Hurricane Harvey

CFISD, as I'm sure many districts in Houston will, has just announced they are closed for the week. That's going to severely hurt bands like Cy-Fair

It's going to affect San Antonio and Austin area bands as well. No practice for awhile. The Dallas bands will definitely have an advantage come BOA time. But none of that is ultimately truly important. Let's pray for Houston right now and all of the surrounding affected areas. It's bad down here.

It's going to affect San Antonio and Austin area bands as well. No practice for awhile. The Dallas bands will definitely have an advantage come BOA time. But none of that is ultimately truly important. Let's pray for Houston right now and all of the surrounding affected areas. It's bad down here.

It is awful. I didn't mean as that's the most important, just a sidenote. Cleanup is going to take a while. Keep Houston in your prayers.

I think I speak for everyone when I say I hope everyone has stayed safe and is still staying safe with all of the flooding and destruction, I have some friends who teach down there and it sounds like an absolute mess.  It might have put them all behind but as long as everyone is okay and they're doing what has to be done to ensure safety for the students that can go on the back burner.  

SA bands will be fine. The skies actually cleared quite a bit here today for a while. I saw the sun.

• 2 weeks later...

Missed about a week of focused rehearsal. It was rough for most of everyone in the area.

Our kids missed their regularly scheduled practices during the week school was out, but UIL allowed schools to have athletic and band practices at the discretion of local school administration (this info is all at http://www.uiltexas.org/athletics/hurricane-harvey for those curious). Our administration allowed practices, so they were back with sectionals on Thursday and Friday while school was out, and did a summer-band like day on Saturday to make up the drill time. So in essence our kids didn't miss any time, but did have about a week between drill sessions, so their cadence was messed up a bit.

Our kids missed their regularly scheduled practices during the week school was out, but UIL allowed schools to have athletic and band practices at the discretion of local school administration (this info is all at http://www.uiltexas.org/athletics/hurricane-harvey for those curious). Our administration allowed practices, so they were back with sectionals on Thursday and Friday while school was out, and did a summer-band like day on Saturday to make up the drill time. So in essence our kids didn't miss any time, but did have about a week between drill sessions, so their cadence was messed up a bit.

That's great! I'm sure the Woodlands won't miss a beat come time for competition. ;-)