Conference Realignments

With UIL recently announcing the planned conference cutoffs for 2018-2020, as well as a preliminary rank order, what are your thoughts on how this is going to affect bands over the next few years? Although I'm not sure if this rank order is official, it shows some of the potential changes. Some examples if this list is to be trusted are 4A powerhouse Princeton moving up to 5A, 3A Silver Medalist Farmersville moving up to 4A, Consistent 4A state band Atlanta moving down to 3A, and the mighty Waxahachie moving up to 6A.

What do you guys think about what this might cause in the future state contests, and furthermore, what is your opinion of what UIL is doing by pushing enrollment cutoffs up?

Edit: Also I just realized that this should probably go in another topic, but in a way this does sort of pertain to upcoming contests.

With UIL recently announcing the planned conference cutoffs for 2018-2020, as well as a preliminary rank order, what are your thoughts on how this is going to affect bands over the next few years? Although I'm not sure if this rank order is official, it shows some of the potential changes. Some examples if this list is to be trusted are 4A powerhouse Princeton moving up to 5A, 3A Silver Medalist Farmersville moving up to 4A, Consistent 4A state band Atlanta moving down to 3A, and the mighty Waxahachie moving up to 6A.

What do you guys think about what this might cause in the future state contests, and furthermore, what is your opinion of what UIL is doing by pushing enrollment cutoffs up?

Edit: Also I just realized that this should probably go in another topic, but in a way this does sort of pertain to upcoming contests.

I could see Princeton becoming a 5a state qualifier easily

If everything were to stay the same, Richland would be in Area B, which is where Keller, LD Bell, Coppell, Duncanville, and Plano East qualified from in 2016 (if I am not mistaken).  The other Area finalists that did not qualify for state that year were Timber Creek, Haltom, Martin, Mansfield, and Haltom.  With both Richland and Waxahachie moving up to 6A and in the boundaries of this Area, if things stay pretty similar and with the excellent performances by several of those groups last year, I can see lots of these groups being very competitive.  

I know that that last sentence does not make any sense, but I'm too lazy to fix it so try your best to understand what I mean.  haha

I think they could advance. I feel that the only locks for state next year from Area B are Keller and Haltom (after this season), LD Bell is likely but has been waning in past years. Coppell and Duncanville could go either way. I could definitely see them in the mix.

I think LD Bell is a lock much more so than Haltom. Keep in mind that a single excellent year at a few BOA scored competitions does not always equate to a great showing at UIL the next year. I think they have a good shot though. Personally I think Coppell, Richland, and Waxahachie all have the capability to beat out Duncanville. Timber Creek had a break out year also this year and they were one place from qualifying in 2016. I'm excited to see what happens here.

I think LD Bell is a lock much more so than Haltom. Keep in mind that a single excellent year at a few BOA scored competitions does not always equate to a great showing at UIL the next year. I think they have a good shot though. Personally I think Coppell, Richland, and Waxahachie all have the capability to beat out Duncanville. Timber Creek had a break out year also this year and they were one place from qualifying in 2016. I'm excited to see what happens here.

Yeah....I don't disagree with Cityscapes completely about Bell.  Bell hasn't....quite....been Bell lately.  That being said, they're a lock until they're not.

Also, I believe Prosper is moving up to 6A....Prosper was great this year and finished 7th in 5A state.  Haltom was fantastic but this was their first year to really break out and set themselves apart...next year will go a long way to see if that success is sustained or a one-time fluke. Personally, I don't think it was a fluke.  Haltom is primed for some long-term success. 

The interesting thing about Area B is how many bands will make it to State.  I count 36 bands in Area B...if 35 attend, that will be 7 bands.  In my scenario, that's 7 bands (after Keller and Bell) competing for the final 5 spots...less than 35, and some fantastic bands will miss out.

My opinion....top bands in Area B.

Locks

LD Bell

Keller

Great but not quite locks

Haltom

Waxahachie

Richland

Coppell

Prosper (if 6A)

Keller Central

Duncanville

My way, way, way, waaaaay too early prediction!!

Bell

Keller

Waxahachie

Haltom

Richland

Yes, I remembered about Prosper also moving up to 6A being in area B right after I went to bed last night and figured I would correct myself in the morning. That is three fantastic 5A state finalists moving up and Highland Park barely missed the cut off which would have been a fourth. Prosper grew so much over the past few years that they have nearly 3000 students now, so yes, they are DEFINITELY in 6A.

It should be noted that Haltom is not new to being a top level band. I seem to recall both Haltom and Richland being regular state finalists back in the mid to late 2000s.

Yes, I remembered about Prosper also moving up to 6A being in area B right after I went to bed last night and figured I would correct myself in the morning. That is three fantastic 5A state finalists moving up and Highland Park barely missed the cut off which would have been a fourth. Prosper grew so much over the past few years that they have nearly 3000 students now, so yes, they are DEFINITELY in 6A.

It should be noted that Haltom is not new to being a top level band. I seem to recall both Haltom and Richland being regular state finalists back in the mid to late 2000s.

I thing you may be misunderstanding what I'm saying about Haltom....this was a serious break-out season for them.  Yes, they've always been a consistently good band but this year they took that next step....they went from an 8th place finish in St Louis in 2016 to medaling in 2017 in Atlanta.  There's a big difference from being a "middle-of-the-pack" finalist in a super regional (10 points out of first) to medaling in a super regional (3 points out of 1st behind only Wando and Tarpon Springs).

If all the boundaries stay the same, Waxahachie would be 6A B. Waxahachie is in Region 20 along with Duncanville which goes to B.

That said, the regions and areas may or may not change due to some of the significant conference alignment changes. I would probably bet against them changing, though, since they last change was very recent in 2016.

If all the boundaries stay the same, Waxahachie would be 6A B. Waxahachie is in Region 20 along with Duncanville which goes to B.

That said, the regions and areas may or may not change due to some of the significant conference alignment changes. I would probably bet against them changing, though, since they last change was very recent in 2016.

It is my understanding that areas will not change.

As for Prosper, they are in Region 24 so they would be in Area B.

B - Regions 5, 20, 24, 30, 31