✧・゚: *✧・゚:*BOA San Antonio Video Countdown*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

hey y'all! long time no see! in honor of the upcoming boa san antonio contest that will feature the avon high school marching band from indiana, i have decided to upload one video a day from the year 2002, when that other indiana band came down to the lone star state. most of these videos can't already be found on youtube. i'll leave them up until friday, when the 2017 BOA San Antonio contest commences. enjoy!

DAY ONE

westfield 2002. cuz trix are for kids.

https://youtu.be/9Wx3x6Sx2fQ

I saw this show live at area (well....we couldn't see it very well from where we were waiting outside the stadium, but we could definitely hear it).  I remember sort of spacing out and then I hear this rapper come out of nowhere "Awww Westfield! Conroe UIL!....2K2!".  That was around the time the top bands were starting to try and outdo each other in concept year after year, and the concept of having "rapping" in your show was "edgy" and very controversial.  Westfield was one of the flagship bands leading that charge.  I think by 2002 I'd say only a half dozen of the bands in a 30 band area contest had sound systems in their front ensemble.  We didn't have one when I was at G-town in 2000-04 (I don't think G-town had one until 2007).  Nowadays pretty much every band has one.

I remember trying real hard to find a video of San Antonio BOA for the longest time.  When I finally did find a video (in like.....2012?), I remember sitting down for a solid hour replaying the rap section over and over trying to figure out the lyrics.  There were a few lines I still couldn't make out when all was said and done, but I still put what I had in my signature for this site for an entire season.

Anyone know the show arranger and drill designer?

I saw this live. It was absolutely mindblowing back in 2002 because it was so different and innovative. Honestly, though, what I love most is that the entire thing is just endless stylistic variations on Mvt 2 of Symphonic Metamorphosis, IMO one of the greatest pieces of music ever written.

This is also during the time when ATX area and Region 9 were all zoned to Area D. They only took 4 to state from this area that year and Westfield was 5th. The area finals that year were stacked: The Woodlands, Bowie, Westlake, Spring, Cedar Park, Leander, Georgetown... My favorite show of all of 2002 came from this year: The Woodlands show Genesis: The Creation of Color is a masterpiece.

Love both Churchill and The Woodlands. Remembering now what a magical bunch of shows from 2002! The depth of sound from Churchill's woodwinds is just stunning. And, the guard work in both groups is incredible. My favorite thing is the trombone glisses from The Woodlands - amazing! Who was Churchill's drill writer back then, because it is GREAT. Both of these shows would be very competitive in 2017. And to think, both programs headed back to Indy 15 years later with great potential for high placement.

Notes on Churchill 2002 from someone vaguely familiar:

Yes, that was me.  I'm thinking my band director typed my name in wrong and Chuck just announced what was on the sheet.  Potter announced my name like the Exxon Valdez (Vald-eeez), the oil tanker that crashed in Alaska several years ago.  I was able to tell Dan Potter about the "error" in the elevator at Grand Nationals.  He apologized and we laughed about it.

We actually had a few people write our drill that year.  We reached out to Kevin Ford (Tarpon Springs H.S. Director) to write our opener because we had issues with the original drill writer during the Summer.  A few people on our staff, including our Colorguard Director Mike Sloan, wrote the rest of it.  

I cannot even begin to tell you what an honor it was to work with Mike Sloan during my High School marching career.  He would let me hang out during his guard only rehearsals and holy crap, those were some of the most intense rehearsals I have ever experienced.  He loved all his guard people so much.  He taught and instructed with a ridiculous amount of energy.  My only goal was to match his passion for the activity.  Sloan was a big influence when I was Drum Major my Senior year.  As you could probably tell from the video, I was quite animated on the podium.  Sometimes, that got me in some trouble with the directors.  Every time that would happen, Sloan would pull me aside after the rehearsal and say, "Keep up the energy.  You're doing great."  His encouragement and trust helped me become a better performer.

He visited Txbands.com often, even if he never created a username.  Whenever I would see him, he would ask what we thought of the work he did with programs that were competing.  Every year, he would sit in the Director's Viewing Area at San Antonio, find the Txbands.com crew and shout out, "Please be nice to us!!!!!!"

Mike Sloan passed away this past Wednesday.  There are so many stories and wonderful anecdotes that I could tell about this man that would easily take up all of the YouTube bandwidth.  It will be very difficult to not see his face this weekend at the Super Regional.  I think I speak for everyone he instructed when I say that the impression he left us with will last forever.  I miss you, Sloan.  I promise to keep the energy up.      

Wow that's so sad. I'm sorry about that and I didn't even know that he had died. One of my closest friends goes to Churchill (not in band anymore) and he didn't say anything about it.

Sloan hadn't worked with the Churchill program for several years.  He did some work with Richland and Keller Central more recently.

Yes, that was me. I'm thinking my band director typed my name in wrong and Chuck just announced what was on the sheet. Potter announced my name like the Exxon Valdez (Vald-eeez), the oil tanker that crashed in Alaska several years ago. I was able to tell Dan Potter about the "error" in the elevator at Grand Nationals. He apologized and we laughed about it.

We actually had a few people write our drill that year. We reached out to Kevin Ford (Tarpon Springs H.S. Director) to write our opener because we had issues with the original drill writer during the Summer. A few people on our staff, including our Colorguard Director Mike Sloan, wrote the rest of it.

