• 1 month later...

This section needs some more traction. My predictions are:

1-3: FloMo 1st, Marcus 2nd, and Hebron 3rd. LISD stays dominant with two of those groups going to Grand Nats, they're all gonna be amazing already early on.

4-6: It might be interchangeable between Bell, Vista Ridge, and Keller. It'll be easier to pinpoint after BOA Austin with Vista. Keller's had an amazing last couple of seasons and I expect them to do even better this year at BOA since it isn't a State year.

7-10. There are a lot of wild cards with Duncanville doing BOA again, and some finalist bands from last year not attending this year. Bands typically in finals(Coppell, Wakeland) slipped a bit last year and didn't make finals, but a year can make a world of difference in terms of staff cohesion, so maybe they rebound and make finals? I say Coppell makes the rebound enough to make finals somewhere in this range, along with Duncanville, James Martin, and Timber Creek makes finals after being really close last year.

Bubble Groups- Wakeland, they can definitely rebound enough to make finals, but I'm gonna keep them just out of the finals group...for now. Summit can definitely make finals as well, they are really good musically and I would not be surprised if they squeeze into finals

Waxahachie-finalist last year, they should be in still since Bowie and Winston Churchill aren't at DFW this year, but I'm counting on Vista Ridge, Duncanville, who's always very solid at UIL(betting it'll still be enough to make BOA finals), and resurgences by Coppell and Wakeland to push them out of finals

Keller Central-they'll be aiming to make finals, but I suspect that Duncanville and Coppell push them out of finals

I just stumbled upon a video of the Trinity Trojan Band at UIL in Bedford last fall. While I really enjoyed their program, it struck me that like Leander ISD, Trinity is stuck smackdab in the middle of the other insanely competitive LISD district! How can a band like Trinity stand out amongst so many marching GIANTS?! It must be a bit disheartening at times to be apart of such a district and I feel for these otherwise great bands. It's a bit like when Leander HS had to play Lake Travis in football last fall. Can you say SLAUGHTER??!! Lake Travis has been 6A state football champs repeatedly, and for good reason. They are INSANELY talented. It was tremendously painful watching that football game from the visitor side (other than the half time show of course!), and I'm sure bands like Trinity must feel the same way at UIL and BOA marching competitions. I'm excited to see that Trinity is headed to BOA Atlanta this fall, and I hope they do well there.

I just wanted to give a shout out to the Trinity Trojan Band and all the other great Texas bands that often get overlooked amongst the powerhouses of the LISD's. I'll be rooting for you!!

My predictions:

Top 3: Flomo, Marcus, Hebron. The order could easily change up though. I don't logically seeing any other band touching the LISD schools given the past few years.

4-5: LD Bell and Keller. Again, order could change. LD Bell shot back last year with a gorgeously artistic show, and will be looking to carry that momentum, and Keller has just been a really consistent and great band for the past few years. Especially last year, they had some AWESOME performances with Ascend and beat some other really great bands. They'll be looking strong again.

And I honestly think that's the end of the locks. IMO the other finals spots are gonna be a battle between (in somewhat the listed order):

Coppell

Martin

Vista Ridge

Wakeland

Keller Central
DVille

Waxahachie

Looking forward to watching!!

• 2 weeks later...

1. FloMo

2. Hebron

3. Keller

4. Marcus

5. Bell

6. Coppell

7. Vista Ridge

8. Waxahachie

9. Timber Creek

10. Wakeland/Central/Duncanville

• FloMo opens what will end up being an undefeated season.  
  • Hebron wins the music caption.  
  • Keller shocks everyone and slips past Marcus.  
  • Coppell rebounds this year with a strong showing.  
  • Timber Creek makes finals at this regional for the first time.  
  • There is a fight for finals between KC and Wakeland, with a traditional UIL band in Duncanville in the mix as well.  

Should be a great show!

1. FloMo

2. Hebron

3. Keller

4. Marcus

5. Bell

6. Coppell

7. Vista Ridge

8. Waxahachie

9. Timber Creek

10. Wakeland/Central/Duncanville

• FloMo opens what will end up being an undefeated season.  
  • Hebron wins the music caption.  
  • Keller shocks everyone and slips past Marcus.  
  • Coppell rebounds this year with a strong showing.  
  • Timber Creek makes finals at this regional for the first time.  
  • There is a fight for finals between KC and Wakeland, with a traditional UIL band in Duncanville in the mix as well.  

