I grew up in Houston area, I fondly remember the reign of Spring and Westfield. Houston kind of taken it on the head from DFW and central Texas other than North Shore and The Woodlands. Cry Fair and Pearland both received top 20 spots at boa SA so hopefully southeast Texas is on the way back up:). Hurricane Harvey admittedly set the area back this year, I hope Houston area gets back in the groove

I grew up in Houston area, I fondly remember the reign of Spring and Westfield. Houston kind of taken it on the head from DFW and central Texas other than North Shore and The Woodlands. Cry Fair and Pearland both received top 20 spots at boa SA so hopefully southeast Texas is on the way back up:). Hurricane Harvey admittedly set the area back this year, I hope Houston area gets back in the groove

Here are the BOA San Antonio Results from 2015 to now. Interesting seeing bands rise and fall as the years have gone by. More Houston area bands are finding themselves in the 20s. Hopefully within the next three years, those ranks will keep improving.

Takeaways.

Cy Fair has definitely established itself in these past three years.

Any idea what happened to Friendswood?

Pearland and Seven Lakes are two bands on the rise. 

I want to see Cypress Falls attend this competition more.

I also would love to see schools like Clements compete at a regional or super regional. I feel like they haven't gone to a BOA event since Atlanta in 2015.

BOA SA 2015:

Friendswood: 15

Cy Fair: 17

Brazoswood: 19

Oak Ridge: 21

Spring: 27

Katy: 29

Seven Lakes: 33

BOA SA 2016:

Cypress Falls: 14

Oak Ridge: 17

Friendswood: 25

Pearland: 28

Obra. D. Tompkins: 37

Katy: 40

BOA SA 2017:

Pearland: 17

Cy Fair: 20

Seven Lakes: 23

Oak Ridge: 26

Clear Brook: 27

Friendswood: 28

Obra. D. Tompkins: 36

Brazoswood: 38

Katy: 44

SFA still won Friendswood Marching Contest, so I am surprised about hearing director issues. I will admit I did not hear a lot about Cy Falls this year. Any idea what happened?

They did but came in lower at Lone Star Preview:

Place
Band
Cy-Fair High School
North Shore High School
Clear Brook High School
Friendswood High School
Brazoswood High School
Dawson High School
Oak Ridge High School
Stephen F. Austin High School
College Park High School
Westfield High School

Here are the BOA San Antonio Results from 2015 to now. Interesting seeing bands rise and fall as the years have gone by. More Houston area bands are finding themselves in the 20s. Hopefully within the next three years, those ranks will keep improving.

Takeaways.

Cy Fair has definitely established itself in these past three years.

Any idea what happened to Friendswood?

Pearland and Seven Lakes are two bands on the rise. 

I want to see Cypress Falls attend this competition more.

I also would love to see schools like Clements compete at a regional or super regional. I feel like they haven't gone to a BOA event since Atlanta in 2015.

BOA SA 2015:

Friendswood: 15

Cy Fair: 17

Brazoswood: 19

Oak Ridge: 21

Spring: 27

Katy: 29

Seven Lakes: 33

BOA SA 2016:

Cypress Falls: 14

Oak Ridge: 17

Friendswood: 25

Pearland: 28

Obra. D. Tompkins: 37

Katy: 40

BOA SA 2017:

Pearland: 17

Cy Fair: 20

Seven Lakes: 23

Oak Ridge: 26

Clear Brook: 27

Friendswood: 28

Obra. D. Tompkins: 36

Brazoswood: 38

Katy: 44

Friendswood's score this year was higher than 2015 when they came in at 15. 

2015: 83.20     4th in class

2017: 84.95     4th in class

They did but came in lower at Lone Star Preview:

Place

Band

Cy-Fair High School

North Shore High School

Clear Brook High School

Friendswood High School

Brazoswood High School

Dawson High School

Oak Ridge High School

Stephen F. Austin High School

College Park High School

Westfield High School

They had a very rough time this season due to a director change. it may be a while before there back on their feet.

Clements had a good season this year, placing about 10 points above Tomball Memorial at the Katy marching invitational

1. Clements 94.75 

2. Tomball Memorial 85.85 

3. Cy Woods 85.10 

4. Clear Falls 84.4 

5. Kempner 81.65 

6. Tomball 78.95 

7. George Ranch 75.05 

8. Magnolia 74.6 

9. Shadow Creek 71 

Bryan (Did not Perform)

And then being barely beat by Pearland at the Sam Houston marching contest by .8 points in prelims and 1.2 points in finals if my numbers are correct, and an almost 5 point difference between Clements and Langham Creek who placed 3rd

I have a friend from SFA who told me they got a new director this year. A lot of students quit band as well, which I’m sure set them back even more since their band is already small.

From what I have heard, Cy Falls competes more out-of-state because they know they can place higher at those competitions (the St. Louis and Atlanta regionals are not nearly as competitive throughout as the San Antonio regional). They know they can make finals at those competitions, which is a good experience for the performers, and you can’t blame them for wanting to do well. Not sure if this is 100% accurate though- like I said, it’s just what I have heard.

On any other year I believe Cy Falls would have made it into St. Louis finals, but Hurricane Harvey and their director change (who moved to Bridgeland HS) set them back a bit.

I have a friend from SFA who told me they got a new director this year. A lot of students quit band as well, which I’m sure set them back even more since their band is already small.

