Texas Marching Classic 2018 Predictions

I'm personally confused about why Rouse is on the list, but also on the list for BOA Waco. Does anybody have any insight on this? Are they plan on dropping one or attending both and only going to one of the finals?

Maybe they'll do prelims for both, and if they don't make finals at Waco or TMC, they go to the other. Maybe they haven't noticed the conflict, but if they make finals at both, it'd be a logistical nightmare.

Maybe they'll do prelims for both, and if they don't make finals at Waco or TMC, they go to the other. Maybe they haven't noticed the conflict, but if they make finals at both, it'd be a logistical nightmare.

Whatever they're doing, I imagine it's very carefully planned.  I don't know Jason Robb *that* well, but I know the school of thought he comes from.  He's extremely well organized and he would easily pull the plug on a big competition hours before if he suddenly felt the kids wouldn't experience success at it.  The students will have a positive experience that day no matter what schedule unfolds.

• 3 weeks later...

I asked some of students from Rouse last night at our game and they said that their director told them they're doing TMC and not Waco, but they're still signed up for it. I guess we'll just have to wait to see what happens.

Does this feel like a smaller contest than in years past? It feels like there should be more bands.

On another note, Reagan is definitely sweeping. I love Georgetown, but unless they borrowed CTJ performers for the weekend they won’t beat Reagan.

I agree - Reagan is a cinch for this and it should be a significant gap - in the past, this has been viewed as a BOA comparable competition but the addition of the Waco Regional has drawn away a good deal of the real competitors 

Does this feel like a smaller contest than in years past? It feels like there should be more bands.

On another note, Reagan is definitely sweeping. I love Georgetown, but unless they borrowed CTJ performers for the weekend they won’t beat Reagan.

I doubt Music for All "coincidentally" deciding to host a contest an hour and a half away on the same day helped with attendance.

After looking at last years participants, not only has BOA Waco stripped this competition, but there are quite a few bands who just are not going this year and are not on the calendar at any other contests. From my point of view, it is kind of nice because my band will likely medal and get the full retreat experience. However, I think it is just sad that only 16 bands have signed up this year and a majority of the finalists are gone. Unfortunately, it like it will be even more difficult for more bands to resist the BOA juggernaut now than ever before.

It is a lot smaller. Plus side, I get to see old friends that might not have made finals in previous years during retreat. Down side, I wanted to see someone like Vandy or Leander perform here cause I've watched recordings, and I love what I've seen

• 3 weeks later...

I have Reagan sweeping everything except Percussion.  I gave that one to Georgetown after they won percussion and guard at Vista Ridge on Saturday while still placing 7th in finals, lol.

Vista was a really interesting contest I must say. Due to our placement, we are really excited to get the opportunity to improve before TMC. That being said, we are going into this week probably with a big focus on playing on the move so we can up our music and marching scores. The band wants to put on an amazing performance for the fans, alumni, parents, and anyone at that is watching TMC this Saturday!

This is a bit of a bummer.  I do however think that MFA is not intentionally "out to get" the local contests like TMC.  There are only so many weekends in marching season and MFA obviously wants as many BOAs as possible that will be well attended (and ANY texas BOA will be).  Even the Midland regional is huge (and high quality) relative to many non-texas BOAs.

That all said, TMC has replaced Westlake in my mind as the best non-BOA show in (at least) central texas.  The judging panel, layout, and site all contribute to a great show.  I think this year will be no different even if do too wish more "heavy hitters" were attending.  

After Houston, I don't think theres a way Ronald Reagan doesn't sweep all captions.  Their guard and percussion as on fire in their show and they march and play as well as anyone.  Rouse MIGHT have a shot and stealing a couple captions if they have a dream run and Reagan stumbles, but those are two pretty big IF's

I think the most interesting outcome of this contest will be how all of these regional programs stack up to the national level program that is Ronald Regan. With this being an automatic win for them, it will also be cool to see how the judges decide to score them vs the rest of the field.

I think the most interesting outcome of this contest will be how all of these regional programs stack up to the national level program that is Ronald Regan. With this being an automatic win for them, it will also be cool to see how the judges decide to score them vs the rest of the field.

Meh, I never put too much stock into numbers (ESPECIALLY at non-BOA events) because of the "contest dynamics".  As a judge, as long as you think one band is better than the other, the difference in scoring is less important.  Your job is to put the best band 1st, then 2nd etc.  I wouldn't be surprised if the spreads are not as wide as we anticipate because the judges will know that they should put someone in first, but don't want to put them SO FAR in first that another judge couldn't be a deciding factor

Meh, I never put too much stock into numbers (ESPECIALLY at non-BOA events) because of the "contest dynamics".  As a judge, as long as you think one band is better than the other, the difference in scoring is less important.  Your job is to put the best band 1st, then 2nd etc.  I wouldn't be surprised if the spreads are not as wide as we anticipate because the judges will know that they should put someone in first, but don't want to put them SO FAR in first that another judge couldn't be a deciding factor

If scores take a back seat to the ranking, then what is the purpose of the score anyways? Instead of having each judge tabulate a score for every band in his respective caption and then combine his score for let's say (music individual) into the overall score. Why just not have the judges assign rankings to each band? Judges should calculate scores because they are almost just as important as the ranking at every contest. The scores show the performers like me and the staff roughly how much ground you have to cover. The scores can show roughly on that given day and time how good you actually were. The scores can show in what areas you need improvement. Selfishly, the scores are important to me because I love to compare them by analyzing the spread, scores from previous years, etc. While putting the right band in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc is the most important, how they achieved that ranking and by what margin is almost just as important.