Probably Takaoka, Inagakuen-Sogo or Seika Girls. Also '99-2006 Nishihara, especially if we're talking marching exclusively. Couldn't pick a show. My ear doesn't discern very well with bands at that level, and Japanese bands are extremely similar through and through, both in concept and ability.

Oh....'TX' Band huh? ;)LD Bell 2007. But I wouldn't say it's my favorite....It's actually gotten kind of stale to listen to over the years. But the show is extremely fun...broke new ground in concept and design, and Texas won pretty handily that year with it and against a group that weren't exactly slouches. Plus, Finals was November 17th that year....just 5 days before Thanksgiving. August 1st - November 17th....probably the most prep time a Texas band has ever gotten for a show since the 8 hour rule. Super long show; went over the time limit and had several different endings that actually tied together the story.

As for any show in the country? Gosh....I mean both Lassiter (GA) shows ('98 and '02) are legendary. Both have a similar level of the winning formula, but '02 was more exciting, and I think might be just a little bit better. Avon '09 also won out against a strong Texas showing and had an AWESOME concept. I'm going to go with Lassiter 2002 though.

Hebron 2015 was superrr awesome and was robbed of the eagle. L.D. Bell's 2007 show had overall a cooler design IMHO. This year Flower Mound marched and played better than everyone without a doubt. Those who said Broken Arrow would beat them needed to see them live. So one of those three.

Other favorite Texas bands from Grand Nationals:

The Woodlands and Round Rock 2013- Colors. Of. The. Wind

L.D. Bell- everything!!

Richland 2005- can you spell robbed?

Reagan 2003 & 2005- can you spell robbed again?

In terms of effect I think LD Bell 2006 is the one that has stayed with me now for almost a decade since I first saw it.  No high school show gives me the emotions that one does, even if they are absolute dread, despair, and anything disturbing which is why I love it, I adore dark shows that are good.  I love going back to the old posts about that one on here from when it was being performed.  The level of commitment of the members sounds pretty incredible.  

In terms of proficiency...Flower Mound this year absolutely blew me away.  Everything visually and musically was just crystal clear and perfect.  Could probably throw a few Marcus shows in there as well most certainly 2012.  Hebron 2015 musically for sure.  

In terms of both I think Marcus 2010 takes the cake for me.  That show had design, performance, and just absolutely stunning effect for me at the time and today.  The theme coulda been boring but what they did with it, especially visually was just remarkable.  Best ever use of alternates as the shadows in the ballad combined with the guard rainbow is one of my favorite HS guard moments ever.  2012 not far behind.  And of course they performed the snot out of it.  

Here is what I'm thinking for my personal picks of TX bands:

1) FloMo 2016

2) Marcus 2007

3) Spring 1993

4) FloMo 2015

5) LD Bell 2006

6) Marcus 2012

7) LD Bell 2007

8) Duncanville 2002

9) Westfield 1998

10) Hebron 2015

And there are many many others in the running.

The issue I see with picking the "best" shows out of the San Antonio contests is that they don't have that additional week or two of time that the Grand National medalists get.  Marcus '07 had a clear edge over Bell '07 and likely would've won the Eagle had they been at nationals with a game-changing product....but Bell is still the show because the final product they put out is still better than the final product Marcus put out.

"Best" is such a fluid term.  I find it really hard to compare a show like Flower Mound '16 to Spring '93.

The issue I see with picking the "best" shows out of the San Antonio contests is that they don't have that additional week or two of time that the Grand National medalists get.  Marcus '07 had a clear edge over Bell '07 and likely would've won the Eagle had they been at nationals with a game-changing product....but Bell is still the show because the final product they put out is still better than the final product Marcus put out.

"Best" is such a fluid term.  I find it really hard to compare a show like Flower Mound '16 to Spring '93.

That's very true. It's hard to compare shows from different eras, but still, it's pretty fun to compare them. All the ones being discussed are (obviously) at the highest level, but it's interesting to see how different people see exactly how they stack up through their own eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

I think my two favorite shows live were Bell and TWHS 2006. I remember being floored by Hide and Seek's design. It was eclectic (for the time, I think?), but so fun to watch. They really played that show. Their ballad is probably one of my all time favorites and that closer..

As for Bell, watching the Remaining live... changed my life. This was back before you could easily find youtube videos or audio and way before the introduction of live streams of the regional contest, so Bell was hyped quite a bit, but their show was still a surprise. I remember the Alamodome being dead silent at the end of their show. It was a really surreal moment.

I had seen The Remaining many times and loved the way it evolved throughout the season with so many different endings. The BOA SA and State endings with the guard trying to escape the horrors of the field and just straight up slamming themselves onto the back wall of the Alamodome and those huge thuds reverbing through the dome through the silence of the crowd. *Haunting*

And then the surprise BOA GN ending with the white silk of redemption. You could feel the intensity of the crowd as there was silence, then a HUGE gasp, and then silence once again.

It's funny that so many people mention Bell 2006, because I honestly think many of us from that generation are on this board today because of that show. Bell 06 hooked me to marching band for life. Simple as that. And then Bell 07 just pulled me deeper in.

There are many other shows that have been mentioned here that are fantastic, but that trilogy created a lot of long term marching band fans. 

I can attest to that......I found txbands after I watched The Remaining the first time and had to find out more about this amazing LD Bell band I had never heard of.  That was almost a decade ago my freshman year of high school.

There are shows I am a fan of and become obsessed with in a certain season, and then they fade after that year is over.  That show doesn't.  My enjoyment of it hasn't gone down a single bit since I first watched it WAY back in August of 08.  As I get older and learn more I can critique certain performance aspects and other things but few shows make me feel the emotions that one does.  The sheer effect of that music program is just ridiculous.  It's 12 minutes of anguish, pain, sorrow, dread, fear, terror, and every emotion that should drive me away from something but it doesn't.  That's powerful stuff.  And then that little tinge of hope, freedom, release from all those horrible things, or however you interpret it at the end is just perfection.  In all idioms it's something I just marvel at every time I watch it.  

It's one of the VERY few that's stood the test of time for me.  And I never even saw it live.  That is a masterwork in the marching arts.  

• 3 weeks later...

It's funny that so many people mention Bell 2006, because I honestly think many of us from that generation are on this board today because of that show. Bell 06 hooked me to marching band for life. Simple as that. And then Bell 07 just pulled me deeper in.

There are many other shows that have been mentioned here that are fantastic, but that trilogy created a lot of long term marching band fans. 

'The Remaining' really was what lit the spark for me as well.  I had gotten into the "fandom" a little bit before that, but if a show like 'The Remaining' hadn't happened, I might have just dabbled in this "BOA thing" for a bit and then moved on with my life.

In the 90s drill techs weren't running around the field telling kids to "get in character" and "embrace your role".  That was unheard of.  'The Remaining' wasn't the first show to "characterize" the band, but it was the first show to introduce everyone to what was truly possible with that kind of storytelling.  I believe it's the show that changed the tide to where eventually everyone's show had to have--not just a theme--but some kind of characterizing element in order to be considered relevant.

• 1 month later...

My seminal game changer show was definitely Marcus 07 (though bell 06 was the first show that I really dove into on YouTube) seeing them at BOA Arlington is probably still the most arresting live viewing experience ever for me. The musicality really was breathtaking, particularly with regard to how early in the season it was and the standard for the time. And the design both visually and narratively speaking was impeccable. It's one of the only shows I remember seeing that could make a whole stadium erupt in laughter. And the opening of the lily pads in make our garden grow was really stunning. its really a shame that there isn't a complete video available