJ uniforms - the school opened in 2008 and have a uniform that was designed as a classic marching band uniform that highlighted the colors of the school. about 6 years ago the program went to a more dance oriented uniform from FJM and those uniforms  where used for 4+ years on the field. but the classic uniform did not go away. The district tries to provide funds for all programs to update uniforms every 7 or 8 years (in a cycle) Last year CTJ used their funding to get their new uniforms that were again designed for their dance/body movement shows. the classic uniform is now 10 years old and is still used.

i have seen the FJM and Horn Rank posts on the "new" uniform for this year, it is the same base uniform with different accessories such as the plume, sash, sleeves etc - this allows them to change the colors to match their show for that year. The classic uniform that is not used during the BOA season is now 10 years old is holding up very well so in effect, they have 2 uniforms  a classic and dance uniform that can look new each year and does not cost any more than any other program.

I do love their marching uniform that they wear to ballgames and such.  The baseball cap cracks me up, though.  Do they have a shako that they used to wear with that one?  

LISD and RRISD are the same as far as the district paying for new uniforms every so often.  I know Leander got new ones this year, and I believe some other schools did as well.  It's been awhile!  I was just curious how CTJ paid for new BOA uniforms every year when I saw that Fred Miller blurb about it.  Now that you told me it's just last year's BOA uniforms with new stuff added, it makes more sense!  Thank you for clarifying that.  :)  

leave the politics out of it - watch the show, listen to the music, see the story, enjoy the show for what it is..... 350 high school kids that have put a great deal of time and effort into engaging the audience for 10 minutes.

have we truly come to a point that we are going to shame a band because someone reads too much into what they think it may mean...

take a breath - enjoy the show (or don't) and move on

I agree.  We are much too quick to read something into something that isn't there, and much too quick to be "offended" these days.  We could be SO WRONG about the intent of the theme so let's all just step back and take a big breath!  

sponsorship and fundraising is a huge part of the program, I doubt that they have anymore sponsors than any others in the area but I know that their website recognizes all business community support, regardless of the size of their support.

I do not speak for the organization, but I have always enjoyed watching their shows because they push the envelop on design and audience engagement  

I love their shows...   no doubt about that!     And I appreciate the info on the uniforms as well.   I am pretty sure a number of other schools also have a second "show" uniform that is easier to change up and remove or add things to make it appear new (Flower Mound comes to mind).    Ever since I first saw CTJ in 2012 at the BOA Denton regional (I had no idea what BOA even was back then), I have always loved what they put out there on the field.    

No offense intended to CTJ, but I'm not a fan of the style of uniforms they use either. They look so weird... I guess it is a nice flash of color when you watch from REALLY far away, but up close they just look awkward.

Also, I am aware that CTJ is not the only ones that use this style, but they seem to be the frontrunners of the movement.

I didn't mean to say that I didn't like CTJ's uniforms per se or add any more negative vibe to their show this year.   :(  I just was pondering how things have changed so quickly lately as far as uniforms in general go, and how a high school band pays for new "dance?" uniforms every fall.  But banddad84 cleared that up for me.  

I love the Johnson Jaguar band and can't wait to see what they're bringing to the table this year.  I hope we haven't created a negative tone here that we are COMPLETELY wrong about!  

I generally am unbothered by some of these newer, blingier uniforms.  For me, it's the hats.... Just not a fan of these sort of half-crown things with a pheasant feather or bowlers or some other weird bauble.  Please, just let's keep the classic shako with a 14-inch French upright plume.  I think that some of these weirder shapes actually distort some of the forms and give an overall impression of less clean drill.  But, I suppose even the stranger ones are better than the no-hat look - Yikes!

I do love their marching uniform that they wear to ballgames and such.  The baseball cap cracks me up, though.  Do they have a shako that they used to wear with that one?  

LISD and RRISD are the same as far as the district paying for new uniforms every so often.  I know Leander got new ones this year, and I believe some other schools did as well.  It's been awhile!  I was just curious how CTJ paid for new BOA uniforms every year when I saw that Fred Miller blurb about it.  Now that you told me it's just last year's BOA uniforms with new stuff added, it makes more sense!  Thank you for clarifying that.  :)  

Yes - there is a Shako for the classic uniform - they wore that for the Tournament of Roses in 2014 - but they wear ball caps for the Football games - 

CTJ is not the front runners of the movement - I think they are defining it - but that is just my thoughts.

Nobody is shaming the band. The kids are taking what they get and performing it very well. There's a tweet going viral in the SA area that shows off how well they're playing.

If they are taking the Trump angle (which I'll be honest is the best explanation I've heard so far) then it could be genuine or ironic.

On the other side of the coin, Johnson might've chosen this theme to spark intense discussion in the band world.

Nobody is shaming the band. The kids are taking what they get and performing it very well. There's a tweet going viral in the SA area that shows off how well they're playing.

If they are taking the Trump angle (which I'll be honest is the best explanation I've heard so far) then it could be genuine or ironic.

On the other side of the coin, Johnson might've chosen this theme to spark intense discussion in the band world.

while I seriously doubt that was the intent - love it or hate it - people are talking about the show....and that is always good - no such thing as bad press.

for those that have passed judgement on the show without seeing it - I will sell you a copy -funds will be split to our new uniform fund and a political candidate of my choice

have a great day and enjoy the new season -