Conference Realignments

So, Area B now has:

Keller: not much to say, over the past few years they’ve put out amazing shows with undeniable success.

Bell: one of the most legendary bands in the country, and although recently they haven’t been at “top form,” they’ve still been doing extremely well.

Haltom: missed state in 2016, then rebounded and got 3rd at a super regional this year.

Coppell: legendary group in terms of UIL. When’s the last time they didn’t make state FINALS, let alone state??

Duncanville: fallen a bit recently, but still.

Waxahachie: BOA regional finalists, UIL 5A finalists....

Prosper: see above

Richland: another GREAT group, has been doing really well recently.

Timber Creek: Great year last year, BOA regional finalist

And this is just a contest to determine who goes to state. All of these groups are probably state finals contender-level, if not previous state/super-regional/regional finalists. This is ridiculous!!!

So, Area B now has:

Keller: not much to say, over the past few years they’ve put out amazing shows with undeniable success.

Bell: one of the most legendary bands in the country, and although recently they haven’t been at “top form,” they’ve still been doing extremely well.

Haltom: missed state in 2016, then rebounded and got 3rd at a super regional this year.

Coppell: legendary group in terms of UIL. When’s the last time they didn’t make state FINALS, let alone state??

Duncanville: fallen a bit recently, but still.

Waxahachie: BOA regional finalists, UIL 5A finalists....

Prosper: see above

Richland: another GREAT group, has been doing really well recently.

Timber Creek: Great year last year, BOA regional finalist

And this is just a contest to determine who goes to state. All of these groups are probably state finals contender-level, if not previous state/super-regional/regional finalists. This is ridiculous!!!

Way too early predictions, and many of these could go up or down on any given day.  This area is stacked!

1. Keller - Could be a 6A SMC medalist contender, great in the UIL system.

2. L.D. Bell - Always great.  Always.  A lock to advance, and a very strong contender for finals at state.

3. Waxahachie - 5A honor band, 5A finalist, great UIL band.

4. Haltom - Big year in 2017 for this group!

5. Coppell - As a previous poster said, when have they NOT made state?

6. Prosper - Major up-and-coming program!

7. Duncanville - Not what they were, but still a player in the UIL game.  Has advanced to the SMC every time for almost 4 decades!

8. Timber Creek  - Breakout year in 2017!

9. Richland - 5A honor band runner-up, 5A finalist.

10. Plano East - 6A state marching band participant in 2016.

11. Keller Central - strong program, consistent area and BOA regional finalist.

12. Martin - same as above, area and BOA regional finalist.

This one will be worth the price of admission.  

My guess is that there would be 6 bands that will qualify next year, up from 5 in 2016.

While it might be possible to send 6, unfortunately I think that is an unlikely scenario. In 2016, there were *exactly* 25 bands that made a 1, and so there were exactly enough the minimum required to send 5. We'd have to get 5 more 1's to send 6 to State. Prosper and Waxahachie make up 2 of those, so 3 more to go. And we have to hope that none of the ones from 2016 get a 2.

While it might be possible to send 6, unfortunately I think that is an unlikely scenario. In 2016, there were *exactly* 25 bands that made a 1, and so there were exactly enough the minimum required to send 5. We'd have to get 5 more 1's to send 6 to State. Prosper and Waxahachie make up 2 of those, so 3 more to go. And we have to hope that none of the ones from 2016 get a 2.

ugh. My heart goes out to the Area B kids. What was already the most competitive area in the state (by a wide margin if you ask me) has just become *that* much more competitive. No matter how you look at it, there are gonna be at least a couple VERY deserving bands that aren't advancing next year.

I'm spending way too much time thinking about this, especially since we don't even know for sure the classifications for the schools or if the areas will stay aligned the same, but here is my reasoning for why there will be 6 from area B.