From what I have heard, Cy Falls competes more out-of-state because they know they can place higher at those competitions (the St. Louis and Atlanta regionals are not nearly as competitive throughout as the San Antonio regional). They know they can make finals at those competitions, which is a good experience for the performers, and you can’t blame them for wanting to do well. Not sure if this is 100% accurate though- like I said, it’s just what I have heard.

On any other year I believe Cy Falls would have made it into St. Louis finals, but Hurricane Harvey and their director change (who moved to Bridgeland HS) set them back a bit.

They have really been struggling with numbers lately as fine arts just haven't been as focused on in that area, and there are shrinking retention rates between middle school and high school. It kinda reminds me of what happened to Kennesaw mountain a few years back.

Friendswood's score this year was higher than 2015 when they came in at 15. 

2015: 83.20     4th in class

2017: 84.95     4th in class

I have friends who went to Friendswood and have enjoyed their shows over the years. That said, it is frustrating as a biased outsider to watch the staff seemingly make the same mistakes every year. I will come right out and say it: Greg Dick is an amazing concert band director, but his marching band ideas are stale and behind the times. The level of difficulty of the shows has declined in the past few years, especially musically. That dilution is upsetting when you consider how talented those kids are (consistent Honor Band finalist). They also do strange things like play softer at the competitions at the end of the year, which has an unnecessary negative impact on GE. They had one beloved middle school band director leave a few years ago, but that shouldn't be allowed as an excuse at this point. To put it simply, Friendswood needs to modernize their shows. Or, if not, they need to play with more energy. I'm confident they've been given that feedback consistently over the years, and I hope someone over there eventually listens. Marching band is not concert band. The potential is still immense. Great kids and program.

I won't only talk about Friendswood. I love the improvement I've seen at Pearland and Clear Brook. Clear Brook's show design was very interesting and fun to watch. Pearland tried something harder this year, and it was great to witness. Sorry to the bands I didn't get to see this year. I'm sure you were great too. Also, don't focus too much on the BOA SA rankings outside of the finalists and close outsiders because the judges have their hands full with the size of that contest.

I have friends who went to Friendswood and have enjoyed their shows over the years. That said, it is frustrating as a biased outsider to watch the staff seemingly make the same mistakes every year. I will come right out and say it: Greg Dick is an amazing concert band director, but his marching band ideas are stale and behind the times. The level of difficulty of the shows has declined in the past few years, especially musically. That dilution is upsetting when you consider how talented those kids are (consistent Honor Band finalist). They also do strange things like play softer at the competitions at the end of the year, which has an unnecessary negative impact on GE. They had one beloved middle school band director leave a few years ago, but that shouldn't be allowed as an excuse at this point. To put it simply, Friendswood needs to modernize their shows. Or, if not, they need to play with more energy. I'm confident they've been given that feedback consistently over the years, and I hope someone over there eventually listens. Marching band is not concert band. The potential is still immense. Great kids and program.

I won't only talk about Friendswood. I love the improvement I've seen at Pearland and Clear Brook. Clear Brook's show design was very interesting and fun to watch. Pearland tried something harder this year, and it was great to witness. Sorry to the bands I didn't get to see this year. I'm sure you were great too. Also, don't focus too much on the BOA SA rankings outside of the finalists and close outsiders because the judges have their hands full with the size of that contest.

It is such a shame to see a band that had so much potential and seemed to be going places sort of fall off of the map. After getting 15th at state their first year in 6A and 17th at BOA. Then being first out of BOA SA finals the next year. Then dropping to 25th and then 28th. They have a younger assistant director that I believe should be taking over soon. Hopefully he can bring in some young and fresh ideas to this band program to put them back on the map. We’ll see.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Top 10 in 2018, in random order (Excluding Seven Lakes):

TWCP

Oak Ridge — Landmark year? Absolutely!

Brazoswood — AKA Thanos Band

Pearland — Pink props best props

North Shore

The Woodlands

JET — Un-der-rate-ed!

SFA — Nice to see them back!

Cy-Fair

Clements

—I’m ignorant on Dawson; based on reputation they might replace one of these.

—If TWHS produces such a fine visual package next year like they did this year...let’s just say the TxDynasty at GN 2019 will be even more exciting.

—2018 was a landmark year for us, and I think the vibes from this season cemented a new culture toward marching band in our program. Because of this, I think we’ll be around for a while! I can’t wait to observe this program’s growth as a proud future alumnus.

Top 10 in 2018, in random order (Excluding Seven Lakes):

TWCP

Oak Ridge — Landmark year? Absolutely!

Brazoswood — AKA Thanos Band

Pearland — Pink props best props

North Shore

The Woodlands

JET — Un-der-rate-ed!

SFA — Nice to see them back!

Cy-Fair

Clements

—I’m ignorant on Dawson; based on reputation they might replace one of these.

—If TWHS produces such a fine visual package next year like they did this year...let’s just say the TxDynasty at GN 2019 will be even more exciting.

—2018 was a landmark year for us, and I think the vibes from this season cemented a new culture toward marching band in our program. Because of this, I think we’ll be around for a while! I can’t wait to observe this program’s growth as a proud future alumnus.

Agreed

Every band on that list is either the best theyve ever been, or best theyve been in years.