Area B 2018

Just a little competition here!

Here is a list of bands I figure will be there... but I will need others to add to list as I don't know all the schools in each region. This is a list of who I think will be there... not finals

Coppell *
Duncanville *
Keller *
Keller Central *
Halcolm *
Richland **
Plano Senior *
Plano East *
Plano West *
Timber Creek *
LD Bell * 
Prosper **
Waxahachie **
Martin *
Fossil Ridge *

Additional 6A Bands (trying to see if we think we can get to 30 bands
so we can have 6 advancing to state).   I don't know about all of these programs,
so not sure if they will all get 1's at Region or not.     

Region 5:

Mansfield *

Lake Ridge **

Summitt **

Bowie HS *

Arlington HS *

Trimble Tech 

Sam Houston  *

Lamar *

Paschal * 

Region 31:

Carroll Smith *

Trinity HS * 

Region 20: 

Desoto

Skyline

Irving *

S. Grand Prairie *

Nimitz *

Cedar hill

Region 30 (their UIL site is down so I don't know who all is in this region):

Weatherford *

MacArthur * 

Note:   * -  participated in Area in 2016

** - new to this region (or moved to 6A)

There's no other area like Area B.  Say a quick prayer before finals because this will be brutal. 

I see these schools battling it out for 5 (maybe...maybe 6) spots....

Keller - finished 5th at 2016 6A State

Bell - finished 9th at 2016 6A State

Haltom - finished 3rd at 2017 BOA Atlanta

Richland - finished 6th at 2017 5A State

Duncanville - finished 16th at 2016 6A State

Waxahachie - finished 3rd at 2017 5A State

Prosper - finished 7th at 2017 5A State

Coppell - finished 11th at 2016 6A State

And then you add Keller Central and Plano East? 

Come on.....

That will be worth the price of admission.

There's no other area like Area B. Say a quick prayer before finals because this will be brutal.

I see these schools battling it out for 5 (maybe...maybe 6) spots....

Keller - finished 5th at 2016 6A State

Bell - finished 9th at 2016 6A State

Haltom - finished 3rd at 2017 BOA Atlanta

Richland - finished 6th at 2017 5A State

Duncanville - finished 16th at 2016 6A State

Waxahachie - finished 3rd at 2017 5A State

Prosper - finished 7th at 2017 5A State

Coppell - finished 11th at 2016 6A State

And then you add Keller Central and Plano East?

Come on.....

That will be worth the price of admission.

Hoping top 3 is Keller , Haltom and I would say bell but I’m not a fan of what they have going on so I’m gonna have to say Waxahachie or Coppell

1: Haltom

2: Keller

3: Waxahachie

4: LD bell

5: Coppell

6: Prosper

7: Keller Central

8: Plano East

9: Richland

10: Duncanville

11: Timber Creek

12: Mansfield

13: Lake Ridge

14: Martin

15: Summitt

16: Fossil Ridge

17: Trinity

I literally have the top 5 the same format except 1st or 2nd could be either haltom or Keller

The only thing I am relatively certain of is that Keller will be top in Area B....I love the respect given to Haltom but they finished 7th in area in 2016. A lot of the love for them recently is based on last year's results.  Let's see where they finish in a few contests before putting them on top of Keller.

Also, Duncanville and Richland are too low on that list, IMO.

1: Keller
2: Bell/Haltom/Coppell
3: Bell/Haltom/Coppell
4: Bell/Haltom/Coppell
5: Waxahachie
6: Richland/Duncanville (if 6 bands advance)

On the Bubble

Richland, Duncanville, Prosper, Plano East, Keller Central

Timber Creek will be higher than you think, remember they were 6th in 2016 (runner-up to advance) while Keller Central was 10th and struggled to make finals.

I wouldn’t be super surprised to see UIL favor bands like Haltom over Keller this year. However, I think Keller will do extremely well at BOA this year and will definitely set themselves apart there. Keller is the only Area B band to make BOA San Antonio finals in recent years.

Why would judges favor Haltom over Keller?

Why would judges favor Haltom over Keller?

I’m thinking because of how uil based haltoms show may sound. I’m not sure about that statement but I do see Keller being on top but I don’t think haltom will be any lower than 3 imo based on what I’ve heard from them . But we will see keller and haltom compete together on the 29th at the heb contest and we can start to see what is going on from there on out the season. Keller has been great for the past few years and haltom has had some rough ones but I will say that haltom last year surprised a lot of people and when I see them now they sound better and look better than anything they did last year . Don’t know if haltom will succeed more in uil tho because they have been putting out great boa based shows but we will soon see

I’m thinking because of how uil based haltoms show may sound. I’m not sure about that statement but I do see Keller being on top but I don’t think haltom will be any lower than 3 imo based on what I’ve heard from them . But we will see keller and haltom compete together on the 29th at the heb contest and we can start to see what is going on from there on out the season. Keller has been great for the past few years and haltom has had some rough ones but I will say that haltom last year surprised a lot of people and when I see them now they sound better and look better than anything they did last year . Don’t know if haltom will succeed more in uil tho because they have been putting out great boa based shows but we will soon see

Keller is a consistent finalist. They made finals at BOA SA last year, which was probably one of the, if not the most difficult BOA contest to date. I think they might do a little better than Haltom this year.

That being said, Haltom is fine. They're an alright band and can hold their own. We'll see what happens.

Keller has consistently made SA finals for the past 3 years. The last time another area B band made SA finals was in 2014 with LD Bell. Most of the good area B bands have a much more traditional past. While Keller is the most successful recently, I feel that they are in a transitional phase where they are becoming a top BOA competitor which in the past has had an inverse effect on UIL success. An example would be CTJ winning BOA in 2014 but placing 3rd at UIL state. And The Woodlands placing 2nd at BOA in 2016 and then 7th or 8th at UIL State.

Not saying Keller will win BOA or be top 3 or anything like that, but I do see a transition and a change. But who knows, maybe they will still maintain their strong UIL success while also improving at BOA.

I remember for a long time you could say Area B/D finalist blocks and BOA Texas Regional finalist blocks were at about the same level.  Then BOA became more competitive and you couldn't really say that anymore. But I would compare this Area lineup to a modern BOA Regional.

Keller is a consistent finalist. They made finals at BOA SA last year, which was probably one of the, if not the most difficult BOA contest to date. I think they might do a little better than Haltom this year.

That being said, Haltom is fine. They're an alright band and can hold their own. We'll see what happens.

Uh I wouldn’t say Haltom is an alright band when they were the highest ranking Texas band in Atlanta last year they’re not just “alright”

That is true but you never know how much Cedar Ridge improved between Atlanta and San Antonio. Haltom didn’t attend San Antonio and knew that Atlanta would be their last performance. Therefore having a show designed to peak at Atlanta. Not saying they weren’t SA level finalists though.

Also, Haltom and Cedar Ridge tied in prelims. In both rounds, Cedar Ridge out performed Haltom in music and visual while Haltom took GE which was ultimately the reason that they ended up on top. It was still very close throughout.