2017 State Marching Contest (1A,2A,3A,5A)

• 2 weeks later...

This years Prosper Band is like nothing ever before seen. I had the privilege of seeing their show at HEB and I am at a complete loss for words! I would put them up there with Hebron and I wouldn’t be surprised if they took the state title this year. Definitely a Grand Nationals finalist and possibly even top 5.

Sarcasm?

Take into account the show you saw last year and multiply it by A HUNDRED. The Prosper band is definitely a force to be reckoned with this year. Completely incomparable to last years sound!! I was simply AWESTRUCK watching their performance this past weekend at Region. And was pleasantly surprised to learn they took the champion title at the HEB!

It seems they are trying very hard to keep everything under wraps. Zero videos of this years show online. Hardly any indication that anything has changed! My guess is they are planning a brutal sneak attack for Grand Nationals.

I am more than confident they will continue to amaze people this season.. The Prosper band is reborn like something never before seen.

Yes, I saw Prosper at HEB. They continue to improve. They have a legitimate shot at top 3 for UIL state, and perhaps they even have a shot at the top half of semi-finals at GN.

I am unsure about Cedar Park this year. I can't put my finger on any one thing, but they seem to have lost some of their pizzazz. They will certainly continue cleaning and do very well, but I'm on the fence with them this year.

I agree. Their shows from years prior have a "thing" that's missing this year if you will. Can't put my finger on it.

The only bands in a position to topple CP are Waxahachie and Richland. Maybe Prosper as well. But the chances of that happening are very low. Richland was probably in the best position to do so coming into this season, but they didn't come out of the gate all that hot. As a result, it's hard to say how close (or far) they would end up from CP. Waxahachie has a chance to snag a music judge or two from CP if they are as polished late season this year as they were last; they did it to Keller at DMI last year. It's hard to tell where Prosper is at. It's clear they're good, but how good is that compared to the other three? The most surprising thing I could realistically see them doing is taking 2nd place.

EDIT: "But the the chances of that happening are very low" should read as "But the chances of CP being toppled are very low."

Which ever way Richland finishes Im so proud of this band, directors, Boosters, and family for turning this program, around quickly. They may not take first but to be talked about and mentioned in discussions around the band world brings joy to me.

I can not agree more!! Richland has had some rough years recently and they have been doing so well these past 2 seasons! Awesome work Richland!

The 1A State Prelims Schedule is available: http://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/1A_Schedule.pdf

Monday, November 6, 2017

8:00 - Ropes

8:14 - Rotan

8:28 - Nueces Canyon

8:42 - White Deer

8:56 - Bronte

9:10 - Santa Anna

9:24 - Booker

Break

9:52 - Whiteface

10:06 - Cross Plains

10:20 - Springlake-Earth

10:34 - Water Valley

10:48 - May

11:02 - Eden

11:16 - Throckmorton

11:30 - Exhibition - University of the Incarnate Word

1:15 - Finals Opening Ceremony

1:30 - 1st of 7 Finalist bands

I'm *really* exited for this contest. At this point anything could happen, so ill just throw out my predictions.

1.Cedar Park

2.Dripping Springs

3.Wakeland

4.Richland

5.Waxahachie

6.Prosper

- Dripping Spring's area performance was phenomenal, but I'm still giving Cedar park the edge. This sort of situation has happened before, but CP always tends to come out on top

- Although not as clean as Richland's show, Wakeland's show seems to be a bit more challenging that Richland's. They are both phenomenal in music, and I love Richland's sound, but I still think Wakeland will take      bronze.

- Waxahachie beat Wakeland at BOA Southlake, but only by a small margin. I feel like with the amount of improvement bands like Richland and Wakeland have made are enough to push them ahead.

- Prosper is really good this year, but I don't think they're ready to compete with some of the other bands. Also, with their trip to Grand Nats this year, I feel like their show is a bit more BOA focused.

Take these predictions with a grain of salt. I really believe any of these bands could medal, or even take the gold.