I cannot even begin to tell you what an honor it was to work with Mike Sloan during my High School marching career. He would let me hang out during his guard only rehearsals and holy crap, those were some of the most intense rehearsals I have ever experienced. He loved all his guard people so much. He taught and instructed with a ridiculous amount of energy. My only goal was to match his passion for the activity. Sloan was a big influence when I was Drum Major my Senior year. As you could probably tell from the video, I was quite animated on the podium. Sometimes, that got me in some trouble with the directors. Every time that would happen, Sloan would pull me aside after the rehearsal and say, "Keep up the energy. You're doing great." His encouragement and trust helped me become a better performer.

He visited Txbands.com often, even if he never created a username. Whenever I would see him, he would ask what we thought of the work he did with programs that were competing. Every year, he would sit in the Director's Viewing Area at San Antonio, find the Txbands.com crew and shout out, "Please be nice to us!!!!!!"

Mike Sloan passed away this past Wednesday. There are so many stories and wonderful anecdotes that I could tell about this man that would easily take up all of the YouTube bandwidth. It will be very difficult to not see his face this weekend at the Super Regional. I think I speak for everyone he instructed when I say that the impression he left us with will last forever. I miss you, Sloan. I promise to keep the energy up.

That's powerful stuff right there. I can only imagine what a massive impact he must have had on your high school band career. And on many others over the years, I'm sure. It definitely helps explain a portion of your enthusiasm and love for marching band. Keep up the good work. I'm sure Mr. Sloan was very very proud to have known you, and you him. I'm so sorry for your loss, Daniel.

Westfield 2002:

I saw this show at San Antonio Finals from the right-side endzone.  They went on a few programs after us.  What I remember most about this show, aside from the rap/break dance, is the amount of support they received from their fellow band friends.  Spring and Westfield are in the same district and are rivals in pretty much every extra curricular activity.  Spring missed Finals that year so they were watching from the stands.  To say that the Spring band went absolutely crazy for Westfield during the rap was an understatement.  Spring kids were dancing in the aisles and screaming their heads off in support of their district rivals.  I thought that was such a cool thing to do.

Yes, that was me.  I'm thinking my band director typed my name in wrong and Chuck just announced what was on the sheet.  Potter announced my name like the Exxon Valdez (Vald-eeez), the oil tanker that crashed in Alaska several years ago.  I was able to tell Dan Potter about the "error" in the elevator at Grand Nationals.  He apologized and we laughed about it.

We actually had a few people write our drill that year.  We reached out to Kevin Ford (Tarpon Springs H.S. Director) to write our opener because we had issues with the original drill writer during the Summer.  A few people on our staff, including our Colorguard Director Mike Sloan, wrote the rest of it.  

I cannot even begin to tell you what an honor it was to work with Mike Sloan during my High School marching career.  He would let me hang out during his guard only rehearsals and holy crap, those were some of the most intense rehearsals I have ever experienced.  He loved all his guard people so much.  He taught and instructed with a ridiculous amount of energy.  My only goal was to match his passion for the activity.  Sloan was a big influence when I was Drum Major my Senior year.  As you could probably tell from the video, I was quite animated on the podium.  Sometimes, that got me in some trouble with the directors.  Every time that would happen, Sloan would pull me aside after the rehearsal and say, "Keep up the energy.  You're doing great."  His encouragement and trust helped me become a better performer.

He visited Txbands.com often, even if he never created a username.  Whenever I would see him, he would ask what we thought of the work he did with programs that were competing.  Every year, he would sit in the Director's Viewing Area at San Antonio, find the Txbands.com crew and shout out, "Please be nice to us!!!!!!"

Mike Sloan passed away this past Wednesday.  There are so many stories and wonderful anecdotes that I could tell about this man that would easily take up all of the YouTube bandwidth.  It will be very difficult to not see his face this weekend at the Super Regional.  I think I speak for everyone he instructed when I say that the impression he left us with will last forever.  I miss you, Sloan.  I promise to keep the energy up.  

i'm sorry to hear that! watching the churchill guard was always something we looked forward to. they were peerless in texas!

funny you mention your conducting. i was watching the retreat from 2002 and the video montage ends with you right before the fireworks erupt. ill have to post it later!

DAY TWO

winston churchill 2002. the musical world of anime, featuring danielle valdez.

https://youtu.be/DKZa0xzYAQw

That show would do very well even today. And one can't help but wonder if it was THIS show that inspired the Bluecoats Gold winning show of 2016!

Great job Danielle. ;) But seriously, GREAT JOB!

hey y'all! long time no see! in honor of the upcoming boa san antonio contest that will feature the avon high school marching band from indiana, i have decided to upload one video a day from the year 2002, when that other indiana band came down to the lone star state. most of these videos can't already be found on youtube. i'll leave them up until friday, when the 2017 BOA San Antonio contest commences. enjoy!

DAY ONE

westfield 2002. cuz trix are for kids.

https://youtu.be/9Wx3x6Sx2fQ

OK that was too cool with the rapper. And that band could GET DOWN! :D

Was just looking at the BOA results for that year and noticed Gary Markham was the chief judge way back then too. That man has been doing that gig for a LONG time!!

i'm sorry to hear that! watching the churchill guard was always something we looked forward to. they were peerless in texas!

funny you mention your conducting. i was watching the retreat from 2002 and the video montage ends with you right before the fireworks erupt. ill have to post it later!

When I saw myself, I was super happy.  When the fireworks went off immediately after that, I was high-fiving everyone in sight.  I am beyond lucky.