2016 6A UIL State

40 6A bands in Prelims on Tuesday with 12 bands advancing to Finals on Wednesday.

Schedule is available at: http://www.uiltexas.org/files/music/6A_Schedule.pdf

Tuesday Prelims:

8:30 - Cy-Fair

8:45 - Hebron

9:00 - Westlake

9:15 - Hendrickson

9:30 - Laredo United

9:45 - Spring

Break

10:15 - Clements

10:30 - Ronald Reagan

10:45 - Keller

11:00 - Wylie

11:15 - Langham Creek

11:30 - Franklin

Break

12:30 - Homer Hanna

12:45 - Vista Ridge

1:00 - Duncanville

1:15 - Brazoswood

1:30 - Harlingen

1:45 - Coronado (El Paso)

Break

2:15 - Berkner

2:30 - LD Bell

2:45 - Leander

3:00 - Cedar Ridge

3:15 - Harlingen South

3:30 - Marcus

Break

4:00 - Stephen F Austin

4:15 - Americas

4:30 - The Woodlands

4:45 - Permian

5:00 - Round Rock

Break

6:00 - North Shore

6:15 - Friendswood

6:30 - Vandegrift

6:45 - James Bowie (Austin)

7:00 - Plano East

Break

7:30 - Flower Mound

7:45 - Cypress Falls

8:00 - Dawson

8:15 - Coppell

8:30 - Clear Brook

8:45 - The Woodlands College Park

9:00 - Exhibition - Texas A&M Commerce

9:15 - Drum Major Retreat

Wednesday Finals:

8:45 - Opening Ceremony

9:00 - First Finalist Band

10:30 - Break

10:45 - Finalist Band #7

12:00 - Last Finalist Band

12:15 - Full Retreat

12:30 - Awards Ceremony

Ouch for Hebron and Reagan.

Yeah, that is what Vista had to do for Area.  I'm assuming the first block bands will stay in a hotel on Monday night.  We had to leave school at 4:45am after senior night at football to make our prelim slot.  That was a super long day for the kids.  Thankfully we got a 12:45 time slot this time.  Some how Vandegrift always gets great time draws, I know it is random, but man year in and year out they seem to be lucky.

Performance order or slotting is always a factor in marching band but it's a much bigger problem in uil usually than boa, it's just that judges are weary of giving high scores early because they know a better band could come around later. This is especially a problem in uil do to the difficult to manage 1000 point system.

Some how Vandegrift always gets great time draws, I know it is random, but man year in and year out they seem to be lucky.

That definitely wasn't the case last year at BOA San Antonio; their original performance time was 9:30 a.m., but they didn't get to perform until around 1:00 p.m because of the heavy rain and a bus breakdown! It was a long day for them, to say the least.

That definitely wasn't the case last year at BOA San Antonio; their original performance time was 9:30 a.m., but they didn't get to perform until around 1:00 p.m because of the heavy rain and a bus breakdown! It was a long day for them, to say the least.

It was still way better than Leander which didn't get to be judged.  They were clearly the most screwed by the rains last year.  Vista also had a super long day (got to school very early then sat and waited and waited)  I chalk up last years experience to be a complete trainwreck for all the bands.  If I remember right, Leander got on buses and had to turn around in the morning.

This has to be one of the best years for 6A (old 5A) I've seen in a long time. There are so many bands I would consider to be "locks" that very few of them are actually locks. I've been watching as much as I can here in the Houston area, and I have a feeling 1 or 2 bands from Houston other than The Woodlands will make state finals, which is something I would not have thought before the season. Excited to see how things turn out, though all should be congratulated around the state for a lot of great performances. 

Performance order or slotting is always a factor in marching band but it's a much bigger problem in uil usually than boa, it's just that judges are weary of giving high scores early because they know a better band could come around later. This is especially a problem in uil do to the difficult to manage 1000 point system.

Area C Finals....those that went before the break either stayed the same or dropped, after the break stayed the same or rose. It sucks and hurts bands "on the bubble". But *shrug* can't see a way to prevent this.

I think my only finals locks right now are Flomo, Reagan, Marcus, Vandy, Leander, Duncanville and Bowie, you can argue for keller

Not Hebron?

And if Duncanville is on this list, Keller needs to be too  because Keller beat Duncanville at Area (that's my argument for Keller).

(But if Keller is on the list, Bell and Coppell need to be too, because they all beat Keller in prelims at Area)

So hard to pick

Don't forget that more than 12 bands can advanced to finals anyways...
If there are 36 or more bands in Prelims the bands ranked in the top twelve
places will automatically advance to the Finals. In addition any band below
twelfth place that receives a ranking of three or higher from at least two of
the music judges and one of the marching judges will also advance to the
finals.

Not to discredit the other Area B bands (Duncanville, Coppell, LD Bell), but once Keller fixed some minor issues from prelims, it was clear that they were head and shoulders above the rest in finals. If they can get another stellar performance like that out at State they could do very well I think.

I wouldn't say they were "head and shoulders above the rest." In prelims Duncanville had placed first by a whole 10 points of second place, and by 12 points to Keller. But when finals scores were released, Keller placed first over Duncanville by 4 points.

Regardless, both bands should do very well!

Not to discredit the other Area B bands (Duncanville, Coppell, LD Bell), but once Keller fixed some minor issues from prelims, it was clear that they were head and shoulders above the rest in finals. If they can get another stellar performance like that out at State they could do very well I think.

I honestly did not think they were that much better. I thought it was a pretty even competition between the top 4 and that any one of them could have taken 1st. Yes Keler has a wow moment with the tarp and the tumbling trumpet player but their marching was on par with duncanville and the others.