• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In my experience which is 12 years of high school band now, a few scales (a few easy and a few hard) is pretty typically put along with two etudes, one technical and one lyrical. I don't know of anything extravagant going on around where I live but the only other logical thing I could thing of testing on would be a marching element.

• 3 weeks later...

I know Leander students also have to audition for primary marching spots since they have so many kids entering the band program.  I'm sure that's the case for most 5A and 6A bands.  Or do most of them march every student?  Leander has what they call an X-box for students not getting primary marching spots and those kiddos either handle props or they march in a separate "box" on the field during football games only.  Is that pretty common for most Texas bands?

I know Leander students also have to audition for primary marching spots since they have so many kids entering the band program.  I'm sure that's the case for most 5A and 6A bands.  Or do most of them march every student?  Leander has what they call an X-box for students not getting primary marching spots and those kiddos either handle props or they march in a separate "box" on the field during football games only.  Is that pretty common for most Texas bands?

Round Rock split into a varsity and jv format a couple of years ago due to the size of their band. All students get try out for the varsity.

I am a member of a 6A band. We do not have "the box" but alternates do handle props. We hold weekly "challenges" for the spot, where there is a marching and playing audition to have the spot for the game or contest that week. Near the end of the season the challenges die down and roles become more defined. 

Cy-Fair has about 350 students and marches I think ?-220-? of them in the competitive band while the remaining 130 are in the JV component that doesn't compete but marches at games.  This is a common approach among some of the largest bands, but there are many other bands (like LD Bell) who march practically everybody and are still very successful.