Conference Realignments

Looks like UIL realignment just came out!

In the greater Austin area, it looks like Pflugerville (consistent Area D 6A finalist) moved down to 5A, and Austin High moved up to 6A. Westlake and Lake Travis (TMEA Area F) moved out of their district with Leander and Vandegrift back into the district of Bowie and Anderson in 6A (TMEA Area D) so I wonder if they will continue to compete in Area F or if they will switch completely to Area D.

I always found it confusing as to how they did these realignments. Vandegrift, Westwood, and Anderson are all extremely close to each other (I'd say within 5 miles) in Northwest Austin, yet they all three are in different districts, while Hays and Lake Travis are about 45 minutes away from each other yet they are in the same district.

Can't wait to see what's in store for next year!

To be totally clear, Westlake and Lake Travis moved football districts but remain in the same UIL/TMEA district with Leander ISD. Actually, nothing changed at all for that marching band area in 6A. And Vandegrift/Westwood/Anderson are all pretty far from the center of gravity in their districts, so even though they're close, their districts make for more efficient organization elsewhere.

5A is an enormous shake up all around though sheesh

• 3 months later...

Bell may not have changed their area or district as far as TMEA goes this fall (or did they?), but they definitely changed who they play in football. I was looking at their schedule so I can go watch my friend’s son play again before BOA DFW, and I noticed they don’t have Flowermound or Marcus on their calendar at all this year. I know that they played both last year. I’m kinda bummed about that. Looks like I’ll be watching Bell play Abilene. Really. Abilene???

Bell may not have changed their area or district as far as TMEA goes this fall (or did they?), but they definitely changed who they play in football. I was looking at their schedule so I can go watch my friend’s son play again before BOA DFW, and I noticed they don’t have Flowermound or Marcus on their calendar at all this year. I know that they played both last year. I’m kinda bummed about that. Looks like I’ll be watching Bell play Abilene. Really. Abilene???

As a current resident of Abilene, I am offended...

jokingly, of course

Yeah, the athletic districts in that area changed quite a bit this time around. It used to be the Keller schools with Haltom, Weatherford, and Abilene, but with several new 6A schools in the area it made more sense to keep the Keller schools in the area and have the HEB/Birdville schools go out west. They have San Angelo in the district, too.

As a current resident of Abilene, I am offended...

jokingly, of course

Ohhh I'm so sorry if I sounded offensive! I am just bewildered as to why a 6A DFW area school would be zoned to play a school so far away!! I mean can the DFW area not find enough local schools for Bell to play against?!

Nothing against Abilene itself. :)

Ohhh I'm so sorry if I sounded offensive! I am just bewildered as to why a 6A DFW area school would be zoned to play a school so far away!! I mean can the DFW area not find enough local schools for Bell to play against?!

Nothing against Abilene itself. :)

Nah, no offense taken. I actually showed it to a friend whose lived here his whole life. He was like "as a longtime resident of Abilene... I completely agree"

Yeah, the athletic districts in that area changed quite a bit this time around. It used to be the Keller schools with Haltom, Weatherford, and Abilene, but with several new 6A schools in the area it made more sense to keep the Keller schools in the area and have the HEB/Birdville schools go out west. They have San Angelo in the district, too.

Well, the HEB district *is* technically west of Dallas...so I guess it sort of makes sense. Maybe...

Quite the opposite. There aren't enough 6A schools out in west/central Texas to play just each other. Many of the schools out there used to be smaller, so it wasn't as much of a problem, but as they have gotten bigger, there are less schools in their classification around.

Nah, no offense taken. I actually showed it to a friend whose lived here his whole life. He was like "as a longtime resident of Abilene... I completely agree"

Awww, well I do feel bad for the tone of my post. It could definitely have come off a bit arrogant! I'm sure Abilene has a fine football team. I mean they are 6A after all.

BTW, I went to Harding University back in the day, which is a sister school of ACU. :)

Quite the opposite. There aren't enough 6A schools out in west/central Texas to play just each other. Many of the schools out there used to be smaller, so it wasn't as much of a problem, but as they have gotten bigger, there are less schools in their classification around.

Yes I can see how that could be an issue for these West Texas schools. I mean Ft Worth *is* practically West Texas anyway. :D

Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas? I looked into that school a bit. Several of my friends went there and loved it.

Yes, it's a fantastic school. I grew up with Harding in my blood, having attended Harding Academy in Memphis for 12 years (which I believe is one of the largest, if not THE largest, private schools in the country). I got a superb education and was blessed to be in a pretty awesome HS band for 5 years. Fantastic memories for me, ALL of my Harding years.