27 replies to this topic

#21 whitewing09

whitewing09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 09:45 PM

(Specifically liking the use of ‘alternative fact’)

Politics is basically groups of people interacting and making collective decisions. So, it’s almost impossible to avoid politics, from the bands that we choose to talk about to our silly non sequitur threads.

#22 FEDude

FEDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 10:40 PM

I actually saw a somewhat nasty interaction on this board. Basically someone telling another person they weren't qualified enough to have a certain opinion. The other person deescalated the situation nicely, but that's how rivalries start, with a few contentious students and parents claiming they represent their groups on twitter, Facebook, or even a message board just like this.

How serious a candidate Beto has become actually shocks me. I find him to be principled and willing to work bipartisanly so I plan to vote for him barring any October surprises. I still predict he will lose however and I understand the concerns people have about him.
Makes me wonder if dems will send a serious opponent against Cornyn in 2020.

#23 whitewing09

whitewing09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:17 PM

The fact that Beto is even remotely within striking distance of Teddy is pretty astonishing. Texas has for the most part been as red as roses since my childhood.

#24 1998-2018

1998-2018

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 03:51 AM

Back to math for a moment. I love how music is an audible expression of math. My favorite intentional example of this is the use of the Fibonacci sequence as the foundation for the Tool song Lateralus. I've seen Tool perform this song live 26+ times and it never fails to move me. (I'd have to go count ticket stubs to give an exact number. At some point along the way I stopped keeping track.)

For maximum enjoyment of this student project video I strongly recommend great speakers, or better yet, excellent headphones. High volume is also a requirement. Go ahead and risk a bit of your hearing. Feel the power. I promise it will be worth it.

https://youtu.be/wS7CZIJVxFY

#25 Anthony V

Anthony V

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:33 AM

I actually saw a somewhat nasty interaction on this board. Basically someone telling another person they weren't qualified enough to have a certain opinion. The other person deescalated the situation nicely, but that's how rivalries start, with a few contentious students and parents claiming they represent their groups on twitter, Facebook, or even a message board just like this.

How serious a candidate Beto has become actually shocks me. I find him to be principled and willing to work bipartisanly so I plan to vote for him barring any October surprises. I still predict he will lose however and I understand the concerns people have about him.
Makes me wonder if dems will send a serious opponent against Cornyn in 2020.

An unrelated note, but I'm fairly certain I appreciate your username.

#26 FEDude

FEDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 03:46 AM

Front Ensemble Dude? Yeah I never learned how to march.

Looks like Brett Kavanaugh's is the most contentious Supreme Court hearing of all time. I'm surprised anyone even responded anymore. Even I would probably shy away from this contentious subject.

Anyway, I helped someone in calculus again. I've always marketed myself as a calculus tutor, but nobody ever latched on. Closest thing was helping my ex with precal and her little sister with algebra. Well today I was just helping a coworker. Felt weird to get back in the math game. Thank God I never have to do Calc 3 again. I'd never cried from studying until I took that class.

#27 Anthony V

Anthony V

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:38 AM

Front Ensemble Dude? Yeah I never learned how to march.

Actually I thought it was supposed to be a play in "iron man" -- to be caught by others with STEM predilections. The fact that the "E" was upper case threw me off, which is why I only said "fairly certain." (At least I was right about the STEM predilection part, notwithstanding your difficult experiences with physics).

#28 FEDude

FEDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:40 PM

Dang, that's way more clever than what I thought of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users