2018 BOA San Antonio?

• 2 months later...

I heard that their show this year is supposed to be dark and they are playing Carmina Burana . Very excited for this group to show me what they are really about next year

Just want everyone wants to watch is another sinister production that only the Band and its Family Like. This tells you why University Bands do not do these type of productions. It is very appropriate that at the end of University of Texas performance not only at LISD's Band festival, but also UIL that the announcer told the folks that the Band did "7" different shows during the season.   I know of no Corps Style group to include the DCI Champions that get the Attention of Ohio States Script Ohio, The Sunburst drills of the Pride of the Southland from Tennessee, and Grandioso by the Longhorn " Show Band of the Southwest". When are we going to stop putting on shows that most of world thinks are boring.

Just want everyone wants to watch is another sinister production that only the Band and its Family Like. This tells you why University Bands do not do these type of productions. It is very appropriate that at the end of University of Texas performance not only at LISD's Band festival, but also UIL that the announcer told the folks that the Band did "7" different shows during the season. I know of no Corps Style group to include the DCI Champions that get the Attention of Ohio States Script Ohio, The Sunburst drills of the Pride of the Southland from Tennessee, and Grandioso by the Longhorn " Show Band of the Southwest". When are we going to stop putting on shows that most of world thinks are boring.

I hardly think our shows in Texas are considered boring. I definitely am getting a general sense from you of an overall disdain for a great number of our high school bands. What exactly is it that you are looking for in this forum? Not being snarky, I just honestly want to know.

I disagree with his post, though I do have to say that I hope by "carmina burana" they are going to do some of the other pieces from the amazing Orff work and not the extremely overdone O Fortuna.

I’ve heard from students that the show is entitled Carmina Burana and it’s only music from Carmina Burana. So I’ve heard

My comments about using Carl Orff's Carmina Burana is not to attack the quality of TX HS Bands. FYI I have heard Orff's compositon done in person by the Berlin Philharmonic under Von Karajan and  and the Philadelphia Orchestra under Ormandy. I have also played this number in College and Community Bands. I would rate the University of Michigan Bands performance of this work under Revelli, the gold standard of how a College Band plays this music. 

Here is the problem, this music is meant to be played in a Concert Hall. I do not care if it is Broken Arrow, Tarpon Springs, FL, Munford TN or many of our Great Bands(TX Bands are by far the nations finest), this is not suited for a performance on a football field in a stadium with terrible placement of stands. 

As for my being critical of trying to put on the field mini-theater performances, please let me tell you a story. 

In May 1973, I was an Assistant Band Director at Loara HS in Anaheim, CA. We were known as the Show Band of the Southwest Marching 322 members in Band and Drill Team. The previous Fall we had won 5 Major contests. In May 1973, we faced off in the Western States Music Tournament in La Mesa CA against the UIL 3A Honor Band from Monahans, TX. At the field show contest both of us used as our endings, the Finale of the Russian Christmas Music by H. Owen Reed. Most Band Directors are aware of this piece of Music. Most of the Fans thought that either one or the other of the Bands would win because we had used this number. When the awards were given out another Band from TX won using a show ending with the Battle Hymn of the Republic. I was so sure that we had been "jobbed" by the Judges, that the next morning I had breakfast with the Late Dr. William Foster, Director of the Florida A&M Marching 100 who was one of the 3 university judges. I asked him after the fact, which Bands performance of the Finale was the Best. Dr. foster looked straight at me and said, I thought both of you did lousy jobs. H Owen Reed wrote that composition for a Concert Hall setting. "That is where it belongs"   

That is why I think so little of using Orff for a field show.

Lets actually see what Haltom does or doesn't put to the field before we start criticizing it :)

I definitely get your point, but I think many concert pieces have been tastefully and masterfully transformed into great field shows, and bands with excellent concert playing ability like Haltom could certainly pull it off. I mean, look at what Vandegrift did this past year. Absolutely fabulous musical performances of adaptations of music that were never meant for marching band. I mean, Haltom basically gave us a Concert Hall performance on the field this past year, anyways as that was the theme behind their show and it was very successful.

Lets actually see what Haltom does or doesn't put to the field before we start criticizing it :)

I definitely get your point, but I think many concert pieces have been tastefully and masterfully transformed into great field shows, and bands with excellent concert playing ability like Haltom could certainly pull it off. I mean, look at what Vandegrift did this past year. Absolutely fabulous musical performances of adaptations of music that were never meant for marching band. I mean, Haltom basically gave us a Concert Hall performance on the field this past year, anyways as that was the theme behind their show and it was very successful.

Excellent point about Vandy. That show last year was most definitely a concert hall performance! Maybe some would say it doesn't belong on a football field, but it was brilliantly played, completely mesmerizing and a wonderful change of pace from what we usually hear performed in a football stadium. Kudos to Haltom if they can bring it like Vandy did. I'll be looking forward to it!

Excellent point about Vandy. That show last year was most definitely a concert hall performance! Maybe some would say it doesn't belong on a football field, but it was brilliantly played, completely mesmerizing and a wonderful change of pace from what we usually hear performed in a football stadium. Kudos to Haltom if they can bring it like Vandy did. I'll be looking forward to it!

When I think of groups such as Vandy , Marcus , haltom. I think of a marching concert band . During there concert seasons they bring it and sound like real pro and I believe they bring exactly that to the field what they are best at and that is playing . Marcus last year improved drastically with visual . Vandy blew us away and haltom finally was able to show the boa world what they are truly capable of and that just gonna be better. I’m super excited to watch this group evolve in the next few year into something truly great