BOA - St Louis

Only 4 Texas bands at BOA St Louis this year...all three Birdville ISD schools are attending.  Some really, really, really good schools showing up this year...Jenks, Owasso, Broken Arrow, Blue Spring, etc. 

Best of luck to the Texas schools!

Friday, October 21, 2016

9:00 a.m. - Box Office Opens
10:00 a.m. - Stadium Gates Open

10:30 a.m. - David H. Hickman H.S., MO
10:45 a.m. - Timberland H.S., MO
11:00 a.m. - Collinsville H.S., IL
11:15 a.m. - Belleville East H.S., IL
11:30 a.m. - Wheaton Warrenville South H.S., IL
11:45 a.m. - Liberty H.S., CO
12:00 p.m. - Parkway West H.S., MO
12:15 p.m. - Marshall County H.S., KY
12:30 p.m. - Parkway Central H.S., MO
12:45 p.m. - Fort Zumwalt North H.S., MO
1:00 p.m. - Monticello H.S., IL
1:15 p.m. - Mahomet-Seymour H.S., IL
LUNCH
2:15 p.m. - East Peoria Community H.S., IL
2:30 p.m. - Normal West H.S., IL
2:45 p.m. - Lakota East H.S., OH
3:00 p.m. - Laquey H.S., MO
3:15 p.m. - Rock Bridge H.S., MO
3:30 p.m. - Owasso H.S., OK
3:45 p.m. - Fairview H.S., CO
4:00 p.m. - Wentzville Holt H.S., MO
4:15 p.m. - Parkway South H.S., MO
4:30 p.m. - O'Fallon Township H.S., IL
4:45 p.m. - Union H.S., OK
DINNER
6:00 p.m. - Kickapoo H.S., MO
6:15 p.m. - Blue Valley H.S., KS
6:30 p.m. - Lindbergh H.S., MO
6:45 p.m. - Fort Zumwalt East H.S., MO
7:00 p.m. - Grain Valley H.S., MO
7:15 p.m. - Fox H.S., MO
7:30 p.m. - Air Academy H.S., CO
7:45 p.m. - Francis Howell Central H.S., MO
8:00 p.m. - Rockwood Summit H.S., MO
8:15 p.m. - Jefferson City H.S., MO
8:30 p.m. - Sauk Prairie H.S., WI
8:45 p.m. - Park Hill South H.S., MO
9:00 p.m. - Friday Preliminary Competition Ends

Saturday, October 22, 2016

6:45 a.m. - Box Office and Stadium Gates Open

7:15 a.m. - Blue Springs South H.S., MO
7:30 a.m. - Waukesha North H.S., WI
7:45 a.m. - Eastview H.S., MN
8:00 a.m. - Keller Fossil Ridge H.S., TX
8:15 a.m. - Nixa H.S., MO
8:30 a.m. - Metamora Township H.S., IL
8:45 a.m. - Roosevelt H.S., SD
9:00 a.m. - Marshall H.S., MN
9:15 a.m. - River Falls H.S., WI
9:30 a.m. - Fayetteville H.S., AR
BREAK
10:30 a.m. - Blue Springs H.S., MO
10:45 a.m. - Richland H.S., TX
11:00 a.m. - Archbishop Alter H.S., OH
11:15 a.m. - Willard H.S., MO
11:30 a.m. - Bellevue West H.S., NE
11:45 a.m. - Haltom H.S., TX
12:00 p.m. - Lincoln H.S., SD
12:15 p.m. - Bentonville H.S., AR
12:30 p.m. - Blue Valley West H.S., NE
12:45 p.m. - Camdenton H.S., MO
LUNCH
1:45 p.m. - Olathe East H.S., KS
2:00 p.m. - Bixby H.S., OK
2:15 p.m. - Neosho H.S., MO
2:30 p.m. - Eden Prairie H.S., MN
2:45 p.m. - Birdville H.S., TX
3:00 p.m. - Choctaw H.S., OK
3:15 p.m. - Rosemount H.S., MN
3:30 p.m. - Rock Island H.S., IL
3:45 p.m. - Jenks H.S., OK
4:00 p.m. - Broken Arrow H.S., OK
4:30 p.m. - Presentation of Awards

