2017 BOA Schedule

The Midwest Conference is going on and that means that the initial 2017 BOA Schedule has been published!

http://www.musicforall.org/what-we-do/boa-marching-championships/full-fall-schedule

We even have a new Regional in TX, thanks to Midland for making it 6!

September 23rd - BOA Austin - Round Rock's Kelley Reeves Athletic Complex

September 30th - BOA DFW - Southlake's Dragon Stadium

Also September 30th - BOA McAllen - Veterans Memorial Stadium

October 7th - BOA Conroe - Woodforest Bank Stadium (Site Tentative)

October 14th - BOA Midland - Grande Communications Stadium

November 3rd-4th - BOA San Antonio Super Regional - The Alamodome

Not a fan of this schedule really. Austin and Dallas are both quite early. Wouldn't be surprised to see some bands take on a second regional or skip DFW altogether, especially considering that bands like Keller and Marcus tend to take their time putting down drill. I do like that Conroe is back to being the last regional in the Texas Triangle, though.

I am pleased that BOA is growing into West Texas. I think some DFW bands will travel down I-20, and it's not prohibitively far for San Antonio or Austin bands either. I'm also interested to see how much this regional will pull from Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and Oklahoma, if at all. Maybe even Utah or California! One concern is that this regional falls on the weekend that Keller, Denton and El Paso schools did region in 2016. Hopefully that doesn't prohibit bands next year.

One concern is that this regional falls on the weekend that Keller, Denton and El Paso schools did region in 2016. Hopefully that doesn't prohibit bands next year.

I'm betting that they will just push several of the 6A UIL Regions a week back around that area in order to avoid conflicts.

Why is any regional before Oct. 1?   Not a fan of schedule at all!

There's always at least one regional in September. Otherwise, it's impossible to fit all the regionals in before super regionals begin toward the end of October.

Potential bloodbath regionals?

All of them because Texas, but especially Austin and DFW.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm that Duncanville is indeed signed up for the 2017 BOA Conroe Regional. This will be the first time back to a BOA marching contest since they made 1993 BOA Grand National Finals.

Duncanville's complete BOA marching contest history:

1991 - BOA Fort Worth Prelims - 2nd (behind Westfield)

1991 - BOA Fort Worth Finals - 1st, Music, General Effect

1991 - BOA GN Prelims - 5th in AAA and overall, Music AAA and overall

1991 - BOA GN Finals - 6th, Music

1992 - BOA Denton Prelims - 1st, Music, Visual, General Effect

1992 - BOA Denton Finals - 1st, Music, General Effect

1993 - BOA Houston Prelims - 4th

1993 - BOA Houston Finals - 4th

1993 - BOA GN Prelims - 6th in AAA, 8th overall

1993 - BOA GN Finals - 9th

Duncanville was also a Featured Ensemble at the 1995 BOA National Concert Band Festival and was scheduled to compete in the 1995 BOA Houston Regional (my Freshman year) but pulled out the morning of the event due to a guard member tragically losing her life the night before.

Here are links to the videos of the 1991, 1992, and 1993 shows that competed in BOA (also bonus 1995 video since that one was originally scheduled for BOA)

1991:

1992:

1993:

1995:

1995 is my sentimental favorite since it was my freshman year (also because of The Wind and the Lion), but 1991 is my favorite overall of the bunch with some of the last drill that the legendary Steve Brubaker ever wrote. Steve Brubaker also wrote the drill for PCEP (GN Champion) that year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...