6A UIL Area 2018

Whats everyone thinking around the area with Fort Bend ISD and Pearland ISD and Brazoswood and Dawson etc?

With the new alignments I dont know what area we (clements) are in anymore

Looks like 4 will advance per UIL estimates.

Pearland, Brazoswood, Clements, Dawson, Dickinson have all advanced recently.  They all lucked out with Friendswood dropping to 5A.  They would have been a lock to advance.

Whats everyone thinking around the area with Fort Bend ISD and Pearland ISD and Brazoswood and Dawson etc?

With the new alignments I dont know what area we (clements) are in anymore

Here’s the UIL’s 2018 released map for each Area, grouped by region.

https://align.tmea.org/align_1820/index.php

It seems like Katy ISD and Cy-Fair ISD now has their own area this year (Area I), but Fort Bend ISD is still a part of Area E. That means you don’t have to deal with Cy-Fair, Cy Falls, Langham Creek, JET, Seven Lakes, or Tompkins this year.

Hey Everyone, I'm new to the page and really like all the discussion I see on here. I do have some thoughts on the upcoming years Area B competition and ultimate state qualifiers from there. While I'm no expert in band, just a band dad that was hooked when my son decided band was his thing, Ill say this. Area B will very interesting and I wouldn't be surprised if the " locks " get upset.  With the new bands moving up to 6A this year its gonna be a show worth seeing.  There are just so many things that come into this, judges preference, weather, performance time and finally the pressure of qualifying for state. There are going to be so many good bands in this area that its hard to say who will make it out until we see the shows this fall.  As I learned the hard way at state last year, things change from prelims to finals. Anyway, I can't wait until the fall and we get to see how all this shakes out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like 4 will advance per UIL estimates.

Pearland, Brazoswood, Clements, Dawson, Dickinson have all advanced recently. They all lucked out with Friendswood dropping to 5A. They would have been a lock to advance.

What do we think about finalists for that area?

Pearland, B-wood, Dawson, Dickinson, Clements, Austin, Clear Brook, who else? And then 4 of those make it to state?

What do we think about finalists for that area?

Pearland, B-wood, Dawson, Dickinson, Clements, Austin, Clear Brook, who else? And then 4 of those make it to state?

Im pretty sure Travis will make finals.

I've never paid as much attention to Houston area bands, but I'm curious if the new Conroe ISD school is pulling from The Woodlands or TWCP at all? They are starting at 6A in the first year, right? Will they have a competing band program?

What I have heard is that they are pulling from both schools slightly but more from the Woodlands, but I didn’t think they were starting as a 6A. They may be I just didn’t know that.

According to info on the Conroe ISD website, it looks like the new school (Grand Oaks) is pulling from Oak Ridge HS entirely.  It's opening as a 5A with grades 9 and 10 and then is expected be 6A by 2020 when all 4 grades are present.  

• 2 weeks later...

I think Area B is going to be tough

No order...  and I think I am missing a few! 

Keller

Keller Central

Halcolm

Richland

Plano East

Timber Creek

LD Bell

Duncanville

Waxahachie

Prosper

Coppell

Martin

My top 6 prediction on Area B based on knowing these bands in person:

-Keller

-Duncanville

-Coppell

-LD Bell

-Waxahachie (it will be interesting because they were a 5A finalist in 2017)

-Haltom or Timber Creek (possible but not a safe bet) 

My top 6 prediction on Area B based on knowing these bands in person:

-Keller

-Duncanville

-Coppell

-LD Bell

-Waxahachie (it will be interesting because they were a 5A finalist in 2017)

-Haltom or Timber Creek (possible but not a safe bet)

How are you not safe betting Haltom exactly?

How are you not safe betting Haltom exactly?

That’s what I’m saying . The way they performed last year was excellent and I’ve heard not a lot of seniors left and they gained a lot of people as well . I feel as maybe they are gonna be underdogs and then really turn out at the end of the season and show these people and other groups who haltom is .

That’s what I’m saying . The way they performed last year was excellent and I’ve heard not a lot of seniors left and they gained a lot of people as well . I feel as maybe they are gonna be underdogs and then really turn out at the end of the season and show these people and other groups who haltom is .i really wish my son still went there so I could seee how they are progressing but I’m gearing a lot of good things from a lot of people

That’s what I’m saying . The way they performed last year was excellent and I’ve heard not a lot of seniors left and they gained a lot of people as well . I feel as maybe they are gonna be underdogs and then really turn out at the end of the season and show these people and other groups who haltom is .i really wish my son still went there so I could seee how they are progressing but I’m gearing a lot of good things from a lot of people

That’s what I think too

What's crazy about Area B if you look at that list, a few quality bands won't even make the finals!   Assuming there are only 10 bands in the finals.

Area B and to an extent D are why the UIL system needs to be overhauled. The massive amount of great bands across the state is continuing to grow and is beginning to outgrow the system.

Let’s talk about The LISD bands because I’m always on edge of which one of them is going to be the astounding one you know? Like it was Marcus for a while then FloMo for a couple years and the this year Hebron was the best I’ve ever seen them so I’m just wondering who y’all think is gonna be the “The King”

Let’s talk about The LISD bands because I’m always on edge of which one of them is going to be the astounding one you know? Like it was Marcus for a while then FloMo for a couple years and the this year Hebron was the best I’ve ever seen them so I’m just wondering who y’all think is gonna be the “The King”

Last time I checked, Lewisville wasn’t the only powerful LISD. ;)