2017 State Marching Contest (1A,2A,3A,5A)

You guys, I'm not going to say it's impossible that Richland take the championship, but I think it's way too early to make a judgment call on whether that's a realistic possibility. I've seen Richland a few times this year, and they are comparable in potential to last year, especially since they have a longer season this time. So, I think they have a very good shot at placing 2nd. But if Waxahachie or Prosper (or both) continue to step up their game this year, then maybe Richland will have some potential rivals for the silver. We'll see what happens.

I think this will be a very good contest with a lot of good bands in finals. Making the top 5 at this contest would be a real achievement. I know that Leander, Vista Ridge, and Vandegrift moved up, but maybe we should consider that this does not make this contest easy. Just off the top of my head, rough-and-ready with much potential to change, thinking about "tiers" for finals:

Tier 1

Cedar Park

T2

Richland

T3

Waxahachie

Prosper

Dripping Springs

T4

Wakeland

Aledo

Centennial

Southwest

T5 (I'm not as sure who would go here. Also, I'm not sure if finals will be top 10 or more than that. Someone let me know.)

McKinney?

Birdville?

Forney?

Lot's of exchange between those tiers could possibly happen. A slim chance -- at this point, anyway -- that either Richland or Waxahachie push Cedar Park out of first. More of a chance for swapping, I think, between Richland, Waxahachie, or Prosper. If Wakeland, Centennial, or Aledo has a really good year, maybe they could jump up to spar more directly with Dripping Springs, Prosper, or Waxahachie. Aledo tends to make those surprising jumps, but it tends to be early season that it happens. I would give Wakeland more of a shot for moving up. If I've seen Southwest, it's been a few years so I can't comment. Same for Forney. McKinney I've already mentioned on another thread; they have the power under the hood, but to my non-college-trained ears, there are consistency and cohesiveness issues. Birdville is kind of a foil to McKinney in that respect: few stick-outs, musically consistent, polished and respectable, but sometimes we're left wanting a bit more impact.

I'm not sure about Prosper being that high. Everyone is predicting they will move up, but to Tier 3? Has anyone seen their show this year? I saw the show last year. It was good, but I'm not sure there is any indication of them being able to pass up others. If someone who has seen their show could provide feedback, I'd be more willing to buy into this prediction.

I believe the moment Leander and Vandegrift went to 6A, 5As fate was sealed, Cedar Park all the way. As for 3A you've got your usuals Whitesboro, Cameron and a strong Mineola group, but look out for Jourdanton who just came off of a TMEA State Honor band title. 2A, you have the war between Sundown and New Deal, but keep an eye out for Kerens. 1A is practically anyone's game.

I'm not sure about Prosper being that high. Everyone is predicting they will move up, but to Tier 3? Has anyone seen their show this year? I saw the show last year. It was good, but I'm not sure there is any indication of them being able to pass up others. If someone who has seen their show could provide feedback, I'd be more willing to buy into this prediction.

People's expectations about Prosper have mostly come from their ability to compete with or be within striking range of Waxahachie last year at the BISD festival and, if I remember correctly, BOA Plano. You're right, there's not any indication from this season of whether they're at the same level as they were last season. But I think many people are expecting that they will be at that level because John Alstrin was hired on as head director -- which was the cause of their growth last year.

We'll see what develops though; you may very well be right.

Though I feel Richland has turned a corner toward the upside im not quite ready to have them overtake Cedar Park. They have a great show but they also have a lot of young members that are growing up quickly. By the time UIL comes up I expect them to be peaking at the right time. If they can put this together like last years show I do have them making State and even will place them in the top 10 but as far as medaling they will have to have the best performance they have ever done to have a chance to possibly overtake Cedar Park. They have a culture of a winning performance and believing they will win. Richland is moving in the right direction in building a winning culture again, but I like the direction. 

I believe the moment Leander and Vandegrift went to 6A, 5As fate was sealed, Cedar Park all the way. As for 3A you've got your usuals Whitesboro, Cameron and a strong Mineola group, but look out for Jourdanton who just came off of a TMEA State Honor band title. 2A, you have the war between Sundown and New Deal, but keep an eye out for Kerens. 1A is practically anyone's game.

I agree. Cedar Park is going to kill it this year.

You guys, I'm not going to say it's impossible that Richland take the championship, but I think it's way too early to make a judgment call on whether that's a realistic possibility. I've seen Richland a few times this year, and they are comparable in potential to last year, especially since they have a longer season this time. So, I think they have a very good shot at placing 2nd. But if Waxahachie or Prosper (or both) continue to step up their game this year, then maybe Richland will have some potential rivals for the silver. We'll see what happens.

I think this will be a very good contest with a lot of good bands in finals. Making the top 5 at this contest would be a real achievement. I know that Leander, Vista Ridge, and Vandegrift moved up, but maybe we should consider that this does not make this contest easy. Just off the top of my head, rough-and-ready with much potential to change, thinking about "tiers" for finals:

Tier 1

Cedar Park

T2

Richland

T3

Waxahachie

Prosper

Dripping Springs

T4

Wakeland

Aledo

Centennial

Southwest

T5 (I'm not as sure who would go here. Also, I'm not sure if finals will be top 10 or more than that. Someone let me know.)

McKinney?

Birdville?

Forney?

Lot's of exchange between those tiers could possibly happen. A slim chance -- at this point, anyway -- that either Richland or Waxahachie push Cedar Park out of first. More of a chance for swapping, I think, between Richland, Waxahachie, or Prosper. If Wakeland, Centennial, or Aledo has a really good year, maybe they could jump up to spar more directly with Dripping Springs, Prosper, or Waxahachie. Aledo tends to make those surprising jumps, but it tends to be early season that it happens. I would give Wakeland more of a shot for moving up. If I've seen Southwest, it's been a few years so I can't comment. Same for Forney. McKinney I've already mentioned on another thread; they have the power under the hood, but to my non-college-trained ears, there are consistency and cohesiveness issues. Birdville is kind of a foil to McKinney in that respect: few stick-outs, musically consistent, polished and respectable, but sometimes we're left wanting a bit more impact.

lake ridge and summit?? both mansfield bands are definitely on the come up this year. i can see both advancing to state in the area b marching contest this year along with wakeland, frisco centennial, and southwest.

lake ridge and summit?? both mansfield bands are definitely on the come up this year. i can see both advancing to state in the area b marching contest this year along with wakeland, frisco centennial, and southwest.

I'm sure both bands have a great season ahead of them. Lake Ridge could very well make finals, since they beat Forney last night. Summit, I'm not sure yet because I haven't seen them.

I'm sure both bands have a great season ahead of them. Lake Ridge could very well make finals, since they beat Forney last night. Summit, I'm not sure yet because I haven't seen them.

I saw summit this weekend at boa, and let me tell you, they can play. They have a few things to work out visually, but musically they were phenomenal.