• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JC18

JC18

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:28 PM

I know it's early, but hey, the schedules are out, might as well start making predictions! My top 10 would probably be:

1. Leander

2. Ronald Reagan

3. Vandegrift

4. The Woodlands

5. Hendrickson

6. The Woodlands College Park

7. Winston Churchill

8. Cy-Fair

9. Round Rock

10. Any number of groups, but most likely (from what I can see) Pearland or JET

Of course, almost anything can happen, especially with the quantity of talent in this competition.

#2 BandG33k73

BandG33k73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 04 May 2017 - 07:52 PM

Oak Ridge was pretty impressive at San Antonio last year I wouldn't be surprised to see them in finals.

#3 Hard Core Band Fan

Hard Core Band Fan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 11:03 PM

I would put Round Rock in the top half. This is a Grand Nationals year for them and I expect them to be more prepared, earlier and competitive by the Conroe show.

#4 zururoua

zururoua

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

^ I agree, Round Rock is great and I'd definitely put them near the top.

#5 Cityscapes

Cityscapes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 06:05 AM

I'd be highly shocked if round rock wasn't top 5.

#6 Tomcat491

Tomcat491

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationOak Ridge High School

Posted 16 May 2017 - 08:37 PM

I'd say there's no way CP can beat Churchill or Round Rock, and even though I'm from Oak Ridge so this is biased, there hasn't been a single contest outside of a completely bullshit Area competition where we haven't beaten Pearland in finals

#7 chrisdinh

chrisdinh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:30 AM

I know it's early, but hey, the schedules are out, might as well start making predictions! My top 10 would probably be:

1. Leander

2. Ronald Reagan

3. Vandegrift

4. The Woodlands

5. Hendrickson

6. The Woodlands College Park

7. Winston Churchill

8. Cy-Fair

9. Round Rock

10. Any number of groups, but most likely (from what I can see) Pearland or JET

Of course, almost anything can happen, especially with the quantity of talent in this competition.

Interesting, almost half of these potential finalists (I agree with this list of top 10) have been regional champs before. Nice to see BOA Conroe growing into an early-bloodbath contest/BOA Austin 2.0.  :D

Vista Ridge High School Class of 2018

#8 principalagent

principalagent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:15 AM

I think Bowie and Coppell are absolutely on the table for finals. I personally think there may only be one or two Houston area bands in finals.

And there are actually six former regional champions in attendance: Leander, Vandegrift, Bowie, The Woodlands, Churchill, and Reagan. There are likewise six former Grand Nationals Finalists in attendance, swapping Vandy for Round Rock.

#9 meursault

meursault

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:12 AM

I think we can mostly agree that the top 4 spots will probably be Leander, the Woodlands, Vandegrift, and Reagan (in whatever order).

Then the next few will be Round Rock, Churchill, Cy-Fair, and Hendrickson. (again, in whatever order).

Then that leaves about 2 spots left, which I'm guessing will be taken up by Bowie, Waxahachie, or Coppell.

Bowie had absolutely insane circumstances last year: from what I heard, they didn't even have a set director until significantly into the summer and therefore were already starting off at a time and design disadvantage. But nonetheless, they had a fairly successful season and a really fun show. They finished 5th at BOA DFW, and made pretty high in Semis in Grand Nats (don't remember exactly). They definitely have the potential to rise up above the last two spots, it just depends on how good their staff is. I think they're definitely going to improve tremendously over last year, regardless. And last year was still a great show.

Coppell I think also has a great chance to jump in there. They also have a new staff in their second season, similar to Bowie, (their new staff is basically all of Wakeland's old directors) and it showed last year. It took them a while to get going (they didn't make BOA DFW finals, and didn't compete in San Antonio) but by the time State Finals rolled around... they had a gorgeous show that was a HUGE improvement over the past few years. Also, from what I can tell, for those involved in the drum corps world, Blue Knights 2017 may or may not be fairly inspired by Coppell 2016. Pretty cool. If they can get the ball rolling a little quicker this year, I'd say they have a lock. I definitely have my eye on them.

Waxahachie, admittedly, I'm the most unfamiliar with. All I know is that they made BOA DFW finals last year in a crazy competition, and made UIL State Finals the year before, beating Centennial and Aledo. Also, they did a Queen show last year that was just a lot of fun to watch. They could definitely surprise a few people- they surprised me last year!

Some other finals contenders: JET, Pearland, Oak Ridge..... I'm so excited for this! Between Conroe, DFW, and San Antonio, this marching season is going to be absolutely CRAZY.

#10 Tomcat491

Tomcat491

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationOak Ridge High School

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:50 AM

Oak Ridge will definitely suprise a lot of people this year. Not going to say anything else.

#11 whitewing09

whitewing09

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:43 PM

I think we can mostly agree that the top 4 spots will probably be Leander, the Woodlands, Vandegrift, and Reagan (in whatever order).

Then the next few will be Round Rock, Churchill, Cy-Fair, and Hendrickson. (again, in whatever order).

Then that leaves about 2 spots left, which I'm guessing will be taken up by Bowie, Waxahachie, or Coppell.

Bowie had absolutely insane circumstances last year: from what I heard, they didn't even have a set director until significantly into the summer and therefore were already starting off at a time and design disadvantage. But nonetheless, they had a fairly successful season and a really fun show. They finished 5th at BOA DFW, and made pretty high in Semis in Grand Nats (don't remember exactly). They definitely have the potential to rise up above the last two spots, it just depends on how good their staff is. I think they're definitely going to improve tremendously over last year, regardless. And last year was still a great show.

