BOA McAllen 2018

Time to make a thread for literally every other Texas BOA Regional!

As of May 8, 2018

Brazoswood H.S., TX

Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S., TX

Economedes H.S., TX

Edinburg H.S., TX*

Edinburg North H.S., TX*

Hidalgo Early College H.S., TX*

Homer Hanna H.S., TX

James Pace Early College H.S., TX

John B. Alexander H.S., TX

Juarez-Lincoln H.S., TX

Lehman H.S., TX

Lopez Early College H.S., TX

McAllen H.S., TX*

McAllen Memorial H.S., TX*

Mission H.S., TX

Nikki Rowe H.S., TX*

Palmview H.S., TX

Pioneer H.S., TX*

Robert Vela H.S., TX

Roma H.S., TX

San Benito H.S., TX

Seven Lakes H.S., TX*

Sharyland H.S., TX

United H.S., TX*

Valley View H.S., TX

Westfield H.S., TX*

Willis H.S., TX

*Denotes a band registered for the Sunday Director Clinic

Locks:

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Seven Lakes

Brazoswood

Pioneer

Roma

Lower Half:

Hanna

Edinburg North

Westfield

Juarez-Lincoln

United

Bubble:

Alexander

Sharyland

Lehman

Edinburg

Not super well versed in South Texas, so feel free to call me wrong on a few of these, but this is my personal prediction 

Locks:

Claudia Taylor Johnson

Seven Lakes

Brazoswood

Pioneer

Roma

Lower Half:

Hanna

Edinburg North

Westfield

Juarez-Lincoln

United

Bubble:

Alexander

Sharyland

Lehman

Edinburg

Not super well versed in South Texas, so feel free to call me wrong on a few of these, but this is my personal prediction

Don’t know much either but this rings true- Lopez will also be in contention.

this is the 4th year for this regional and the history has been that the more experienced BOA bands that make the trek walk away with the gold - please understand that there is no insult intended there, the programs in South Texas are new to BOA and we enjoy watching their shows.

2015 - CTJ

2016 - Bowie

2017 - Dripping Springs

I would predict -

- CTJ 

- Roma

- Pioneer

I think United could turn some heads here, last season, they sounded GREAT, and were performing at a higher level than ive ever seen from them. Definetely a dark horse for the top 5 or even to medal.

Inputs:

I'm glad to see plenty of bands making the trip down here to the Valley and I feel it'll really set the environment for an awesome competition. Johnson will definitely medal at this competition, but I'm curious to see how the other bands traveling down to McAllen will do against the programs down here in the south. Alexander, Pioneer, Roma, and United are definitely bands that will give the northern schools a run their money. Moreover, this comp will establish a foundation for how the Area G schools will do in their future performances. Given, this is a BOA comp (GE galore), but It will certainly set an idea of what to expect in the future.

Medal Lock:

Johnson 

Medalist Contenders:

Brazoswood

Seven Lakes

Roma

Pioneer

Alexander

United

Finalist Bubble:

Hanna

Edinburg North

Lopez

Westfield

Juarez-Lincoln

It's always odd to me that bands like CTJ go to contests in the Valley. I'm not attacking them, I'm just wondering why they feel the need to go to these contests when they're obviously much more well off and have a far stronger program.

In this case they probably want the BOA judges feedback before heading to Austin so they can make any necessary changes. Also for SA programs in particular, there aren’t as many competitive local contests as there are in dfw, Austin, and Houston. But i can see how going to a far away contest you’re 99.9% certain you’re going to win would seem kind of pointless.

In this case they probably want the BOA judges feedback before heading to Austin so they can make any necessary changes. Also for SA programs in particular, there aren’t as many competitive local contests as there are in dfw, Austin, and Houston. But i can see how going to a far away contest you’re 99.9% certain you’re going to win would seem kind of pointless.

all about where you can compete and the cost to do so

• 1 month later...

while I cannot speak for the organization - IO would assume that their purpose in McAllen in 2015, Midland Last year, and their return to Mc Allen this year is due to their support of BOA. While some see this as a chance for them to medal in this event, they are providing a showcase to the other south Texas bands that may never step into the BOA arena. it is a chance to see what BOA is all about and energize them to continue on their BOA quest. I applaud them for their dedication in growing the BOA franchise - but yea - I think this is just a beach trip for the group and a chance to tune up and get the judges comments before Austin the following week

while I cannot speak for the organization - IO would assume that their purpose in McAllen in 2015, Midland Last year, and their return to Mc Allen this year is due to their support of BOA. While some see this as a chance for them to medal in this event, they are providing a showcase to the other south Texas bands that may never step into the BOA arena. it is a chance to see what BOA is all about and energize them to continue on their BOA quest. I applaud them for their dedication in growing the BOA franchise - but yea - I think this is just a beach trip for the group and a chance to tune up and get the judges comments before Austin the following week

CTJ. BOA ambassadors to the nether regions. There is probably no more appropriate band than Claudia Taylor Johnson to do so. :)

As for the distance, McAllen and Conroe are both 4 hrs away. CTJ will receive judge’s comments prior to Austin. I’m surprised Churchill and Reagan don’t do the same thing. Keep in mind, these schools sometimes play a school in the valley in football. It’s an easy and affordable trip. The beach? Corpus is two hours away. You would still need to add another 45 minutes to get to SPI from McAllen.

• 1 month later...

...CTJ will receive judge’s comments prior to Austin. I’m surprised Churchill and Reagan don’t do the same thing. ...

Agree. It seems that the way to analyze and (more importantly) stimulate growth in the BOA track is to simply...do more BOA. You see numerical growth in score increases over time, and you recieve direct input and feedback from BOA officials for each contest on a run where the band is in it to perform their best; nothing fabricated or superficial.

A victory right at the first competition is a great way to set the mindset and culture of the freshmen. And winning in a BOA format is a great way to kill 2 birds with one stone since they're also getting practice with the flow of BOA's setup as well as early comments from BOA's judging panel, which will be helpful for their future BOA appearances later that season. Rehearsal schedule demands of a band like Johnson are a huge jump for the kids coming up from middle school, so a chance to experience success right out the gate is immensely beneficial....you get the feeling that the time commitment was well worth it.

Great (and interesting) analysis as always Brandon! I wish Leander would hit up Midland BOA for the same reasons. Plus I would love to see some West Texas bands.

• 4 weeks later...