I know... I really wish that scheduling would take distance into account more! It's debilitating for kids to have to wake up so early to perform, and hotels rack up tons of extra money obviously.

Yeah it sucks that they'll be at such a disadvantage. Bands in the last two blocks usually have an advantage over the earlier performers as well. 

Prelims Schedule:

8:00 Vista Ridge H.S., TX

8:15 Duncanville H.S., TX

8:30 Aledo H.S., TX

8:45 Southwest H.S., TX

9:00 Lone Star H.S., TX

9:15 Break

9:45 Pflugerville H.S., TX

10:00 Birdville H.S., TX

10:15 Byron Nelson H.S., TX

10:30 LD Bell H.S., TX

10:45 McKinney H.S., TX

11:00 McKinney Boyd H.S., TX

11:15 Keller Central H.S., TX

11:30 Lunch

12:15 Waxahachie H.S., TX

12:30 Keller H.S., TX

12:45 Independence H.S., TX

1:00 Wakeland H.S., TX

1:15 Hebron H.S., TX

1:30 Liberty H.S., TX

1:45 Marcus H.S., TX

2:00 Break

2:30 Coppell H.S., TX

2:45 Timber Creek H.S., TX

3:00 Chisholm Trail H.S., TX

3:15 Summit H.S., TX

3:30 Plano East H.S., TX

3:45 James Martin H.S., TX

4:00 Flower Mound H.S., TX

4:30 Prelims Awards Ceremony

Vista Ridge is going to be getting up early for this one!  Like Pioneer at BOA Austin, Vista Ridge got a sucky time slot.  But I'm proud of them for signing up for this BOA DFW contest, which is sure to be tough with the Dallas area LISD bands all competing!  Go Ranger Band from Leander ISD--the OTHER LISD!   :D

I think Vista Ridge got their timeslot because they signed up for the regional after the priority deadline. It sucks, but this was controllable.

Well, we are used to getting up in the middle of the night to drive somewhere in the Leander ISD, so I'm sure they will be fine.   :lol:

Do we think that the time slots will change predictions in any way? I can definitely see Vista and Duncanville sliding down in prelims, but I'm confident they're both strong finals contenders where obviously the early morning time slot won't matter as much. But then again, we've seen it happen several times before, a strong "lock" band gets a horrible time slot and slides out of finals.... any thoughts?

Do we think that the time slots will change predictions in any way? I can definitely see Vista and Duncanville sliding down in prelims, but I'm confident they're both strong finals contenders where obviously the early morning time slot won't matter as much. But then again, we've seen it happen several times before, a strong "lock" band gets a horrible time slot and slides out of finals.... any thoughts?

This regional is super competitive at the top but not as thick getting into finals as BOA Austin. I think Vista will be fine, but no idea about Duncanville. Not a good start to their reintroduction into BOA.

Just got word from BOA that there will be TWO exhibition bands at this Regional. Missouri State after Prelims and The Commandant's Own United States Marine Drum and Bugle Corps after Finals!

that's really odd that Missouri State is the exhibition from such a long ways away when in DFW itself we have TCU, UNT, and UT Arlington

Just got word from BOA that there will be TWO exhibition bands at this Regional. Missouri State after Prelims and The Commandant's Own United States Marine Drum and Bugle Corps after Finals!

Oh wow, that's fantastic!!!  Okay, I just might have to drive on up to Dallas for that contest.  I have been torn since I am already attending so many, but hey....BAND!!!!   :D

Has anyone seen anything from Liberty HS? I know they probably won't make finals but I've noticed they have been moving up every year in placement and im thinking one of these days they will be in contention for finals.

I agree that the LISD bands will likely be top of the heap.  I think Coppell may have their rebound this year.  I know they had a lot of resistance to the change in staff last year.  Same for Wakeland, though they changed shows at the last minute as well with their changeover in staff.  How they pulled off as high of placement as they did was surprising.  

I'd keep my eye on both of these groups.  They are hungry.  I'm not saying they will topple anyone from the top 1/3, but I'd be surprised if they didn't both make the cut.

Frisco Liberty. They caught my attention last year at this contest.

I've been hearing about this band for years.  I saw their first game this year (without full uniform) and it looked and sounded good, but it was hard to compare as Wakeland came out in full uniform / props, etc.  I heard a lot of comments that were lackluster, but it's comparing apples to oranges when one band puts part of the full package out there early and the other reserves their full show for later.   I will say that they have a vocalist that I particularly liked, and sometimes that can be hit or miss for me.  I liked some of the visuals I saw, but I can't help but think that the presentation will pack a powerful punch when polished.   Their director was very complimentary to Wakeland on their performance, which was really nice.  I think he's got quite the performance to show at a later date, though.  I'd love to see them do well.  

I don't really know their history.  Did they have some staff changes recently?  

I wouldn't discount Plano East this year. Last year, they had a visual designer crap out on them mid-season after only designing 1/4 of the show. A new guy came in mid-September and helped them advance to state. My sources tell me that new visual designer took over their guard program this year—which has been a rough spot in the band program for the last few years. I wouldn't be surprised if they had a strong showing this year.