6A UIL Area 2018

To me, I think it is safer to say that Vandegrift and Leander are state qualifier locks, while I would put Vista Ridge just outside that category. I think it is possible that VR can beat either of the aforementioned bands, but the likelihood of another band or two also beating them in addition to VR is very unlikely.

On the other side, I could see a situation where there are only 3 qualifying slots and they go to Vandegrift, Leander, and another band that upsets Vista Ridge.

But when all is said and done, it will be very tough for any other band in this area to beat those 3.

To me, I think it is safer to say that Vandegrift and Leander are state qualifier locks, while I would put Vista Ridge just outside that category. I think it is possible that VR can beat either of the aforementioned bands, but the likelihood of another band or two also beating them in addition to VR is very unlikely.

On the other side, I could see a situation where there are only 3 qualifying slots and they go to Vandegrift, Leander, and another band that upsets Vista Ridge.

But when all is said and done, it will be very tough for any other band in this area to beat those 3.

very true

Any ideas about area D?

CTJ is on top, dont know if it will be clean enough for UIL standards to medal but they will more likely than not.

Reagan is clean and effective, I would love to see more variety in their drill (a lot of files and ranks).

Churchill has great design but needs to improve musically but I have loved to see their progress in the last few years.

Westwood is a great band definitely up and coming.

Roundrock started the season in 2017 great but some how its progressed slowed down.

Madison was not as strong in 2017 than 2016, hard to tell what will happen there.

Hendrickson keeps improving and I personally loved their show, top 3 favorite.

Bowie really improved as the season progressed, it will be interesting to see what will happen if they start the season strong.

Cedar Ridge has been fun to watch get better, i hope that they are at the level that will be clean by UIL Standards.

Dont know or have watched the other bands to give and informed opinion.

Madison was not as strong in 2017 than 2016, hard to tell what will happen there.

We had an extraordinarily large freshmen class this year, and we were attempting the hardest show design we have ever attempted. Seeing the progress we have made this concert season, and the fact that we have a relatively small senior class this year compared to last year, I hope we can make a comeback this year.

We had an extraordinarily large freshmen class this year, and we were attempting the hardest show design we have ever attempted. Seeing the progress we have made this concert season, and the fact that we have a relatively small senior class this year compared to last year, I hope we can make a comeback this year.

If James Madison is on a slightly higher plane than 2016, I could see them being a serious contender for area finals.

CTJ is on top, dont know if it will be clean enough for UIL standards to medal but they will more likely than not.

Reagan is clean and effective, I would love to see more variety in their drill (a lot of files and ranks).

Churchill has great design but needs to improve musically but I have loved to see their progress in the last few years.

Westwood is a great band definitely up and coming.

Roundrock started the season in 2017 great but some how its progressed slowed down.

Hendrickson keeps improving and I personally loved their show, top 3 favorite.

Bowie really improved as the season progressed, it will be interesting to see what will happen if they start the season strong.

Cedar Ridge has been fun to watch get better, i hope that they are at the level that will be clean by UIL Standards.

Dont know or have watched the other bands to give and informed opinion.

In my opinion, Churchill's main problem is their shows are usually too visually demanding for the musical side of things to shine. I think if they simplify their drill design and refine their sound they will be a serious contender for state.

In my opinion, Churchill's main problem is their shows are usually too visually demanding for the musical side of things to shine. I think if they simplify their drill design and refine their sound they will be a serious contender for state.

I think your right but it is drill that is achievable just hard to clean and have the music be clean too. 

Expect quite a few Director shake-ups in Area D and H after UIL that may even shift some of your thoughts.

I know that Westwood is losing a head band director (but an assistant director who is moving up to head was in charge of the most of marching band) and Belton is also getting a "new" (taught at Belton in the latter half of the 80s) head in Ed Stein who taught at Round Rock around the time of their rising to becoming a top level band.

Vandy is in a different level. Leander was great in 2017 but numbers seemed lower and they show wasn't as well built as in 2016. Vista Ridge really stepped up these kids are really well taught. Westlake was great but beatable. O'Conner will have new head directors as well as brandies but these are fine programs. Stevens had a good year but not as refined as the groups in top. Lake Travis did well but Idk about upsetting the top groups. Del Rio continued to improve, a couple of things more could click but we will see. Taft also improved from last year. I'm excited to see what Area H will turn out to be.

I think 2017 was a little bit of a "sleeper" year for Leander...kind of a "regroup and relax mode after Grand Nats" sort of year.  I'm thinking we come back stronger than ever this fall.  At least I hope so!   :lol:

wait.....WHAT?????

There are a couple open jobs in Leander ISD and — at least according to the rumors floating around — quite a few excellent band directors not already in LISD (and a few already in LISD) really want to be in LISD. Of course, when directors jump from one school to another like that it just creates cascading band director changes that seem to be (generally) affecting just about every BOA finalist in the greater Austin area.

There are a couple open jobs in Leander ISD and — at least according to the rumors floating around — quite a few excellent band directors not already in LISD (and a few already in LISD) really want to be in LISD. Of course, when directors jump from one school to another like that it just creates cascading band director changes that seem to be (generally) affecting just about every BOA finalist in the greater Austin area.

Hmmmm....that’s very interesting. You guys always seem to have all the insider info and juicy gossip! I’ll be anxious to see what happens in the LISD this summer/fall. I just hope Selaidan, Carrahur and Callaway stay put!

I know that Westwood is losing a head band director (but an assistant director who is moving up to head was in charge of the most of marching band) and Belton is also getting a "new" (taught at Belton in the latter half of the 80s) head in Ed Stein who taught at Round Rock around the time of their rising to becoming a top level band.

This is correct. There is a position listed on the RRISD site for an assistant director position at Westwood HS.