BOA St Louis 2018

We’ve got 3 bands from Texas this year. Dripping Springs, Sherman, and Weiss.

As of May 8, 2018

Batavia H.S., IL

Belleville East H.S., IL

Bellevue East H.S., NE

Bellevue West H.S., NE

Bentonville H.S., AR

Bentonville West H.S., AR

Bloomington H.S., IL

Blue Springs H.S., MO

Blue Springs South H.S., MO

Blue Valley West H.S., KS

Broken Arrow H.S., OK

Bryant H.S., AR

Cedar Rapids Jefferson H.S., IA

Clovis H.S., NM

Collierville H.S., TN

Colllinsville H.S., IL

Danville H.S., IL

Davenport Central H.S., IA

Dripping Springs H.S., TX

East Peoria Community H.S., IL

Father Ryan H.S., TN

Fayetteville H.S., AR

Fort Zumwalt East H.S., MO

Fort Zumwalt North H.S., MO

Fort Zumwalt West H.S., MO

Francis Howell Central H.S., MO

Francis Howell H.S., MO

Francis Howell North H.S., MO

Grain Valley H.S., MO

Herscher H.S., IL

Hollister H.S., MO

Jefferson City H.S., MO

Jenks H.S., OK

Kettering Fairmont H.S., OH

Kickapoo H.S., MO

Lafayette H.S., MO

Lafayette H.S., LA

Lake Park H.S., IL

Limestone Community H.S., IL

Lincoln-Way H.S., IL

Lindbergh H.S., MO

Mahomet-Seymour H.S., IL

Marian Catholic H.S., IL

Marshall County H.S., KY

Metamora Township H.S., IL

Monticello H.S., IL

Morton H.S., IL

Naperville Central H.S., IL

Neosho H.S., MO

New Berlin West H.S., WI

Nixa H.S., MO

Normal H.S., IL

Northwest H.S., MO

O'Fallon Township H.S., IL

Oakville H.S., MO

Olathe East H.S., KS

Olathe North H.S., KS

Owasso H.S., OK

Ozark H.S., MO

Paragould H.S., AR

Parkway Central H.S., MO

Plainfield North H.S., IL

Rock Island H.S., IL

Rockwood Summit H.S., MO

Sherman H.S., TX

Timberland H.S., MO

University H.S., IL

Victor J. Andrew H.S., IL

Walton H.S., GA

Weiss H.S., TX

Wentzville Holt H.S., MO

Wentzville Liberty H.S., MO

Willard H.S., MO

Willow Springs H.S., MO

We’ve got 3 bands from Texas this year. Dripping Springs, Sherman, and Weiss.

Go Weiss!  They have moved up to 4A this year with the addition of a Senior class (or is it just a Junior class this year?).  I'm anxious to see how well they can do away from Texas!

Edit:  Maybe I'm thinking of Tom Glenn.  I know they're in similar situations.  I would like to see Tom Glenn go out of Texas and see what they can do.  :)

Go Weiss!  They have moved up to 4A this year with the addition of a Senior class (or is it just a Junior class this year?).  I'm anxious to see how well they can do away from Texas!

Edit:  Maybe I'm thinking of Tom Glenn.  I know they're in similar situations.  I would like to see Tom Glenn go out of Texas and see what they can do.  :)

Both Tom Glenn and Weiss moved up to 5A, and I think this is Tom Green's first Senior class and Weiss' first Junior class. Regardless, I hope to see both bands to continue to grow!

Dripping springs should be firmly top half of finals here, with top 5 definitely within their grasp. Sherman is definitely a threat for finals- Weiss might even be too, depending on how fast they develop. Their debut season was very very strong and I’m having flashbacks to vandegrift’s shocking third place finish at boa Houston in 2010, which I believe was only their second marching season, so there’s precedent.

I'm so excited to see Clovis attending this, they're not a Texas band but they're barely over the border about an hour away from me and they always do REALLY well locally and had a great showing in Midland last year.  If they keep improving they could be the first band from this area to my knowledge, that sees itself in a super regional finals.  They'll be on the bubble.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so excited to see Clovis attending this, they're not a Texas band but they're barely over the border about an hour away from me and they always do REALLY well locally and had a great showing in Midland last year.  If they keep improving they could be the first band from this area to my knowledge, that sees itself in a super regional finals.  They'll be on the bubble.  

Agreed, they did perform well at the Midland Finals.  CTJ ran away in the Midland contest, but Clovis was about 5 points behind Bellevue West so they could have a shot.  I would love to see it happen, great to see a school in the middle of nowhere get to a super regional final.  The problem is, this is going to be a stronger St. Louis final this year, not only the Tulsa area and Texas bands, but the aforementioned Bellevue West, Lafayette, LA., Bentonville Ark., Blue Springs, OFallon township.  It would be a well earned finals placement, we'll see:)

• 4 months later...

Did Sherman drop this contest? They don't seem to be showing up on the schedule. They sounded great at DFW. Clean up their show quite a bit visually and they could have a good run in St. Louis.

Both Dripping Springs and Weiss could have great success here.

Just checked. They are, just a little hidden is all.

What do you mean they are a little hidden?  What time are they competing?

Dripping Springs should have no problem getting in.  Because of the way Super Regionals are working now, the main people Weiss will be competing against are Broken Arrow, Blue Springs, Owasso, Jenks, Bentonville, Clovis, Lafayette, Morton, and Blue Springs South.  Top 5 automatically make it in, then the next best 4 over the 2 days.  The best I can see them getting in this group is 4th, but more realistically 6th-7th.  I think they have a good chance of snagging one of the "at-large" spots.

Did Sherman drop this contest?  They don't seem to be showing up on the schedule.  They sounded great at DFW.  Clean up their show quite a bit visually and they could have a good run in St. Louis.

Both Dripping Springs and Weiss could have great success here.

Yes, it would appear Sherman dropped since they are not listed on the official BOA calendar.

What do you mean they are a little hidden?  What time are they competing?

Dripping Springs should have no problem getting in.  Because of the way Super Regionals are working now, the main people Weiss will be competing against are Broken Arrow, Blue Springs, Owasso, Jenks, Bentonville, Clovis, Lafayette, Morton, and Blue Springs South.  Top 5 automatically make it in, then the next best 4 over the 2 days.  The best I can see them getting in this group is 4th, but more realistically 6th-7th.  I think they have a good chance of snagging one of the "at-large" spots.

Might you explain this a little more? Are they grouped, and then each group competes within itself, sort of like "classes"?

This is new for the Super Regionals and GN this year, but each band competes within panels which switch off between blocks. The top five from each panel advance, along with the next four highest scoring bands regardless of panel.

OK, thanks, that makes sense. Are there semifinals, or do they go from all the bands down to 10? (and is the 10th a "wildcard?")