Should be a great show!

interesting

1. Flower Mound- I'm sure they're thirsty for a National championship, and judging by how clean they were early season last year, I have a hard time seeing anyone topping them at this particular competition

2. Marcus- Here's hoping they step it up design wise for this trip to Nationals, because they have the talent and the resources. I'd love to see them do something more narrative driven with a sense of humor- classic Marcus ala 2006-2008. Even if they don't deliver on the design, they'll likely be clean enough to top Hebron

3. Hebron- Watch out for them end of season, as they've really been going for it in non-state years lately. This regional is likely too early for them to clean what will likely be the hardest musical book in the country, but you never know. 

4. L.D. Bell- I think they're likely still pretty shaken by missing finals in SA, especially considering last year was one of their strongest in a while. Hopefully they can focus their frustration and funnel into success, and recapture the magic.

5. Keller- Could top Bell, but either way, I'd be pretty surprised if they don't finally make it back to the top half of finals at this competition. What a roll they've been on lately!

6. Vista Ridge- Tacking this on their schedule feels like a smart decision, allowing them to flex their muscles a bit without getting over shadowed by their LISD brethren. 

7. Coppell- Last year feels like a hiccup. Having the entire team from Wakeland shift over to a massive program with some of the most outstanding feeder schools in the nation, and one that regularly sends 10+ students to All-State, and with even more resources than they had before, it just feels like they're bound to break out in a big way. VR is a safer choice to top them, but I could absolutely see them switched. 

8. Duncanville- They are going to be determined to make finals in their big return, and their size and musical prowess leads me to believe they shouldn't have a problem doing that. Conroe finals likely would have eluded them, so, again, wise choice

9. Keller Central- They typically come out of the gate really strong, and they're so ambitious design-wise that I have hard time seeing them miss.

10. Timber Creek- They were so close last year in a stronger field, and one can only assume they'll improve even more. This will position them well for a run at a medal in Midland.

BUT ALSO,

Waxahachie, who will be looking for a medal at state

Wakeland, who will settle into a new staff with a better idea of what they're capable of- also looking for that medal that has eluded them for almost a decade now

James Martin, who should easily make finals if they can recapture last year's magic. 

AND MAYBE...

Aledo, Summit, Chisholm Trail, Pflugerville (remember when they shockingly got 4th here???) Plano East, maybe even Lone Star? 

What can I say? I'm a risk taker..

Has anyone confirmed tha flomo and Marcus are going to grand nats? I know Marcus was up but Flomo said they were going. Surprised LISD is OK spending the money for both bands to go. Not complaining as it is great to have both compete but it is expensive for a school district.

What can I say? I'm a risk taker..

Has anyone confirmed tha flomo and Marcus are going to grand nats? I know Marcus was up but Flomo said they were going. Surprised LISD is OK spending the money for both bands to go. Not complaining as it is great to have both compete but it is expensive for a school district.

They're both going for sure. And in their school district and specifically city, I'm sure they can do most of the fundraising without even really asking the district for help.

I'm pretty interested in seeing what happens with L.D. Bell this year. As I said on a thread in the Music for All forums, it was pretty surprising to see them flop last year, since Wes Cartwright had returned and Van Mathews was still there. I'm wondering if L.D. Bell's return to form might just be a little bit delayed. If, by chance, they are able to reach the level that they were at before (as recently as 2011), then they'd be a very real threat for 1st place at both the DFW regional and at the San Antonio super regional.

Probably the only thing that makes me hesitate to predict Flower Mound in first at DFW or San Antonio is that a group hasn't won a Texas regional three years in a row since SFA in 2002-2004, and never at the Super Regional -- and that includes Marcus and L.D. Bell, who were even more dominant than Flower Mound is. That said, it's a little bit hard to see anybody beating them, if they maintain the level of performance and design that they have the past two years (except maybe L.D. Bell, if they're suddenly as good as they used to be). Marcus and Hebron are both fantastic programs, and while I think they could challenge Flower Mound in the performance captions, the past two years haven't suggested to me that they could challenge FM in the effect captions, at least based on design elements. Maybe Marcus, but even their programs are beginning to feel a little dated. Elegant, yes, but they do need to try some new things. Honestly, if I'm being realistic, from an effect -- and in particular a design -- perspective, the only group in Texas I see maybe toppling Flower Mound (and by that I mean like a 40% chance) is The Woodlands, who beat FM in GE in prelims at SA last year (along with Vandegrift actually, who then dropped from 3rd to 7th in finals). Of course, there are such sudden shifts year after year in Texas these days that everything is pretty hard to predict.