6:00 p.m. - GATES OPEN
6:30 p.m. - National Anthem/Introduction of Judges and Government Officials
7:15 p.m. - First Performing Finalist Band
10:45 p.m. - Finals Competition Ends
11:00 p.m. - Finale - Presentation of Awards

I think that all four texas bands should make finals, despite Jenks, Owasso, Broken Arrow, Blue Spring being there. Competition at non-Texas BOA (excluding Indy and Grand Nats) aren't incredibly difficult. Judges also tend to favor Texas bands (in my opinion) at these competitions. 

Richland went in 2012 and got 9th

Birdville went in 2012 and got 10th

(LD Bell went in 2012 and got 2nd)

(Anderson went in 2012 and got 5th)

I think that all four texas bands should make finals, despite Jenks, Owasso, Broken Arrow, Blue Spring being there. Competition at non-Texas BOA (excluding Indy and Grand Nats) aren't incredibly difficult. Judges also tend to favor Texas bands (in my opinion) at these competitions. 

Richland went in 2012 and got 9th

Birdville went in 2012 and got 10th

(LD Bell went in 2012 and got 2nd)

(Anderson went in 2012 and got 5th)

I don't think judges favor Texas bands, I just think they tend to deliver more often than not when they head out of state.  The ones that usually venture out are usually higher caliber and probably don't want to make the trip if they don't think they can make finals.  

Birdville missed in 2013 so they don't always make it in.  

I definitely see Richland in and in the top 10.  I think their show is incredibly well designed and based on some TOC videos I have seen they are really starting to reel the performance levels in as well.  I could see them as high as 3rd to 4th or so, but that is assuming the absolute best.  Honestly though finishing in the top 8 will be a great accomplishment, because that means being in a league with these bands:

Blue Springs

Bellevue West

Bentonville

Broken Arrow

Eden Prairie

O'Fallon Township

Owasso

Rosemount

Union

And others.  Previous Grand National Champions, finalists, finalists at this regional and medalists.  It is especially stacked this year.

I could definitely see Haltom in again, I think they have a stronger project this year than last year.  They tend to really peak around that time as well.  

And as far as Birdville and Fossil Ridge you never know!  

Daniel (Xenon) blogs Nationals pretty much every year from Indy.  Other than that, we've never had staffers at out-of-state regionals.  I think Zach blogged a Colorado invitational once when he was at UC Boulder I think in 2007 or 2008, but never a BOA regional.

Music for All recently started contracting with Indiana Marching to send their people to the various Super Regionals....that might be what you're thinking.

O'Fallon Township really made a statement by beating Marian Catholic by almost 3 points at their state contest.  They'll be one to watch.  

Richland winning today is a great sign for them, I see them popping some big Effect numbers next week.  I've been gradually moving them up my prediction each week.  Think they could do very well.  

Will any staff members be there at the event? For some reason I had some vague memory of something remotely like that happening at some point in the past. But maybe I'm just fooling myself.

Maybe I'll try and watch on FloMarching or something.

Daniel (Xenon) blogs Nationals pretty much every year from Indy.  Other than that, we've never had staffers at out-of-state regionals.  I think Zach blogged a Colorado invitational once when he was at UC Boulder I think in 2007 or 2008, but never a BOA regional.

Music for All recently started contracting with Indiana Marching to send their people to the various Super Regionals....that might be what you're thinking.

Yeah, at least one IndianaMarching person will be at BOA STL running a live blog in addition to the FloMarching video stream.

I'm going to be running the scores booth at DMI on the 22nd, so I won't have time to run a blog, but I'm hoping to be able to tweet some pictures @TxBands like I did this weekend from UIL Region 20.

