Dark Horses and Surprises in 2018

Hey everyone,  I have seen a lot of talk about the perennial powers but what about the dark horses and surprise bands for 2018. It doesn't matter what class or area, lets see who everyone is expecting to step up this year?  I'll admit, I have no idea as I recently got hooked on marching band with my son being in band. So, those of you that know band, what do you think?? :unsure:  

I wouldn't be surprised to see TWHS with a medal again or Leander in the top half of BOA SA. They are sounding a lot better than last year around this time and they usually put out good visual production.

Dark Horse:

-I am really excited to see/hear Vista Ridge's production. Their show is a cool concept. I thought they sounded like a budding state finalist band in a video I saw a couple of weeks ago.

-Duncanville also has a cool show theme and new design leadership (if I'm not mistaken), so cannot wait to see them return to BOA.

Surprises: 

-I'm curious to Marcus handling of Drinkwater retiring. Her direction really made them shine.

-There have been pretty big shake ups at Round Rock and Henny. No clue what they will lead to.

-Argyle's director also retired and they got someone from Richland. Curious if they'll return to state champ after they were narrowly edged out by N Lamar via judges preference.

-Pearland had a very underrated show last year, I'm curious to their showing this year.

-Del Rio impressed me when I saw their Midland show, I want to see them grow.

Bowie, Keller, Timber Creek, and Prosper will be surprises this year.

CTJ, Hebron, Vandegrift, and Ronald Reagan will remain extremely strong.

I just found a video of CTJ and wow. It’s nowhere near where I expected. They’re still intresting but they aren’t close to last year at all. You guys can form your own opinions here: https://youtu.be/PY_obuSYBEY

I think CTJ wins the award for best 350 member dance team! Haha. Their drill seems difficult but the music isnt that impressive yet.

---

In regards to this topic, here are the first choices that come to mind:

Keller Central- the more I think about it, the more I remember how much I really like KC. Last year's show was one that I enjoyed watching, but I think was very underrated because it didnt have the general effect factor that BOA shows need. Still, I thought it was a fascinating show design with a more traditional approach and they are good at what they do. KC is obviously very good musically (their concert band advanced to state in area B for honor band this year) so look for them to maybe sneak into one of those last state qualifying spots in area B as their shows seem to do better at UIL.

Flower Mound- this time last year everyone was buzzing about FM, but this year no one is talking about them. We can't forget that their show last year was still really good, just not as clean as we saw the previous two years. I expect them to come back very strong this year with a more UIL friendly show that they will be able to get really clean. I'm sure they will have awesome show design again as well.

I also think that Coppell, Wylie, Westwood, and Clear Brook will be bands to watch for improvement. With so many great bands at BOA SA this year, there will be some great ones that simply wont make it into finals. I think this actually may make it more possible, believe it or not, for a band like this that is just on the outside to sneak in with a really good run, because the bubble will be huge and the scores will be so close together. Weird things happen. We also dont know how the alternating block judging panels will affect things.

I just found a video of CTJ and wow. It’s nowhere near where I expected. They’re still intresting but they aren’t close to last year at all. You guys can form your own opinions here: https://youtu.be/PY_obuSYBEY

I assure you there is a reason why they may not seam so impressive yet, and its something beyond the control of the students and directors. Lets just say they are having to face a lot of adversity.

That's what I'm wondering. Maybe they got an influx of freshmen? I really can't think of anything that would exempt them from criticism. You kind of set yourself up for heavy scrutiny after you win the most difficult BOA of all time.

Don’t worry it’s nothing bad, but weather is one part. A foot of rain in a week is not good for a band.

they are exactly what I expect.  Turbulent, chaotic, mysterious and most likely on the road to greatness.   :lol:

Churchill, Reagan, and Johnson have all dealt with lots of water the past week. Yes, it's a lot of water. But we're not talking Harvey levels of adversity here. 

And I'm sure they all did what most band directors do when they deal with a lot of rain during their prime marching time--they move it indoors and work on perfecting their sound. It's not ideal, but it's not really "adversity." 

It's more like "temporary setback." 

If Plano East can put the show together along with the music I know they are playing, they might be able to sneak into state (which is going to be a tough task in Area B  B).   )
However until I can see their show it's hard to say. 

I really don't think their band/color guard is big enough to make it to BOA finals though.  

Churchill, Reagan, and Johnson have all dealt with lots of water the past week. Yes, it's a lot of water. But we're not talking Harvey levels of adversity here. 

And I'm sure they all did what most band directors do when they deal with a lot of rain during their prime marching time--they move it indoors and work on perfecting their sound. It's not ideal, but it's not really "adversity." 

It's more like "temporary setback." 

you are correct - all 3 have huge freshmen classes and missing time in the pad due to the weather hurts bringing them up to speed- while a pain, I am sure it is workable

Don't know if Flower Mound or CTJ count as dark horses lol.

Westlake, Churchill, Harlingen, and LD Bell are bands I'm trying to keep an eye out for.

Many are counting out Harlingen due to the director change, but many forget, they are the most consistent program in the valley. Those kids don't know any reality where they don't make state.

I've heard it put this way: There may not be a whole lot of flashy stuff going on, but every kid plays and puts out a good controlled sound as well as everyone hitting their sets beautifully.

Funny thing is my former band director went to Harlingen, and then when he retired, his successor also happened to be a Harlingen alumni. I believe Churchill's director is a Harlingen alumni as well. Plus their school sounds like my last name so I'm forced to love them.

Don't know if Flower Mound or CTJ count as dark horses lol.

Westlake, Churchill, Harlingen, and LD Bell are bands I'm trying to keep an eye out for.

Many are counting out Harlingen due to the director change, but many forget, they are the most consistent program in the valley. Those kids don't know any reality where they don't make state.

I've heard it put this way: There may not be a whole lot of flashy stuff going on, but every kid plays and puts out a good controlled sound as well as everyone hitting their sets beautifully.

Funny thing is my former band director went to Harlingen, and then when he retired, his successor also happened to be a Harlingen alumni. I believe Churchill's director is a Harlingen alumni as well. Plus their school sounds like my last name so I'm forced to love them.

the Director at Churchill is a MacArthur grad - the asst director is from Lee - both NEISD grands from SA 

I really enjoyed them last year at BOA Austin. Got there extremely early just to watch, and I wasn’t disappointed!

I was able to catch them at a game this past Thursday. Not only only do they have a great product provided for them by their drill and music, but they are even more eager to impress this year. The way they were focused and performed was outstanding.