2018 6A State

Which bands tend to do better at UIL than boa events? I know that in years past Keller was a more UIL focused group. I only mention them because I am more familiar with their history than others. Who else?

I've always wondered, how can a show be more for UIL than BOA? I know that all UIL judges are in the box, but is that all?

I think there's a decent chance that either Flower Mound, Hebron or Marcus will win and at least one of those three will also medal. A medal sweep like 2016 would not be the most shocking thing ever, though the competition does just seem to get more and more intense, and Vandy, Keller, Reagan and Leander are certainly in the hunt. Will be VERY interesting to see how this contrasts to BOA San Antonio just a few days before it.

I've always wondered, how can a show be more for UIL than BOA? I know that all UIL judges are in the box, but is that all?

The main difference is that UIL is 60% Music and 40% Marching and Man.  Visual is not a caption under UIL.  The fact is that a Non Corps style Band could not be judged fairly in BOA contests. In 2016 Spring Hill and China Springs both made the 4A Finals at UIL. In the Finals they received higher M&M Scores than most of the Corps Style Bands.   This made many Corps style Directors angry.  It seems that they did not like having a Band that did precision drills get a good M&M Score.  If you watch the DVD of the Contest, both Spring Hill and China Spring were crisper in their drills than the Corps Style Bands. While most Bands in TX are Corps style, UIL is tasked to judge all types of Bands fairly. The current BOA way of judging clearly discriminates against, Military Style, Show Style and Big Ten Style Bands. For those who disagree, please look at the fact that in 2016, the Florida Marching Band Coalition agreed that the scores for Show Bands under the criteria they had in place was unfair.  They now have different score sheets for Show Bands in Contests. That is an honest appraisal.  When BOA first started their was a variety of Bands that entered. Once they saw that unless you were corps style, you could not win. They walked.  UIL has a responsibility that BOA(which is a Private Organization does not have) of making the playing field as equal as possible. 

I mean while their will be an argument about military vs. Corps style at the 5A and 6A level you will see all corps bands in finals at this point. Notably shows can only be 8 minutes long, tend to use less electronics (that is relative of course) and have less props. But, many programs at the 6A level will give you a show that is not stretching the bounds of marching band on a UIL year like they might for a BOA year.

Get your calendars out, because the dates for 2018 State are published!

Monday, November 5th - 6A Prelims

Tuesday, November 6th - 2A Prelims, 6A Finals, 2A Finals

Wednesday, November 7th - 4A Prelims and Finals

2A has made the transition over to even numbered years, so now we have all the Even Classes on Even Years and all the Odd Classes on Odd Years.

Also, with 6A being Monday/Tuesday instead of Tuesday/Wednesday, it will be easier/cheaper for bands to stay-over from BOA San Antonio and will also give more room for traveling to Grand Nationals for those that choose to do both.

Get your calendars out, because the dates for 2018 State are published!

Monday, November 5th - 6A Prelims

Tuesday, November 6th - 2A Prelims, 6A Finals, 2A Finals

Wednesday, November 7th - 4A Prelims and Finals

2A has made the transition over to even numbered years, so now we have all the Even Classes on Even Years and all the Odd Classes on Odd Years.

Also, with 6A being Monday/Tuesday instead of Tuesday/Wednesday, it will be easier/cheaper for bands to stay-over from BOA San Antonio and will also give more room for traveling to Grand Nationals for those that choose to do both.

I'm so glad to see these changes to the schedule for 6A!

See y'all in about 9.5 months. ;)

Definitely weird to have 6A at the beginning of the State contests, but this makes a ton of sense and it is a clear concession by UIL.  

I'm so glad to see these changes to the schedule for 6A!

See y'all in about 9.5 months. ;)

BRING ME SOME KETTLE CORN!!!!

Forgive me if someone's already responded, but here's my answer.

UIL scores shows based on musical and visual merit. This means shows with nice clean lines (visual) and clean technique (both marching and musical) score better. So when schools are in their state year, they tend to have more "boring" shows, as opposed to years like this (a BOA year if you will). As the 6A schools didn't have state this year, shows were "cooler", AKA more of a BOA show.

While BOA values music and visual, if you look at the scoring sheet GE has a much bigger chunk of the final score than UIL considers. BOA shows will have big gaudy props (see: CTJ or Tarpon (even though they're not Texan)), really neat ensembles (Reagan), or neat uniforms (Flower Mound). UIL doesn't really care about this.