Coppell I think also has a great chance to jump in there. They also have a new staff in their second season, similar to Bowie, (their new staff is basically all of Wakeland's old directors) and it showed last year. It took them a while to get going (they didn't make BOA DFW finals, and didn't compete in San Antonio) but by the time State Finals rolled around... they had a gorgeous show that was a HUGE improvement over the past few years. Also, from what I can tell, for those involved in the drum corps world, Blue Knights 2017 may or may not be fairly inspired by Coppell 2016. Pretty cool. If they can get the ball rolling a little quicker this year, I'd say they have a lock. I definitely have my eye on them.

Waxahachie, admittedly, I'm the most unfamiliar with. All I know is that they made BOA DFW finals last year in a crazy competition, and made UIL State Finals the year before, beating Centennial and Aledo. Also, they did a Queen show last year that was just a lot of fun to watch. They could definitely surprise a few people- they surprised me last year!

Some other finals contenders: JET, Pearland, Oak Ridge..... I'm so excited for this! Between Conroe, DFW, and San Antonio, this marching season is going to be absolutely CRAZY.

Not quite understanding how Bowie would be at the bottom of finals (unless they just really fall off the trail this year). Last year, they were neck-to-neck with Bell at DFW and edged out Cy-Fair at state, even with those awful music scores. I thought Bowie's show just fell flat with respect to design. The opener was awesome, the ballad was ok, and the closer was forgettable.  Hopefully they figure something out this year.

Overall, I think Bowie would flatly beat Cy-Fair in design, especially visually, and probably in execution. Churchill is probably better matched w.r.t design, but I think Bowie will beat them because of execution. 

#12 MadisonBandMan1

MadisonBandMan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:02 AM

This regional is so stacked! It's going to be impossible to have a finals here!

#13 WILKINSON

WILKINSON

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationSouthlake, TX

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:43 PM

1. Ronald Reagan H.S., TX
2. Vandegrift H.S., TX
3. Leander H.S., TX
4. The Woodlands H.S., TX
5. Round Rock H.S., TX
6. James Bowie H.S., TX
7. Winston Churchill H.S., TX
8. Coppell H.S., TX
9. Hendrickson H.S., TX
10. Cypress Fair H.S., TX

11. The Woodlands College Park H.S, TX
12. James E. Taylor H.S., TX
13. Pearland H.S., TX
14. Klein Oak Ridge H.S., TX
15. Brazoswood H.S., TX

#14 MadisonBandMan1

MadisonBandMan1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:28 AM

My list-whisch is so hard!

1. Reagan-they usually start out the year with a bang imo.
2. Leander- IDK if they are just late boomers, but they have beaten Reagan at both SA and GN, so that says something.
3. Vandegrift- Have you seen their preview?! They're going to have an awesome year, just hope they find the perfect drill and visual package this year.
4. TWHS- Always an awesome band. If they have a show like 2013 they could easily win, and the Scythian suite sounds like "a match made in heaven" for their band.
5. Round Rock-hard I just have a feeling that they will place here.
6. Hendrickson- they had an amazing show last year with 3-D. Hope they can replicate that this year.
7. JBOPE- I think this band will overcome the staff changes this year and rebound.
8. Churchill- Imo they haven't been doing so well lately. I watched them compete in person at area last year, and they weren't very clean. Still a consistent finals band Bc of their musicality, but I see them starting to drop off with the caliber of bands developing now. Hope to see them work harder for their spot.
9. Coppel

13. Pearland H.D.
15. Brazoswood H.S., TX

I don't really know anout 9 through 15, sorry.

This is going to be a rough competition for sure.

Your thoughts on this list?

#15 Cityscapes

Cityscapes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

My list-whisch is so hard!

1. Reagan-they usually start out the year with a bang imo.
2. Leander- IDK if they are just late boomers, but they have beaten Reagan at both SA and GN, so that says something.
3. Vandegrift- Have you seen their preview?! They're going to have an awesome year, just hope they find the perfect drill and visual package this year.
4. TWHS- Always an awesome band. If they have a show like 2013 they could easily win, and the Scythian suite sounds like "a match made in heaven" for their band.
5. Round Rock-hard I just have a feeling that they will place here.
6. Hendrickson- they had an amazing show last year with 3-D. Hope they can replicate that this year.
7. JBOPE- I think this band will overcome the staff changes this year and rebound.
8. Churchill- Imo they haven't been doing so well lately. I watched them compete in person at area last year, and they weren't very clean. Still a consistent finals band Bc of their musicality, but I see them starting to drop off with the caliber of bands developing now. Hope to see them work harder for their spot.
9. Coppel

13. Pearland H.D.
15. Brazoswood H.S., TX

I don't really know anout 9 through 15, sorry.

This is going to be a rough competition for sure.

Your thoughts on this list?

I cant say I agree about Churchill. This year was easily the most successful they have been since 2008, and they are performing so much better than the past few years. 

#16 zururoua

zururoua

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:14 AM

I'm feeling TWHS or Vandegrift for this one, but Reagan or Leander could easily slip in there.

#17 Rubisco

Rubisco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:32 AM

This is a very difficult contest to predict the winner without seeing anything. I suspect that Vandegrift and Reagan will be pretty polished early on, unless they plan on challenging themselves more than last year. Speaking of last year, I thought Reagan was obviously the best at Conroe, even though my opinion changed quite drastically after seeing the groups at San Antonio. Reagan could come storming out of the gate again this year, but it seems unlikely that they'll win three years in a row, especially given the increased competition. Something to keep in mind is that this contest is a *little* later than usual (I think), and that could benefit late bloomers like Round Rock or The Woodlands. By how much? I don't know. I'd also like to throw in there that groups like Hendrickson, Bowie, and Churchill probably pose more of a threat to the "top 5" than we think. After all, Hendrickson was awfully close to The Woodlands last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users