37 replies to this topic

#21 principalagent

principalagent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 04:54 PM

Not sure, but I think Waxahachie might be in 6A C. Would be worth double checking for Prosper too.

#22 Xenon

Xenon

LUNCH!!!

• Administrators
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:58 PM

If all the boundaries stay the same, Waxahachie would be 6A B. Waxahachie is in Region 20 along with Duncanville which goes to B.

That said, the regions and areas may or may not change due to some of the significant conference alignment changes. I would probably bet against them changing, though, since they last change was very recent in 2016.

#23 Band_dad_of_2

Band_dad_of_2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:06 PM

If all the boundaries stay the same, Waxahachie would be 6A B. Waxahachie is in Region 20 along with Duncanville which goes to B.

That said, the regions and areas may or may not change due to some of the significant conference alignment changes. I would probably bet against them changing, though, since they last change was very recent in 2016.

It is my understanding that areas will not change.

As for Prosper, they are in Region 24 so they would be in Area B.

B - Regions 5, 20, 24, 30, 31

#24 Xenon

Xenon

LUNCH!!!

• Administrators
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:02 PM

Area B is going to be even more of a blood bath than it was in 2016.

#25 LostChoirGuy

LostChoirGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationProvo, Utah

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:15 PM

My guess is that there would be 6 bands that will qualify next year, up from 5 in 2016. Coppell would be the band that I would add to the 5 already accounted for (Keller, LD Bell, Waxahachie, Haltom, and Richland) with Duncanville and Timber Creek the next out.

#26 meursault

meursault

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:36 PM

So, Area B now has:

Keller: not much to say, over the past few years they’ve put out amazing shows with undeniable success.

Bell: one of the most legendary bands in the country, and although recently they haven’t been at “top form,” they’ve still been doing extremely well.

Haltom: missed state in 2016, then rebounded and got 3rd at a super regional this year.

Coppell: legendary group in terms of UIL. When’s the last time they didn’t make state FINALS, let alone state??

Duncanville: fallen a bit recently, but still.

Waxahachie: BOA regional finalists, UIL 5A finalists....

Prosper: see above

Richland: another GREAT group, has been doing really well recently.

Timber Creek: Great year last year, BOA regional finalist

And this is just a contest to determine who goes to state. All of these groups are probably state finals contender-level, if not previous state/super-regional/regional finalists. This is ridiculous!!!

#27 meursault

meursault

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:37 PM

Oh, and Keller Central of course. WOW.

#28 bancl

bancl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:58 PM

So, Area B now has:

Keller: not much to say, over the past few years they’ve put out amazing shows with undeniable success.

Bell: one of the most legendary bands in the country, and although recently they haven’t been at “top form,” they’ve still been doing extremely well.

Haltom: missed state in 2016, then rebounded and got 3rd at a super regional this year.

Coppell: legendary group in terms of UIL. When’s the last time they didn’t make state FINALS, let alone state??

Duncanville: fallen a bit recently, but still.

Waxahachie: BOA regional finalists, UIL 5A finalists....

Prosper: see above

Richland: another GREAT group, has been doing really well recently.

Timber Creek: Great year last year, BOA regional finalist

And this is just a contest to determine who goes to state. All of these groups are probably state finals contender-level, if not previous state/super-regional/regional finalists. This is ridiculous!!!

Way too early predictions, and many of these could go up or down on any given day.  This area is stacked!

1. Keller - Could be a 6A SMC medalist contender, great in the UIL system.

2. L.D. Bell - Always great.  Always.  A lock to advance, and a very strong contender for finals at state.

3. Waxahachie - 5A honor band, 5A finalist, great UIL band.

4. Haltom - Big year in 2017 for this group!

5. Coppell - As a previous poster said, when have they NOT made state?

6. Prosper - Major up-and-coming program!

7. Duncanville - Not what they were, but still a player in the UIL game.  Has advanced to the SMC every time for almost 4 decades!

8. Timber Creek  - Breakout year in 2017!

9. Richland - 5A honor band runner-up, 5A finalist.

10. Plano East - 6A state marching band participant in 2016.

11. Keller Central - strong program, consistent area and BOA regional finalist.

12. Martin - same as above, area and BOA regional finalist.

This one will be worth the price of admission.  

#29 Xenon

Xenon

LUNCH!!!

• Administrators
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:14 AM

My guess is that there would be 6 bands that will qualify next year, up from 5 in 2016.

