Two types of band parents...

LeanderMomma

So, in my limited 5 years of band (and post-band) parenthood, I've discovered that there are two distinct types of band parents in the stands at competitions, games and marching festivals. Correct me if I'm wrong.

First, you have the humble, gracious, fun loving, courteous parents who support everyone. They show love to all of the bands and to the parents around them. They love talking about their own kids, but they also love hearing about yours. They are patient with others in the massively crowded stands, they cheer very loudly for every band, they don't rush off the moment their child's band has finished performing, and they truly love the whole experience. They become like instant family to you, regardless of how much better or worse their band might be than yours.

Then there are the parents that look down their nose at anyone not affiliated with their program. They act disgusted if you talk too gleefully about other bands. Sigh heavily if you cheer too loudly. Glare if you dare need to get up and walk by them in tight spaces. Speak haughtily of their programs accomplishments and certainly don't cheer for ANY other band. Suddenly become extremely animated when their child's band takes the field. They leave the facility immediately upon completion of their show. They truly have not one iota of graciousness in them for any other program and they don't mind if everyone knows it. In fact, they hope you feel honored to have simply been in their presence.

I have met both types of parents in these past 5 years, and I am truly remarkably impressed by the first and thoroughly disgusted by the second.

Lord, help me to always be one of those parents in the former category. Amen. :)

Agreed in general with one caveat - sometimes the parents that get up and leave after their band performs are chaperones or have some other function that requires them to go. Otherwise this seems to be the norm in my experience too. I sat near parents from Marcus, Flower Mound, Avon, and Leander much of the day yesterday and had some really good conversations. It is always enjoyable to discuss band with people from other schools to get their perspective. I think all from yesterday fit in the first category.

Agreed in general with one caveat - sometimes the parents that get up and leave after their band performs are chaperones or have some other function that requires them to go. Otherwise this seems to be the norm in my experience too. I sat near parents from Marcus, Flower Mound, Avon, and Leander much of the day yesterday and had some really good conversations. It is always enjoyable to discuss band with people from other schools to get their perspective. I think all from yesterday fit in the first category.

I met a TON of good folks this weekend and only a small few fell into the latter category. ;)

I am a senior Vandegrift parent.  I have been shushed and had eyes rolled at me in the stands this year.  NOT at BOA San Antonio but at other competitions.  We had to report a parent in the stands at UIL Region for commenting loudly (negative comments) during our show and others.  (do not know what school he was from if any)   I did not get to meet any Avon parents in San Antonio, but that would have been nice.  It is fun and an honor to see other schools perform.  It is fun and an honor to walk around competitions and see school t-shirts and wave and compliment each other.  Thank you! 

My wife was in the stands at a contest this year while I was volunteering with the band....she was wearing our school's shirt.  She overheard a parent in the row behind her making negative comments about our school...intentionally loud enough for my wife to hear.  Fortunately, my wife is a very patient and forgiving person and managed to let it flow off of her.  If I'd been there, things would have been a little different.  Nothing mean...I promise....but this person would have known my displeasure.

In an unrelated topic....we finished 2nd....their band didn't make finals.

And, for the love of things great and small.....the people who talk during performances!!!  I know the band is loud...I get it....but that doesn't mean you have to pick up the volume of your conversation. 

I yield the floor....thank you for letting me vent!!!

I am a senior Vandegrift parent. I have been shushed and had eyes rolled at me in the stands this year. NOT at BOA San Antonio but at other competitions. We had to report a parent in the stands at UIL Region for commenting loudly (negative comments) during our show and others. (do not know what school he was from if any) I did not get to meet any Avon parents in San Antonio, but that would have been nice. It is fun and an honor to see other schools perform. It is fun and an honor to walk around competitions and see school t-shirts and wave and compliment each other. Thank you!

Vandegrift was amazing this year. #2 behind CTJ on my top favorites this season. :) That flute work in the ballad....could listen to that all day long. Kudos on that bronze medal. Y'all more than deserved it this year!!

At Austin Regions this year, some CTJ students (not sure if band members or just fans) in the stands would ask other schools for kid names to yell out as bands entered the field. It was so cute and spirited. :rolleyes:

I definitely remember that. And if a parent screamed out their kid's name or some kind of shout out, the CTJ kids would immediately echo it. Good people, those CTJ kids!!

At Austin Regions this year, some CTJ students (not sure if band members or just fans) in the stands would ask other schools for kid names to yell out as bands entered the field.  It was so cute and spirited.   :rolleyes:

I suspect both band and former band. They're a fun lively, sweet group of kids. We don't go there I just know a few.

A picture of CTJ parents and students cheering on the Churchill Band during their send-off performance this evening!

That's so awesome. I am sure it was a real morale booster for the Churchill kids to have all that support and love shown to them. It's a wonderful thing when all of the district supports each other in this way.

That's so awesome. I am sure it was a real morale booster for the Churchill kids to have all that support and love shown to them. It's a wonderful thing when all of the district supports each other in this way.

We had a similar experience....a lot of our "rival" school's band members showed up at our send-off performance. 

I love having kids in band!!

I have 4 boys. We've been involved in pretty much everything, football, soccer, baseball, band....... Nothing even come close to band. These kids are so amazing and supportive. Band events are the only place I've ever seen other kids shouting out "good luck", "good show" and giving other bands high 5's. I've never seen a sports team cheering for another sports team at a competition.

A lot of the parents are the same but not all. I think it comes down to what kind of band parent you are. You are either a band parent (and you rock!!) or you're a parent with a kid in band. There's a huge difference between the two.

Band parent or have kid in band- just the perfect description!!

Second this comment.  Right now, I'm the one rushing into the stands just as our band is entering the field, for the one chance I've had all season to watch the show from anywhere but the sideline.  Then rushing out as soon as the last note fades to help push equipment.  I wouldn't miss it for the world, but I'm ALSO looking forward to the days when I'll go a contest, watch and cheer for all of the bands, and have the conversations with parents/fans in the stands.  That is, until my oldest, who is majoring in Music Ed, sucks me in as a volunteer wherever he ends up as a director.

Second this comment.  Right now, I'm the one rushing into the stands just as our band is entering the field, for the one chance I've had all season to watch the show from anywhere but the sideline.  Then rushing out as soon as the last note fades to help push equipment.  I wouldn't miss it for the world, but I'm ALSO looking forward to the days when I'll go a contest, watch and cheer for all of the bands, and have the conversations with parents/fans in the stands.  That is, until my oldest, who is majoring in Music Ed, sucks me in as a volunteer wherever he ends up as a director.

Thanks for doing Pit crew! You guys rock!  I'm also one rushing in last minute and rushing out when my band is done. I'm a lead chaperone. I have to run out and get my kids.