3A, 2A, and 1A State

These kids work hard

I agree.

These divisions keep getting better and more talented every year!

I do not agree.  I won't get into detail at risk of sounding overly negative, but I blame urbanization more than I could blame the kids themselves.

I do think class 4A is staying about the same, if not slowly improving like 5A and 6A are.

I agree.

I do not agree. I won't get into detail at risk of sounding overly negative, but I blame urbanization more than I could blame the kids themselves.

I do think class 4A is staying about the same, if not slowly improving like 5A and 6A are.

I respect your take on the subject, but I must counter it. If you watch the top groups from 2009 and compare them to the top in 2015 you'll notice groups in 2009 were just trying to play as loud as possible where as groups in 2015 are starting to play with a fuller tone quality. Also the drill being done now is a lot tougher than it was in the past few years along with that harder shows are being done. But, that is just my take on it.

I’ve been a part of both a 2A band and I graduated when I was in a 5A band, and I can vouch and say that there is a massive skill gap between the large and small school classifications, it’s not a knock against small school’s, they just have less resources.

I highly understand that, but I did not say they were as good as the higher classifications. I said that where they were 3 to 5 years ago, they have improved.

• 4 weeks later...

I respect your take on the subject, but I must counter it. If you watch the top groups from 2009 and compare them to the top in 2015 you'll notice groups in 2009 were just trying to play as loud as possible where as groups in 2015 are starting to play with a fuller tone quality. Also the drill being done now is a lot tougher than it was in the past few years along with that harder shows are being done. But, that is just my take on it.

Just saw this thread. I agree with you in that smaller bands have shifted from being as loud as possible to appreciating tone.

m87dPib.jpg

Looks like Queen City beat Whitesboro at the sounds of the fall classic, I've seen a lot else of 3A also and these bands mean business this year.

I have heard the same, I've seen Cameron Yoe, Jourdanton, and Teague they are putting out great shows. Yoe has a tremendous sound, definitely one of the bests I've heard so far this year.

I have heard the same, I've seen Cameron Yoe, Jourdanton, and Teague they are putting out great shows. Yoe has a tremendous sound, definitely one of the bests I've heard so far this year.

3A state is certainly going to be tougher than it's been in years, for once it actually seems like there isn't a particular band dominating for first like QC did for several years and Whitesboro has these past 2 state years, it's actually going to be a real fight for first and definitely a fight for any top spot whatsoever.  

3A state is certainly going to be tougher than it's been in years, for once it actually seems like there isn't a particular band dominating for first like QC did for several years and Whitesboro has these past 2 state years, it's actually going to be a real fight for first and definitely a fight for any top spot whatsoever.

I have noticed the same! It is very up in the air!

m87dPib.jpg

Looks like Queen City beat Whitesboro at the sounds of the fall classic, I've seen a lot else of 3A also and these bands mean business this year.

It's anyone's game this year. 3a bands are evolving in competitiveness. I expect a major shift in the typical state finalists list with bands like Sunnyvale scoring higher.