While it might be possible to send 6, unfortunately I think that is an unlikely scenario. In 2016, there were *exactly* 25 bands that made a 1, and so there were exactly enough the minimum required to send 5. We'd have to get 5 more 1's to send 6 to State. Prosper and Waxahachie make up 2 of those, so 3 more to go. And we have to hope that none of the ones from 2016 get a 2.

#30 meursault

meursault

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:02 AM

While it might be possible to send 6, unfortunately I think that is an unlikely scenario. In 2016, there were *exactly* 25 bands that made a 1, and so there were exactly enough the minimum required to send 5. We'd have to get 5 more 1's to send 6 to State. Prosper and Waxahachie make up 2 of those, so 3 more to go. And we have to hope that none of the ones from 2016 get a 2.

ugh. My heart goes out to the Area B kids. What was already the most competitive area in the state (by a wide margin if you ask me) has just become *that* much more competitive. No matter how you look at it, there are gonna be at least a couple VERY deserving bands that aren't advancing next year.

#31 LostChoirGuy

LostChoirGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationProvo, Utah

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:59 PM

I'm spending way too much time thinking about this, especially since we don't even know for sure the classifications for the schools or if the areas will stay aligned the same, but here is my reasoning for why there will be 6 from area B.

There were 31 eligible 6A bands in 2016 excluding the NV bands from Plano that competed at region competitions. With Waxahachie, Prosper, and Richland as three more that number goes to 34. I'm also pretty sure that Mansfield Summit is moving up to 6A? Maybe I am getting confused because there is only an arlington summit that I can find listed and I assumed they must be the same but I'm not sure. So if I havent missed anyone, that makes 34/35 eligible bands. There were 6 bands that missed out on superior ratings in 2016, but 2 of them, DeSoto and Dallas White received superior ratings this year. I think that means that there is a good chance that there could be 30 bands that advance to area B.

It should be noted that there are several bands right on the edge of becoming 6A right now in the area, including Highland Park, Chisolm Trail, Birdville, and Carrollton Turner to name a few. It will be interesting to see if these schools stay steady (I suspect birdville and highland park will be pretty steady) or if they have growth trajectories.

#32 aaron067

aaron067

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:05 AM

There are 5 bands moving into 6A Area B:  Waxahachie, Richland, Prosper, Lake Ridge, and Summit.

In addition, there were 3 bands who did not advance to Area last year that received a 1st division this year (DeSoto, White and North Crowley), but there was also a group who did advance last year but received a 2 this year.  That leaves 32 total groups earning a 1st division this year.

#33 LostChoirGuy

LostChoirGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationProvo, Utah

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:11 AM

Oh wow! I knew I was sure to be missing some.

#34 Dog885

Dog885

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:11 AM

Oh jeez, as if making Area finals wasn't hard enough, now we have more people to compete against. Last year we only made finals because CTJ dropped out, and I don't think that'll save us again next year. Time to motivate people to practice even more and actually care.

#35 xol727

xol727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 03:14 AM

Do you think they'll realign any Regions/Areas because of these drastic changes or not because the last realignment was so recent?

#36 xol727

xol727

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:42 PM

^Bumping this thread for that question

#37 Danpod

Danpod

Do you danPod?

• Administrators
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationPlano/Frisco

Posted 01 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

Do you think they'll realign any Regions/Areas because of these drastic changes or not because the last realignment was so recent?

Usually on a two year cycle I think (2016 - 2018).  Might see some changes after 2018.

Danpod Valdres - Moderator at Txbands.com

#38 herbaflerb

herbaflerb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationRound Rock, TX

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:03 PM

Way too early predictions, and many of these could go up or down on any given day.  This area is stacked!

1. Keller - Could be a 6A SMC medalist contender, great in the UIL system.

2. L.D. Bell - Always great.  Always.  A lock to advance, and a very strong contender for finals at state.

3. Waxahachie - 5A honor band, 5A finalist, great UIL band.

4. Haltom - Big year in 2017 for this group!

5. Coppell - As a previous poster said, when have they NOT made state?

6. Prosper - Major up-and-coming program!

7. Duncanville - Not what they were, but still a player in the UIL game.  Has advanced to the SMC every time for almost 4 decades!

8. Timber Creek  - Breakout year in 2017!

9. Richland - 5A honor band runner-up, 5A finalist.

10. Plano East - 6A state marching band participant in 2016.

11. Keller Central - strong program, consistent area and BOA regional finalist.

12. Martin - same as above, area and BOA regional finalist.

This one will be worth the price of admission.  

I would put Haltom higher, based on their placements last season (like Atlanta).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users