There were 31 eligible 6A bands in 2016 excluding the NV bands from Plano that competed at region competitions. With Waxahachie, Prosper, and Richland as three more that number goes to 34. I'm also pretty sure that Mansfield Summit is moving up to 6A? Maybe I am getting confused because there is only an arlington summit that I can find listed and I assumed they must be the same but I'm not sure. So if I havent missed anyone, that makes 34/35 eligible bands. There were 6 bands that missed out on superior ratings in 2016, but 2 of them, DeSoto and Dallas White received superior ratings this year. I think that means that there is a good chance that there could be 30 bands that advance to area B.

It should be noted that there are several bands right on the edge of becoming 6A right now in the area, including Highland Park, Chisolm Trail, Birdville, and Carrollton Turner to name a few. It will be interesting to see if these schools stay steady (I suspect birdville and highland park will be pretty steady) or if they have growth trajectories.

There are 5 bands moving into 6A Area B:  Waxahachie, Richland, Prosper, Lake Ridge, and Summit.

In addition, there were 3 bands who did not advance to Area last year that received a 1st division this year (DeSoto, White and North Crowley), but there was also a group who did advance last year but received a 2 this year.  That leaves 32 total groups earning a 1st division this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Way too early predictions, and many of these could go up or down on any given day.  This area is stacked!

1. Keller - Could be a 6A SMC medalist contender, great in the UIL system.

2. L.D. Bell - Always great.  Always.  A lock to advance, and a very strong contender for finals at state.

3. Waxahachie - 5A honor band, 5A finalist, great UIL band.

4. Haltom - Big year in 2017 for this group!

5. Coppell - As a previous poster said, when have they NOT made state?

6. Prosper - Major up-and-coming program!

7. Duncanville - Not what they were, but still a player in the UIL game.  Has advanced to the SMC every time for almost 4 decades!

8. Timber Creek  - Breakout year in 2017!

9. Richland - 5A honor band runner-up, 5A finalist.

10. Plano East - 6A state marching band participant in 2016.

11. Keller Central - strong program, consistent area and BOA regional finalist.

12. Martin - same as above, area and BOA regional finalist.

This one will be worth the price of admission.  

I would put Haltom higher, based on their placements last season (like Atlanta).

• 2 weeks later...

Where did the LISD north trio end up?  They were in area B, which was probably happy to see them go, but what area did they end up in.  Bands in that area probably were not that excited to see them join their area with regards to UIL qualifying.  I hope it is an area with a large number of bands.

I'm going to make a statement that is just an observation, as we look at these 5A bands that are advancing to 6A it should be worth noting that sometime BOA Regionals can be a good sign as to if these bands can compete with 6A. If these bands are right up there with the 6A bands they may be in for an exciting year, but if not it may be tough to recover. Yes, they are different circuits but these BOA contests may give us some early ideas about which new 6A bands are there to really win.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like UIL realignment just came out!

In the greater Austin area, it looks like Pflugerville (consistent Area D 6A finalist) moved down to 5A, and Austin High moved up to 6A. Westlake and Lake Travis (TMEA Area F) moved out of their district with Leander and Vandegrift back into the district of Bowie and Anderson in 6A (TMEA Area D) so I wonder if they will continue to compete in Area F or if they will switch completely to Area D.

I always found it confusing as to how they did these realignments. Vandegrift, Westwood, and Anderson are all extremely close to each other (I'd say within 5 miles) in Northwest Austin, yet they all three are in different districts, while Hays and Lake Travis are about 45 minutes away from each other yet they are in the same district.

Can't wait to see what's in store for next year!

From the UIL (I added some emphasis and formatting):

Dear Band Directors,

Below are the UIL Marching Band Areas for the fall of 2018 and fall of 2019. 4A and down alignments are the same as the fall of 2016 and 2017. There are some updates to 5A and 6A. As is always the case two factors were used to determine the Area alignment: geography (travel) and number of schools. When possible we would like to have area contests with at least 20 bands, but that do not exceed 30 bands. As you know, keeping an area contest in the range of 20-30 bands provides a better adjudication experience, allows for a schedule that can easily fit within one contest day, allows for a Finals experience for the schools, and allows for delays due to inclement weather. Of course, the number of bands at Area is ultimately determined by the ratings at the region contest. Over the past two months we have spent many hours analyzing this data (including recent region contest ratings, schools moving to a different conference, and new schools) to develop an alignment that we hope will create Area contests of 20-30 bands, while minimizing travel for the schools.

