I love this activity to death, it's one of my biggest passions, but one has to remind themselves that it really is just.......Marching Band...... The whole reason marching band has such a hold on my life is because it's fun, to say the least, and part of that fun is the competition. In fact that's what got me hooked. I don't really see anything wrong with sites like hornrank putting the "competition" into perspective, it's all part of the fun. As long as you take whatever anyone says with a grain of salt there really isn't any problem. I feel like a lot of what I love about this activity is forgotten though, in forums and comment sections like this, people just need to remember the fun involved with the art. I really don't think there's anything wrong with hornrank, but the day we turn marching band into football is the day we loose the soul of this activity.

Now that is just breathless silliness Rubisco. Your Woodlands did great on Conroe. The show should be great by the time it gets to SA and Nats. I am pulling for them.

Oh, my sides! Actually, my comment suggested nothing of the sort, but I suppose I wouldn’t expect strong reading skills from an abecedarian.

If you think Rubisco is biased to the Woodlands, you're forgetting him or weren't here in 2013. Which was 100% deserved.

Truthfully, I think this over-the-top debate over band rankings was all in Jeremiah's plan. Probably just laughing at everyone from his computer, to be honest. Lol

What's that joker quote from The Dark Knight? "it's all.... part...... of the plan"

while some see no value in the HornRank national rankings - they remain a highlight of my season - for those that may never make it to GNats, they mean alot

this weeks results that impact the top 10 as I see it - welcome your thoughts

#2           FlowerMound                  1stover Hebron                 PEMI - Non-BOA              

#3           CTJohnson                     1stat Midland                    BOA Regional     - 90.20

#4           Hebron                            2nd to FloMo                     PEMI - Non-BOA

#7           Vandegrift                        2ndi n TMC to RR             TMC - Non-BOA –88.23

#9           Reagan                           1st over Vgrift                    TMC - Non-BOA – 88.63

San Antonio will be a huge show this year (yes we say that every year)

The judges' responsibility is to rank the best bands at Grand Nats. It's our responsibility to rank the best bands in the nation. Unfortunately, because many of the best bands in the nation don't attend Grand Nats, those two aren't identical.

As someone who saw every single band in the rankings in person at least twice last season (I think Christopher Drake is the only other person in the world who can say that), there are three bands who would have beaten Carmel at Grand Nats. And the numbers management that produced would have likely given Avon the higher score as well.

That is pure supposition. There is no support for that statement. You have no idea how the band would have performed under pressure at that event. Each show is different, each competition is different; a great band may have a great run at prelims and then turn around and not perform as well in finals. So, to say that three bands that didn't attend Grand Nationals would have beaten Carmel or Avon (I believe last season was a tie and should have remained that way), is speculation only.

That is pure supposition. There is no support for that statement. You have no idea how the band would have performed under pressure at that event. Each show is different, each competition is different; a great band may have a great run at prelims and then turn around and not perform as well in finals. So, to say that three bands that didn't attend Grand Nationals would have beaten Carmel or Avon (I believe last season was a tie and should have remained that way), is speculation only.

Couldn’t agree more.  When Round Rock went to Grand Nats the first time and received  4th place– some  negative comments that came out  “IF “so and so band” was there – they would have beat them.    SMH….All you can say is  …. YOU WILL NEVER KNOW, NOW WILL YOU?   All the “what if’s” were just “Charlie Brown” wha wha wha wha - doesn’t make a hill of beans if you band doesn’t go. .  The chips fall where they fall and nothing should be taken away from a band that does well for whatever reason – it may be their best run ever. Many bands peak at Nationals - espcially Texas Bands.  To a major degree,Judging is subjective – if they like you… they like you

Obviously you’re responding to a particular part of Jeremiah’s post, but to address the broader issue of HornRank vs. Nationals:

I would agree with what you’ve said if the HornRank rankings were meant to be Grand Nationals predictions, but that’s not exactly what they are, despite considerable overlap. If Grand Nationals is the Oscars of the band world, then HornRank is more like the critics’ Sight and Sound poll that the British Film Institute does every year. It’s feasible that the group that comes out on top in one might not come out on top in the other. The opinions of the people polled for HornRank may not even match the placements of the groups that went to Nationals. Certainly, if I were polled last year, I would have had Avon ahead of Carmel, despite the fact that Carmel was named the National Champion. So, while a Grand Nationals prediction based on HornRank would be speculative, I would prefer to view HornRank as its own thing.

Obviously you’re responding to a particular part of Jeremiah’s post, but to address the broader issue of HornRank vs. Nationals:

I would agree with what you’ve said if the HornRank rankings were meant to be Grand Nationals predictions, but that’s not exactly what they are, despite considerable overlap. If Grand Nationals is the Oscars of the band world, then HornRank is more like the critics’ Sight and Sound poll that the British Film Institute does every year. It’s feasible that the group that comes out on top in one might not come out on top in the other. The opinions of the people polled for HornRank may not even match the placements of the groups that went to Nationals. Certainly, if I were polled last year, I would have had Avon ahead of Carmel, despite the fact that Carmel was named the National Champion. So, while a Grand Nationals prediction based on HornRank would be speculative, I would prefer to view HornRank as its own thing.

Polls are great for fans to gobble up and use to prop up whatever activity they cheer for. I have no issue with that. I have an issue for anyone to make statements that can not be proven or statements based purely on opinion. For example, I consider Jordan the greatest to ever play the game. I base my opinion on his accomplishments along with personal observation of his play. Well, individuals who are my senior can argue for Bill Russell, Oscar Robinson, Kareem, Bird, etc. Individuals younger than me can argue LBJ is the greatest. It is all subjective with some facts thrown in to make it look better. But, there really isn't any way to make that call. Same goes for the Bulls would be Golden State or Mayweather is greater than Ali. Just no way to prove the point. HornRank is nice but stating one band is better than another when there is zero head to head match is available is a reach. Too many variables.