Alright, I've seen some of most of these shows, my prediction:

1)  Broken Arrow - This is not a we're not going to Nationals half baked show, that's all I will say.  Have a friend who was at their show yesterday and said they're performing like they want to repeat Nationals with their favorite show of Broken Arrows in a long time.  

2)  Blue Springs - I've seen theirs as well.  I much prefer what I have seen of this one to last years National finals show.  A lot more refined and well performed at this point than I was expecting from them.  

3)  Union - I've heard great things.  Haven't seen anything.  I loved their show last year, they sounded pretty fantastic and it was VERY gorgeous.  

4)  Owasso - Haven't seen or heard anything, just know they walked into San Antonio last year and shocked the absolute heck out of me with that Kill Bill show that was probably my favorite of the year.  I'm always excited to see them, because when they're on they're ON.  

5)  Bentonville - Same person who saw Broken Arrow saw them yesterday, and said this show is just a blast from top to bottom.  Expect........lots and lots of color.  Have seen some short audioless videos of their props in action and woah are they cool.  They really impressed me last year in terms of performance, very excited to see the whole show and not just bits and pieces.  

6)  Richland - Yup.  These guys were probably on no ones radar after last year which had to be disappointing.  Well, they've gotten two silvers and a gold against some of THE best bands in the state, and I don't expect them to slow down.  Fantastic show musically and visually that should score up there in GE, and musically they're incredibly energetic too.  How much they refine cleaning wise will only put them higher in my eyes.  Regardless of where they place they resurrected that storied program with one of their best shows since their Grand National finals days.  Can't wait to see what this band does in the future!  

7)  Rosemount - No videos, just going off of some scores in which they are very well in the mix with O'Fallon Township and Bentonville.  Always place really well and perform really well in St. Louis.  

8)  O'Fallon Township - I saw some early videos that indicated a very well put together show and them performing very well.  They've hung very close to bands like Bentonville and Rosemount, and even beat Marian Catholic at their state championships yesterday.  Really liked what I saw early on and it's probably continued.  

9)  Bellevue West - These guys really stepped onto the scene last year and made a statement.  I haven't seen much of anything or I would probably adjust this placement more.  Think they'll be comfortably in though.  

10)  Eden Prairie - Saw some early videos.  Great program, placed really well last year.  Can and will probably be higher but it's stacked this year!  

11)  Haltom - I saw some stuff in early October that indicated a much stronger show design than last year.  It's hard to place them at this regional, they're usually lower then I anticipate them being.  Regardless, I anticipate them making it.  

12)  Bixby - This is another band that really exploded onto the scene last year with a really fun and well performed show, they placed well into the top 10 in finals.  Haven't seen anything this year but they've been scoring well against some of their peers that they will be competing with.  Love their announced music for this year......

13)  Air Academy - They look and sound really solid this year, really fun and dark show with TONS of energy.  They should have a great weekend.  

14)  Jenks - They sound fantastic this year, really fun Deck of Cards show.  Always do really well at this one so they could definitely be higher.  

Other Bubble Bands that could find their way in:

Blue Springs South, Grain Valley, Kickapoo, Lincoln  

I think Broken Arrow is a very safe bet for first.  2nd - 4th could be a toss up, and 5th to 9th could end up in any order.  After that there will probably be a few miss that I predicted in, and vice versa.  Starting last year this one got really crowded, and this year it REALLY exploded in terms of the bands attending.  This isn't the Super Regional of even 2 - 3 years ago, a lot higher quality bands a lot more competitive.  Should be a fantastic show.  Best of luck to all 4 Texas bands attending, sure they'll represent very well.  

:)

Is there a way to see which bands are AAAA, AAA, AA, etc?

BOA doesn't fully release that information. 10-12 Enrollment numbers change every year and the only way we officially know who is in what class is once awards are announced or recaps are released. If a band hasn't performed at a BOA event this year then we don't know for certain what class they are in.

I'd like to give a big thank you to our friends from IndianaMarching.com who are hosting the official BOA Live Blog for this event all through Friday and Saturday.