Oh, and I loved Vista Ridge's show last year. If I recall correctly, I thought they should have placed higher at the Dallas area regional last year.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think either Hebron or Marcus has jumped onto the newer style of shows, they're still pretty classical in their view point and especially with BOA, the newer stuff seems to be much more favored. Their shows seem to be very similar year to year, themes change and the focuses of each show change but especially with Hebron, I feel like I've been listening to very similar shows year after year since 2013. They've obviously done well for themselves but I think that style is starting to be less favored in the BOA world.

I don't think either Hebron or Marcus has jumped onto the newer style of shows, they're still pretty classical in their view point and especially with BOA, the newer stuff seems to be much more favored. Their shows seem to be very similar year to year, themes change and the focuses of each show change but especially with Hebron, I feel like I've been listening to very similar shows year after year since 2013. They've obviously done well for themselves but I think that style is starting to be less favored in the BOA world.

I thought 360 was pretty different in terms of style. And modern

The only group here I can see beating Flomo is Hebron, and it would require some design changes from their shows the past few years. It's really weird saying that considering they nearly won Nats in 2015, but the standards for design and execution have increased drastically in even the short period since then. And this is all assuming Flomo stays as powerful as they have been. At this point it's so early that it's hard to say anything since we haven't seen anyone yet and some shows haven't even been announced, but early speculation is fun.

I'm not a huge Marcus fan, but after LD Bell's questionable absence from SA finals last year (they deserved a lot better) I don't know if they'll beat Marcus.

Based on traditional preference I'd say:

1. Flomo

2. Hebron

3. LD Bell

4. Marcus

I'll reevaluate after actually seeing any part of the shows. Every year is different.

However, I think it's more likely that LISD takes top three with Bell getting 4th. Hopefully they fight their way back into SA finals and the SA scoring last year was a fluke (because they were amazing).

After that I think the rest of the finalists will be any selection out of Duncanville, Coppell, James Martin, Keller, Keller Central, Vista Ridge, Timber Creek, Wakeland, and Waxahachie.

After last year, it's definitely Flomo's to lose.

1. Flower Mound H.S., TX

2. Carrollton Hebron H.S., TX

3. Flower Mound Marcus H.S., TX

4. Hurst LD Bell H.S., TX

5. Cedar Park Vista Ridge H.S., TX

6. Keller H.S., TX

7. Coppell H.S., TX

8. Frisco Wakeland H.S., TX

9. Duncanville H.S., TX

10. Arlington James Martin H.S, TX

11. Keller Central H.S., TX

12. Keller Timber Creek H.S., TX

13. Waxahachie H.S., TX

14. Pflugerville H.S., TX

15. Prosper H.S., TX

Kind of a hard one to predict. Will more than likely change my rankings once we know what each band is bringing to the table.

• 4 weeks later...

1. Flower Mound H.S., TX

2. Carrollton Hebron H.S., TX

3. Flower Mound Marcus H.S., TX

4. Hurst LD Bell H.S., TX

5. Cedar Park Vista Ridge H.S., TX

6. Keller H.S., TX

7. Coppell H.S., TX

8. Frisco Wakeland H.S., TX

9. Duncanville H.S., TX

10. Arlington James Martin H.S, TX

11. Keller Central H.S., TX

12. Keller Timber Creek H.S., TX

13. Waxahachie H.S., TX

14. Pflugerville H.S., TX

15. Prosper H.S., TX

Kind of a hard one to predict. Will more than likely change my rankings once we know what each band is bringing to the table.

I can see this happening. Really it's only 6-10 that are locks, but I would probably swap Martin and DVille. I also wouldn't count Keller Central out of finals for sure. I don't see any of the other band making finals though.

• 2 weeks later...

Prelims Schedule:

8:00 Vista Ridge H.S., TX

8:15 Duncanville H.S., TX

8:30 Aledo H.S., TX

8:45 Southwest H.S., TX

9:00 Lone Star H.S., TX

9:15 Break

9:45 Pflugerville H.S., TX

10:00 Birdville H.S., TX

10:15 Byron Nelson H.S., TX

10:30 LD Bell H.S., TX