W. Charles Akins H.S., TX
Wakeland H.S., TX
Waller H.S., TX
Weiss H.S., TX
Westlake H.S., TX
Westwood H.S., TX
Winston Churchill H.S., TX
Wylie H.S., TX

Yikes. 75 groups? Did I count correctly? And Avon's the only out-of-stater. BOA is definitely striking gold in Texas. I'm wondering how many will be left on the list after drop-outs and waitlist rejections. Probably at least 65. Also, it looks like literally all of the best TX BOA groups will be there. (Often there's at least one that doesn't attend.)

Of note, there are only 2 Texas bands on the list that have beaten Avon in a finals performance in the past decade -- L.D. Bell and The Woodlands. Nevertheless, I anticipate a close fight for the top between Avon and Flower Mound, with possible upsets from a host of other groups, including The Woodlands, Hebron, Marcus, Vandegrift, Leander, Claudia Taylor Johnson, and Ronald Reagan.

Texas groups need to hit that visual HARD between July and SA, if they want to take down Avon. Avon will be a complete package visually. They always are.

With all of the substantial improvement from many band programs across the state of Texas, i'm starting to see less "locks" for snagging a spot in finals. I can think of about 20+ bands at the top of my head that would deserve a spot in finals. I love how extremely competitive BOA San Antonio is, and i'm expecting to be surprised with the results. I can't wait for all of the great performances this upcoming season, and I especially look forward to what Avon has to bring to their first appearance here. 

Ah, yes. Carmel 2002. There were lots of cranky (and humbled) Texans after that one. Take a look at the finals scores from 2002, if you want to know where a decent amount of my pessimism comes from. Of course, Texas bands are way more put-together visually than they used to be, and that's great, but there are still things they can learn from their Midwestern competitors.

I think this will be interesting for Avon. If memory serves correctly, they general do A LOT of power cleaning between super regionals and g'nats. 

I'm also interested in seeing if FloMo steps it up to an even more insane show. They seemed so polished at Arlington last year that their books looked deceptively easy.

Yup. They'll be at a severe disadvantage to all the Texas bands that have 10-hour rehearsals every Saturday ... oh, wait.

Even though the Texas bands don't have Saturday rehearsals, though, Avon won't have theirs, so they'll be at a disadvantage compared to previous years.

I'm also interested in seeing if FloMo steps it up to an even more insane show. They seemed so polished at Arlington last year that their books looked deceptively easy.

In case anyone else find's this interesting...Flower Mound took their show apart the week following the Dallas regional, so much so that they couldn't perform a run-through of it the following Friday night.  I guess the judges had some commentary that made them feel such a drastic change would be necessary to compete well at San Antonio.

I don't know what changed and haven't gone back to compare, but I know someone who heard that from a staff member.  Maybe the comment was taken a bit out of context...like they went back to the drawing board in regards to the closing section of the show instead of changing something that was performed at Birdville or Plano.