This information is posted at www.uiltexas.org/music and at the following link: https://align.tmea.org/align_1820/

5A Schools9 Areas (approximate number of bands, including those that qualify but may not attend)

A – Regions 1, 6, 7, 16, 22 (25 bands: 5 to State)
B – Regions 2, 24, 25 (20 bands: 4 to State)
C – Regions 3, 4, 20, 21 (25 bands: 5 to State)
D – Regions *8-North, 12, 18, 26 (20 bands: 4 to State)
E – Regions 13, 17, 19, 23, 27 (19 bands: 3 to State)
F – Regions 5, 30, 31 (20 bands: 4 to State)
G – Regions 14, 15, 28 (25 bands: 5 to State)  
H – Regions 11, 29, 32 (22 bands: 4 to State)
I – Regions *8-South, 9, 10, 33 (21 bands: 4 to State)

Approximately 38 Bands at the 2019 State Contest (two more than 2017)

6A Schools9 Areas (approximate number of bands, including those that qualify but may not attend)

A – Regions 1, 6, 7, 16, 22 (13 bands: 2 to State)
B – Regions 5, 20, 24, 30, 31 (30 bands: 6 to State)
C – Regions 2, 3, 4, 21, 25 (25 bands: 5 to State)
D – Regions 8, 12, 18, 26 (30 bands: 6 to State)
E – Regions 13, 17, 19 (21 bands: 4 to State)
F – Regions 9, 10, 33 (24 bands: 4 to State)
G – Regions 14, 15, 28 (22 bands: 4 to State)
H – Regions 11, 29, 32 (22 bands: 4 to State)
I – Regions 23, 27 (26 bands: 5 to state)

Approximately 40 Bands at the 2018 State Contest (same as 2016)

- There are many more 6A schools than 5A schools in the greater Houston area, hence the need for three 6A Areas and two 5A areas in that part of the state.
- There are more 5A schools than 6A schools in the greater DFW area, hence the need for three 5A Areas and two 6A areas in that part of the state.
- There are very few 6A school west of the I-35 corridor, hence the expectation of only having 13 6A schools at the Area A contest.

- The preferred date for 2018 Area is Saturday, October 27: 2A, 4A, and 6A
- The preferred date for 2019 Area is Saturday, October 26: 3A and 5A (There will continue to be no 1A Area contest)

The Regions in each Area will determine the site for the contest through those region executive secretaries and area committees. Remember that 2A is now on the same year as 4A and 6A.

So in Region 32, all of Leander ISD competes against all of North side ISD and only 4 advance to State. That'll be quite the contest. Vandy, Vista, Leander, CTJ, Ronald Reagan, Churchill...who else?

Or is it: 

6A Lake Travis HS 6A Westlake HS 6A Vandegrift HS 6A Vista Ridge HS 6A

Leander HS

6A O`Connor HS 6A Warren HS 6A Jay HS 6A Stevens HS 6A Holmes HS 6A Clark HS 6A Brandeis HS 6A Marshall HS 6ABrennan HS 6A Taft HS 6A

Health Careers HS

Region 11 High Schools 6A East Central HS 6A Del Rio HS     6A Judson HS 6A Judson Early College HS         6A Clemens HS 6ASteele HS 6A South San Antonio HS 6A Eagle Pass HS

Or is it:

6A Lake Travis HS 6A Westlake HS 6A Vandegrift HS 6A Vista Ridge HS 6A

Leander HS

6A O`Connor HS 6A Warren HS 6A Jay HS 6A Stevens HS 6A Holmes HS 6A Clark HS 6A Brandeis HS 6A Marshall HS 6ABrennan HS 6A Taft HS 6A

Health Careers HS

Region 11 High Schools 6A East Central HS 6A Del Rio HS 6A Judson HS 6A Judson Early College HS 6A Clemens HS 6ASteele HS 6A South San Antonio HS 6A Eagle Pass HS

I'm sure you're right. I was thinking Reagan and CTJ were in the Northside ISD.