The official BOA Live Blog is available at http://www.musicforall.org/blog/live-blog/live-blog-2016-bands-of-america-st-louis-super-regional-championship and I've also got it mirrored at http://live.txbands.com

While most of the bands in Texas are having their UIL Region level contests this weekend, 4 TX bands have made the trip all the way up to Missouri for the BOA St. Louis Super Regional Presented by Yamaha, and all of them have Prelims performances on Saturday.

8:00am - Keller Fossil Ridge

10:45am - Richland

11:45am - Haltom

2:45pm - Birdville

Prelims has 65 bands split across Friday and Saturday with a 14 band Finals Saturday evening, including the reigning 2015 BOA Grand National Champion, Broken Arrow. Since this is the last BOA event that Broken Arrow will attend before the 2016 BOA GN, there will be a special ceremony where they return Kevin, the BOA Grand National Champion Eagle Trophy so that he can get some rest in Indianapolis before moving on to his new home later this year.

BTW, Kevin even has his own Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KevintheEagle

I'd like to give a big thank you to our friends from IndianaMarching.com who are hosting the official BOA Live Blog for this event all through Friday and Saturday.

The official BOA Live Blog is available at http://www.musicforall.org/blog/live-blog/live-blog-2016-bands-of-america-st-louis-super-regional-championship and I've also got it mirrored at http://live.txbands.com

While most of the bands in Texas are having their UIL Region level contests this weekend, 4 TX bands have made the trip all the way up to Missouri for the BOA St. Louis Super Regional Presented by Yamaha, and all of them have Prelims performances on Saturday.

8:00am - Keller Fossil Ridge

10:45am - Richland

11:45am - Haltom

2:45pm - Birdville

Prelims has 65 bands split across Friday and Saturday with a 14 band Finals Saturday evening, including the reigning 2015 BOA Grand National Champion, Broken Arrow. Since this is the last BOA event that Broken Arrow will attend before the 2016 BOA GN, there will be a special ceremony where they return Kevin, the BOA Grand National Champion Eagle Trophy so that he can get some rest in Indianapolis before moving on to his new home later this year.

BTW, Kevin even has his own Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/KevintheEagle

I have a feeling that Kevin will be going South for the winter! Either Florida or Texas...

Standouts thus far:

I really enjoyed Owasso personally, very cleanly put together show and they sound very good. Some very interesting guard costuming stuff in the latter half, but their amazing soloists really stole the show.

I love the design of O'Fallon Townships, really well put together and just downright fun. Some really great moments, particularly the Fly to Paradise ballad hit which was so well done. Loved the pit stuff going on underneath it, gave that piece we've heard a million times on the field new life. If they can get the performance levels as strong as the show is they will finish strong in Indy.

Union. I need to see that show again. But I mean that in a really good way. LOVED the ballad, really chilling. Those light boxes are so cool! We saw something like that from the Colts in DCI this summer, though Union seems to have really found a way to make those things pop because they were VERY clear from up top. Very interesting show for sure.

Standouts thus far:

I really enjoyed Owasso personally, very cleanly put together show and they sound very good. Some very interesting guard costuming stuff in the latter half, but their amazing soloists really stole the show.

I love the design of O'Fallon Townships, really well put together and just downright fun. Some really great moments, particularly the Fly to Paradise ballad hit which was so well done. Loved the pit stuff going on underneath it, gave that piece we've heard a million times on the field new life. If they can get the performance levels as strong as the show is they will finish strong in Indy.

Union. I need to see that show again. But I mean that in a really good way. LOVED the ballad, really chilling. Those light boxes are so cool! We saw something like that from the Colts in DCI this summer, though Union seems to have really found a way to make those things pop because they were VERY clear from up top. Very interesting show for sure.

Great analysis. It's definitely appreciated!

Anyone else having the same issue I am?  Feed is skipping all over the place for me right now, will be live and then skip back a few minutes and then be live and then skip back a few seconds.  

I THINK Blue Springs South is on my bubble but I can't really tell because of the video quality.