DCI 2018

MadisonBandMan1

I'm not sure why there's all this hatred for Bloo this season. I saw them on opening day and saw a recent video of them and think they've absolutely deserved the scores they've received. The biggest thing for me is that the show seems very fresh. I have the utmost respect for Crown, and I think they play incredibly, but the show seems stale. We've seen guards run around on the field with growls on their faces ever since LD Bell did 'The Remaining' in 2006. It seems a little dated to me. I'm sure that might be an unpopular opinion, but I personally believe the top 2 this year will be Bloo and SCV. 

I'm not sure why there's all this hatred for Bloo this season. I saw them on opening day and saw a recent video of them and think they've absolutely deserved the scores they've received. The biggest thing for me is that the show seems very fresh. I have the utmost respect for Crown, and I think they play incredibly, but the show seems stale. We've seen guards run around on the field with growls on their faces ever since LD Bell did 'The Remaining' in 2006. It seems a little dated to me. I'm sure that might be an unpopular opinion, but I personally believe the top 2 this year will be Bloo and SCV.

I haven’t seen anyone hating on Bloo. At least not in here. I thiink some of us just don’t prefer their style, but there’s no doubt that they are great. I’m looking forward to seeing all of the big guys live in San Antonio. It’s very different live. There are just so many things you miss watching it online. I’m sure I will love Bloo after the 21st! :)

I will do my Happy Dance if the Mandarins get in to Finals (Lovingly referred to as the MANdarins).  Tons of character in their show, the guard is outstanding, and they are quickly becoming one of the better performing groups in the activity.

Something amazing happened yesterday: the two corps im rooting for the most tied at a competition! (the two corps being crown and BAC) and im really starting to love scv's show as well. Those trumpet and baritone screamers are insane!

I just came back from camp today and was so shocked and happy when I saw that they tied! Can't wait to see how all of this turns out

I’m watching the Midwestern Championship right now and just saw the Music City drum corps for the first time. They did a fantastic job and really seem to be doing well on their move from Open Class to World Class. Being a Tennessee girl, I especially enjoyed their Casey Jones theme. And our own Jeremiah Wooten is the head drum major.

Great job Jeremiah! Loved it!

It's the most wonderful time of the year!  Drum Corps hits the Lone Star State this week!

July 19th:
DCI North Texas - Denton, TX
DCI Central Texas - Belton, TX (Streamed on FloMarching)

July 20th:
Tour of Champions Texas - Katy, TX

July 21st: 
DCI Southwestern Championships - San Antonio, TX (Streamed on FloMarching)

July 23rd:
DCI Mesquite - Mesquite, TX 

Tickets:

Tickets are still on sale at all these events even though the really good seats are probably loooooooooong gone.  If you can make it out to one of these events, I highly encourage you to do so!  Last year, I bought tickets a day before the Tour of Champions Show in Broken Arrow.  The seats weren't the best, but the experience was something I would never forget.  Double check details like ticket pickup and parking before you head out.  

Parking:
Yes, this deserves its own section.  Please note that The Alamodome parking is $20 with NO in-and-out privileges.  This charge is brought to you by The City of San Antonio and not DCI or The Alamodome facility itself.  I've seen people argue at the ticket counter or to ushers about the price.  Shut up and plan ahead!  This is a downtown stadium so you probably will not find many places that are going to be cheaper.  However, if you don't mind walking a bit, you can find some reasonably priced lots.  Please be careful when traveling around the city.  Be vigilant and do not leave valuables in the car!!!  DO NOT PARK AT THE HOUSES ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE ALAMODOME!!!!  It's illegal and I am not bailing you people out from Bexar County Jail.

The Lot/Practices:
If price is an issue, consider hanging around the warm-up lot!  It's free and the groups love having fans around to hype them up.  Also consider attending a drum corps rehearsal if a group is being housed in your area.  The corps websites have information about where they are practicing.  You will learn so much from watching the groups rehearse and clean material.  Full ensemble work typically happens during the evening hours when it's relatively cool outside.  If you decide to do one or both of these activities, make sure to stay hydrated and use/bring plenty of sunscreen.  I still have my shorts tan from watching the Blue Devils rehearse in Tulsa last year.  And if you REALLY want to get in to Heaven, inquire online about volunteering with a specific group.  The food trucks can always use an extra hand and the kiddos are beyond appreciative for your time.

Buy Stuff:
Be prepared!!  The souvenir trucks are sooooooooo tempting.  Even if you aren't planning on purchasing anything, there is a good chance that you still will.  Support these corps members!!  The first corps I ever donated to was The Academy back in 2006.  At their souvenir station, they had an empty gas can labeled The Academy Fuel Fund.  I dropped a couple of bucks in there and the volunteers running the truck thanked me profusely.  Every little bit helps.  These people deserve it.

