#21 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

Oh my goodness, and I thought that *I* had it bad....I just happened upon this story about a 52 year old woman who is "still" in her college marching band after all these years, and it made me feel a LITTLE bit better about myself.   :lol:

#22 Bandwoww

Bandwoww

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

Question for anyone to answer: How nerve racking it is to watch your child perform? Especially at places like SA and Nats where finals is not guaranteed.

#23 TWHSParent

TWHSParent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:35 PM

I don't find the performance nerve wracking - I find the awards announcements nerve wracking. You never know what that particular set of judges think of your show that particular day. I find the shows fun to watch, and I try to sit back and just enjoy what is presented while doing a little critical viewing of each.

#24 Rudedog34

Rudedog34

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:44 PM

I don't find the performance nerve wracking - I find the awards announcements nerve wracking. You never know what that particular set of judges think of your show that particular day. I find the shows fun to watch, and I try to sit back and just enjoy what is presented while doing a little critical viewing of each.

Agreed. The performance itself (barring anything goes drastically wrong) is exciting, but not nerve wracking. I try to get there early and catch as many shows as I can. I know all those kids have worked their tail off to produce the best product they can for their directors, the judges, family and the fans. Deep down inside them they are entertainers. The hear and see the reaction of the crowd and fellow competators. They know when they have success. I'm there for my kid, our band family and I'm a fan of all, so the perfomnces are enjoyable.

Awards...that's nerve wracking.

#25 SamuelCulper

SamuelCulper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

I would only find the performance nerve wracking if my kid were in the guard and making big tosses they needed to catch.

Agreed on the awards being way more nervy.

#26 Bandwoww

Bandwoww

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the replies. I guess that’s a good thing that the actual performances aren’t nerve wracking. As a performer myself, the actual show is infinitely easier than having to sit through the awards presentation. The second I hear chuck Henson’s voice, my heart starts to race a million miles a second lol!

#27 Mash

Mash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:09 AM

Visit the shows that are local and wait for my youngest to graduate middle school and join the big band.  He can't wait to wear the super suit.

#28 jenros

jenros

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 06:41 PM

Not sure what my husband and I will do.  Our Vandegrift band son graduates this year.  Gonna be weird, that is for sure.   ^_^

#29 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

Not sure what my husband and I will do. Our Vandegrift band son graduates this year. Gonna be weird, that is for sure. ^_^

It's an adjustment for sure! But my now graduated band kid is only a short distance away at Texas State, and so we are able to attend all of the competitions together now. It's been a great bonding experience for us!!

#30 banddad84

banddad84

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • LocationCanyon Lake TX

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:38 PM

It's an adjustment for sure! But my now graduated band kid is only a short distance away at Texas State, and so we are able to attend all of the competitions together now. It's been a great bonding experience for us!!

Visit the shows that are local and wait for my youngest to graduate middle school and join the big band.  He can't wait to wear the super suit.

we still go to the shows - our oldest graduated 3 years ago - now we all attend together while we wait for our youngest to decide if he wants to do band or football - I think he is leaning towards band - we traveled to most of the Texas shows this year - we try to stay involved with our alumni group and still try to support the band when we can. But even as alumni it is still nerve wracking to watch - my daughter cried after Saturdays shows.

I still sponsor the sweepstakes trophies every year for my alma mater in CA that hosts a band review every year. - we occasionally make the trip out to present the awards (when it does not fall on BOA SA weekend)

I don't plan to every stop watching or supporting the marching arts - Go Band!!

#31 LeanderMomma

LeanderMomma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, TX

Posted 06 November 2017 - 11:51 PM

we still go to the shows - our oldest graduated 3 years ago - now we all attend together while we wait for our youngest to decide if he wants to do band or football - I think he is leaning towards band - we traveled to most of the Texas shows this year - we try to stay involved with our alumni group and still try to support the band when we can. But even as alumni it is still nerve wracking to watch - my daughter cried after Saturdays shows.
I still sponsor the sweepstakes trophies every year for my alma mater in CA that hosts a band review every year. - we occasionally make the trip out to present the awards (when it does not fall on BOA SA weekend)
I don't plan to every stop watching or supporting the marching arts - Go Band!!

That's really great. Thank you for sharing that info!! I'm so glad to know that there are others in my same shoes that still follow the bands so closely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users