Weslaco 

Weslaco East

Harlingen

Harlingen South

San Benito

Los Fresnos

Hanna 

Rivera

On the TMEA website, both Donna highschools are listed as 6A, however, taking a look at the UIL football alignments, I see only Donna North will be competing in 6A football. My question is, will Donna HS be competing as 6A or 5A. This I consider important because it can be a determining factor in how many bands will advance to state. We can potentially see 25-27 bands at the area contest meaning a total of 5 bands advancing, contrary to 2016's 4. Food for thought.

• 1 month later...

Alexander had a great drill design. The show was good, but musically, needs work. Specifically around the middle where the hindermith piece is played. The woodwinds sounded solid there but the brass was lacking and seemed to struggle to maintain the same sound they had earlier. I think particularly because ive seen so many state and national programs play the same melodies from hindermith that it’s hard to not compare them to the level of other programs that have recently covered him. Nothing another month won’t fix. I can see them placing around the 20th-17th range at state with those fixes.

I was pretty underwhelmed with san Benito’s performance. The marching was good, just nothing too memorable.

United sounded great but they also had a lot of standstill moments. I have a feeling their director will be adding a few visual things during those spots. With that being said, I really loved their music selections. I think their show was my favorite from the bands in our area. That and I don’t think I’ve ever seen their guard section look so solid! Their brass sounded great too! After seeing them last night, I believe they where at the same level they where at when they performed at their last contest in Austin last year. I’m definitely excited to see what another months worth of tuneups will do.

Although Hanna didn’t compete, I can see them placing well at area. Seeing as they did amazingly well in honor band (I think they got 10?). I’m thinking they would land in the top 2 or 3.

Harlingen looks rough, but that could also shape up well within the next month. Definitely going to be an interesting season.

With the exception of Alexander and United playing well, I believe the recent shifting in rankings from the valley bands to Laredo bands has less to do with Laredo schools improving and more to do with the valley bands not performing at the caliber we’ve known them to operate at.

Alexander had a great drill design. The show was good, but musically, needs work. Specifically around the middle where the hindermith piece is played. The woodwinds sounded solid there but the brass was lacking and seemed to struggle to maintain the same sound they had earlier. I think particularly because ive seen so many state and national programs play the same melodies from hindermith that it’s hard to not compare them to the level of other programs that have recently covered him. Nothing another month won’t fix. I can see them placing around the 20th-17th range at state with those fixes.

I was pretty underwhelmed with san Benito’s performance. The marching was good, just nothing too memorable.

United sounded great but they also had a lot of standstill moments. I have a feeling their director will be adding a few visual things during those spots. With that being said, I really loved their music selections. I think their show was my favorite from the bands in our area. That and I don’t think I’ve ever seen their guard section look so solid! Their brass sounded great too! After seeing them last night, I believe they where at the same level they where at when they performed at their last contest in Austin last year. I’m definitely excited to see what another months worth of tuneups will do.

Although Hanna didn’t compete, I can see them placing well at area. Seeing as they did amazingly well in honor band (I think they got 10?). I’m thinking they would land in the top 2 or 3.

Harlingen looks rough, but that could also shape up well within the next month. Definitely going to be an interesting season.

With the exception of Alexander and United playing well, I believe the recent shifting in rankings from the valley bands to Laredo bands has less to do with Laredo schools improving and more to do with the valley bands not performing at the caliber we’ve known them to operate at.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that last statement. These two Laredo bands have been on a steady incline over the past few years and I'm sure that is apparent to many people.

Starting with Alexander, in 2015 they suffered their first 2nd division UIL rating not only in marching, but also in concert and sight reading. The following year they bounced back with a pair of 1st division ratings.. In 2017, they placed 7th at BOA McAllen and 2nd at the Donna Music Festival. 

United, lamentably, did not advance to the state marching contest in 2014, as they did two years prior, Since then, the United band has placed top three at a number of respected competitions and advanced to the state marching contest: 3rd (Donna 2015), 2nd (PSJA 2016), 1st (Edinburg 2016), 3rd (Area G 2016), 3rd (Westlake 2017)

Now, just a day ago, the two rival bands met at BOA McAllen and blew the expectations for many. Undoubtedly, the face of south Texas marching band is starting to transition up north to Laredo, and hopefully we'll see them advance together to the 2018 state marching contest; the first time in Laredo history to have two state bands.

Totally agreed with the above post. I don’t think it’s an incorrect observation to see that the Valley bands—especially the 6A ones—are struggling right now. However, the Laredo bands are truly thriving. Alexander was right on the heels of a band very likely to make Conroe finals. It’s been well over a decade since the last time a Valley/Laredo band made finals at a BOA regional in the Texas Triangle. Alexander just proved that it’s still possible.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that last statement. These two Laredo bands have been on a steady incline over the past few years and I'm sure that is apparent to many people.

Starting with Alexander, in 2015 they suffered their first 2nd division UIL rating not only in marching, but also in concert and sight reading. The following year they bounced back with a pair of 1st division ratings.. In 2017, they placed 7th at BOA McAllen and 2nd at the Donna Music Festival.

United, lamentably, did not advance to the state marching contest in 2014, as they did two years prior, Since then, the United band has placed top three at a number of respected competitions and advanced to the state marching contest: 3rd (Donna 2015), 2nd (PSJA 2016), 1st (Edinburg 2016), 3rd (Area G 2016), 3rd (Westlake 2017)

Now, just a day ago, the two rival bands met at BOA McAllen and blew the expectations for many. Undoubtedly, the face of south Texas marching band is starting to transition up north to Laredo, and hopefully we'll see them advance together to the 2018 state marching contest; the first time in Laredo history to have two state bands.

While again I agree that Alexander and United Both have improved significantly, what I saw yesterday is that some of the more well-known valley bands put a product on the field that was not competition ready. Now I say this with all the respect I can. I’m not saying that these bands don’t put in the hard work and the effort (because we all know that marching band is no joke especially in the South Texas heat). But it was looking pretty rough. I was shocked at how poorly the other bands did. I also know that there is still another month before area, but man. To say that I was shocked was an understatement. Sherryland struggled with music, Roma’s running was hornedous, both Edinburgs needed a lot of work, etc. I love competitions and I love south Texas but it was a real shock to see how many seem to be in a rut.

Gotta realize that it's not even October yet and most bands in South Texas don't have shows that specialize for BOA competitions especially this early. I'm pretty sure by the time UIL competitions come around those bands will be playing and marching much cleaner. That being said, major props to bands like San Benito, Alexander and United for having shows that clean and ready for competition this early in the season.

• 3 weeks later...