McAllen Regional 2017

I would definitely say that Sharyland Pioneer would be the main contender to purloin the contest from Dripping Springs. I’ll even be bold enough to state that I could potentially see these two bands meeting once again in November at the State Finals.

At the BOA Austin Regional, Dripping Springs placed 14th and Sharyland Pioneer came in not too far behind at 17th. Granted, Pioneer was the very first band to perform and was perhaps the band that had to travel the farthest to get to the contest. I’m sure that was a huge factor. At BOA McAllen Regional, it’ll be the same for Dripping Springs, they’ll be traveling the farthest but fortunately they don’t have a horrible time-slot. They’ll be the very last band to perform so that gives them enough time to unwind and prepare, which was definitely not the case for Pioneer.

Beside Pioneer, I reckon Del Rio, James Madison, and Brownsville Hanna have the highest chances of snatching the contest. I don’t think it’ll happen but stranger things have happened before...especially at a BOA contest. Del Rio has been on the uprise these past few years and seem to be getting better every year. I’m excited to see where they land. Definitely a medalist contender. Brownsville Hanna is a perennial State qualifier, when was the last time this band didn’t advance to the SMC? They always have a good sound, great percussion and the size of this band is behemoth compared to other 6A valley bands. I am not too familiar with James Madison but I’ve seen a couple of their performances and could see them getting as high as 4th, maybe even third. Good ensemble sound.

After that, the rest is up for grabs for the finals spots. This is a State year for Roma and I certainly am sure that they’ll have a great production out in the field. This year’s Area G 5A contest crown will go to either Roma or Sharyland Pioneer. Edinburg Vela, Edinburg North, Brownsville Lopez, and SA Lee have good bids for finals.

For those not too familiar with James Madison, they are a rapidly rising program in North East ISD, but are unfortunately overshadowed by their Johnson, Reagan, and Churchill counterparts, but give them a few years, and we may see them competing at the same level. As far as Lee goes, they are in the same district, and while they are not the most competitive program out there, they are known for putting out some highly ambitious programs. I think with a bit more polish, a finals appearance here is definetely not out of the question. Lastly, we have MacArthur, a program that has truly been in for a sheer rollercoaster ride the past few seasons, including a division 2 at one point, as well as the band being drastically down in numbers. Despite this, the band has been highly competitive in the past, and regardless of placement, they had my favorite show in all of area D in 2014. That being said, I do believe they have an outside shot at sneaking into finals. They had their most polished production in years last year despite fielding what was likely the smallest band in their history last year.

Prelims Results:

4A Music - Homer Hanna H.S.

4A Visual - Edinburg North H.S.

4A GE - Edinburg North H.S.

3A Music - Dripping Springs H.S.

3A Visual - Dripping Springs H.S.

3A GE - Dripping Springs H.S.

2A Music - Roma H.S./Pioneer H.S.

2A Visual - Roma H.S.

2A GE - Roma H.S.

1A Music - Santa Rosa H.S.

1A Visual - Santa Rosa H.S.

1A GE - Santa Rosa H.S.

——————————————

1A Champ: Santa Rosa H.S.

2A Champ: Roma H.S.

2A 2nd: Sharyland Pioneer H.S.

2A 3rd: Sharyland H.S.

3A Champ: Dripping Springs H.S.

3A 2nd: La Joya Juarez-Lincoln H.S.

3A 3rd: Edinburg H.S.

4A Champ: Brownsville Hanna H.S.

4A 2nd: Edinburg North H.S.

4A 3rd: Laredo Alexander H.S.

For those not too familiar with James Madison, they are a rapidly rising program in North East ISD, but are unfortunately overshadowed by their Johnson, Reagan, and Churchill counterparts, but give them a few years, and we may see them competing at the same level. As far as Lee goes, they are in the same district, and while they are not the most competitive program out there, they are known for putting out some highly ambitious programs. I think with a bit more polish, a finals appearance here is definetely not out of the question. Lastly, we have MacArthur, a program that has truly been in for a sheer rollercoaster ride the past few seasons, including a division 2 at one point, as well as the band being drastically down in numbers. Despite this, the band has been highly competitive in the past, and regardless of placement, they had my favorite show in all of area D in 2014. That being said, I do believe they have an outside shot at sneaking into finals. They had their most polished production in years last year despite fielding what was likely the smallest band in their history last year.

Madison is a growing program - you are right, the Churchill, Reagan and CTJ programs get the notice as they have advanced programs - but they see your program and see it coming up - stay true to the performance and it will come. 

Madison has not been a big player in the BOA world but we look forward to seeing them come out

keep going - 

1. Dripping Springs H.S.

2. Roma H.S.

3. Sharyland Pioneer H.S.

4. Brownsville Hanna H.S.

5. Edinburg North H.S.

6. La Joya Juarez-Lincoln H.S.

7. Laredo Alexander H.S.

8. Del Rio H.S.

9. Sharyland H.S.

10. Edinburg H.S.

11. San Antonio MacArthur H.S.