Now that I am back in San Antonio, I cannot begin to tell you how thrilled I am to be at The Alamodome Saturday afternoon as well as a rehearsal or two on Friday!!  

Now that I am back in San Antonio, I cannot begin to tell you how thrilled I am to be at The Alamodome Saturday afternoon as well as a rehearsal or two on Friday!!  

What rehearsals are you going to? I'm probably gonna stop by Boston and Bluecoats before heading to the dome. This question is extended to everyone, I'd love to meet some of you guys.

What rehearsals are you going to? I'm probably gonna stop by Boston and Bluecoats before heading to the dome. This question is extended to everyone, I'd love to meet some of you guys.

I am going to try and check out one of the rehearsals on Friday night since my buddies and I will be at The Alamodome all day Saturday for the contest.  From what I know, Boston, Mandarins, and The Academy will already be in town on Friday evening since they are not part of the Tour of Champions show in Katy that night. 

DCI Southwest Housing Sites (According to the internet):

Blue Devils - Pearsall H.S.

Bluecoats - Judson H.S.

Carolina Crown - Madison H.S. (Rehearsal at Gustafson Stadium)
Santa Clara Vanguard - Seguin H.S.
The Cavaliers - Jourdanton H.S.
Boston Crusaders - Claudia Taylor Johnson H.S.
Blue Stars - Driscoll Middle School
Mandarins - Ed White Middle School (Rehearsal at Wheatley Heights Complex)
The Academy - Veterans Memorial H.S.
The Cadets - Rehearsal at Alamo Stadium

Spirit of Atlanta - Wagner H.S.

Pacific Crest - Medina Valley H.S.

Last year, I bought tickets a day before the Tour of Champions Show in Broken Arrow. The seats weren't the best, but the experience was something I would never forget. Double check details like ticket pickup and parking before you head out.

Ha, we did the exact same thing last summer. I was sitting in my recliner reading band stuff online as usual when I saw that there were still tickets available for the next day in Broken Arrow. I hollered up the stairs to my kid and asked her if she wanted to go on an impromptu road trip early the next morning. She was all for it, so I bought some hot seat tickets in the bleachers out in the blazing sun, and off we went. It was a long drive from Cedar Park to Tulsa, but so worth it. We had a blast!

Hopefully we will run into you in the Dome this Saturday.

Ha, we did the exact same thing last summer. I was sitting in my recliner reading band stuff online as usual when I saw that there were still tickets available for the next day in Broken Arrow. I hollered up the stairs to my kid and asked her if she wanted to go on an impromptu road trip early the next morning. She was all for it, so I bought some hot seat tickets in the bleachers out in the blazing sun, and off we went. It was a long drive from Cedar Park to Tulsa, but so worth it. We had a blast!

Hopefully we will run into you in the Dome this Saturday.

Holy crap!  We were at the same show last year???  Weird.  And you (And everyone else) better come by and say hello to Sanchez and I this weekend!  

Holy crap! We were at the same show last year??? Weird. And you (And everyone else) better come by and say hello to Sanchez and I this weekend!

Where are y’all sitting? We will be in Section 111 on the 16th row. Hopefully it won’t be too close to the field to fully appreciate the corps!

Where are y’all sitting? We will be in Section 111 on the 16th row. Hopefully it won’t be too close to the field to fully appreciate the corps!

We are in Section 112 (50 yard line) about 10 rows up.  I plan on being very shook.  I don't think you all are going to have much hearing left at the end of the night!

There we go crown! They finally closed the gap between them and bloo! I know, you can't compare scores across competitions, but still. Im loving tyat new ballad hit and the changein the ending of blow it up, start again btw.

Are you going to watch Crown practice at your high school later this week?  What an honor to have them on your home turf!

There we go crown! They finally closed the gap between them and bloo! I know, you can't compare scores across competitions, but still. Im loving tyat new ballad hit and the changein the ending of blow it up, start again btw.

I really think Bentonville scores were just really inflated, it's very unlikely that every group there improved their scores by 2 or 3 points from the night before. Also take into account that the judging panel was incomplete compared to Midwestern and the gaps between the corps at Bentonville all shifted up with each other. If anything, Phantom is closer to Crown now than last night.

And don't forget the #1 rule of DCI: don't compare scores from different competitions. It can be helpful sometimes but until the corps go head to head again, there really is no telling how they'll size up against each other.

Are you going to watch Crown practice at your high school later this week? What an honor to have them on your home turf!

They don't rehearse there, they are just housing there. They actually rehearse in a Stadium across town. But yes, it is quite an honor, and I wish they were rehearsing over here so I could have a chance to go for a while. Sadly I can't even go to the alamodome because my parents have other plans. Grr. I have never been to watch a DCI competition live or watched online live. The closest I have been was the mmx performance crossmen gave as their debut early this summer before they went on tour.