Lonestar Preview- 15 October 2016

Some very telling things could occur in my eyes.  

If Richland wins, and I expect them to be up there in the top 3, that bodes very well for them in St. Louis.  

Stephen F. Austin won last year, and they seem to be back on the rise again.  That could bode well for them in terms of Area/State.  

If Lafayette wins, that would be a great accomplishment for them and would be a great sign for Grand Nationals.  

After that I expect Oak Ridge, Clear Brook, North Shore, Dawson, and Clements to be well in the mix for finals with a few others obviously in there.  

I think things are looking very good for Richland from an adjudication perspective. Their show is built to weather these kinds of storms, and they have been popping some very nice GE scores all season. Since this contest is 60% GE, that is pretty good news. And it will certainly help that the whole show will be out there, hopefully with a little bit of cleaning already done. On the other hand, we will see some on the field judges which could potentially cut down some of the execution scores if things aren't tidy. I don't think music individual scores will be a problem this season. Maybe there's a little bit of visual messiness individually though, unless that gets cleaned up this week. But like LKendrick said, the kind of scores we see from them at this contest will be a good indicator how how strong they will be going into StL.

Other people are going to have to fill us in on how SFA is doing. (I don't feel qualified to speak for them since the last time I saw them live was before enrollment shifts -- all the way back in 2009 at BOA SA! (It's odd not to see them in those black uniforms anymore; and I'm still baffled as to why they didn't place higher in finals! But I digress...)

And the same for Lafayette.

From what I can remember someone at the event told me:

4A Results:

1. Stephen F. Austin

2. Dawson

3. Clear Brook

Music: Stephen F. Austin

Visual: Stephen F. Austin

General Effect: Stephen F. Austin

Percussion: Clear Brook

Auxiliary: Stephen F. Austin

3A Results:

1. Richland

2. Willis

3. Dekaney

Music: Richland

Visual: Richland

General Effect: Richland

Percussion: Richland

Auxiliary: Richland

EDIT :

4A percussion caption updated.

Finals Performance Schedule:

8:00 - Klein Forest 

8:15 - Oak Ridge

8:30 - Klein

8:45 - Clements

9:00 - Lafayette

Break

9:30 - North Shore

9:45 - Richland

10:00 - Dawson

10:15 - Clear Brook

10:30 - Stephen F. Austin

11:00 - Retreat

NB: Top-5, bottom-5 random draw. The following from the Lone Star Preview website:

Finalist performance order will be determined by a top-5, bottom-5 draw. The top 5 scoring bands will draw for the last 5 performance times and the bottom scoring 5 bands will draw for the first 5 performance times.

Finals Results

1.    84.95 - Richland

2.    83.95 - Stephen F. Austin

3.    82.75 - Dawson

4.    80.80 - Clear Brook

5.    80.55 - Clements

6.    80.05 - North Shore

7.    78.40 - Oak Ridge

8.    76.70 - Lafayette

9.    74.20 - Klein

10.   70.50 Klein Forest

Outstanding Music - Richland

Outstanding Visual - Stephen F. Austin

Outstanding General Effect - Richland

Outstanding Percussion - Clearbrook

Outstanding Guard - Dawson

________

Update @ 11:49 PM -- Full Scores and Placements

Thoughts from someone who was not there, just made some predictions before hand.

Richland is continuing to prove last year was definitely a fluke.  I had them, Stephen F. Austin, and Lafayette as my top 3 going in.  Stephen F. Austin is really holding their own, not sure what happened around 2012 to 2013 but they've really recovered with a really strong 2015 season and they're having another one in 2016.  Good for them!  Dawson really redeemed themselves after a bit of a shaky start to the season, great finish for them and no surprise seeing them take guard, always a strength for them.  Clear Brook started really strong and isn't slowing down at all.  They apparantley have a phenomenal percussion program, I need to find a video and check these guys out because Richland is no slouch in that category.   Haven't seen anything of Clements, so good on them for the top 5 finish!  And good for North Shore as well, not far behind.  They sound pretty fantastic in the videos I have heard.  Oak Ridge is really powerful, quite enjoyed their show on the Conroe cast, glad to see them having a solid season.  Lafayette was a lot lower than I was anticipating, they're a pretty regular Grand National Semifinalist and previous finalist as recently as less than a decade ago.  Not too familiar with the Klein Schools.  

In my mind if Richland could win this one, they would set themselves up for a great week in St. Louis next week.  

Richland looked pretty cool, they had a lot of cool dances. I think Austin had a worse run in finals then in prelims but it was still good nonetheless. Dawson's show was really good and clean and sounded great, honestly surprised they didn't get first. There's a prelims video of Clements on YouTube and a bunch of other videos on their website. I was able to watch North Shore and they were really good I just didn't understand the concept of the show. Lafayette looked like they had a cool show I dont know how clean they were or how they sounded.