Amazing display tonight! Truly all of the finalists bands tonight showed serious state-level quality! Shame that more couldn't advance.

On another note, here's a fun (or not so fun) fact; EVERY SINGLE area competition that the Timber Creek Band has ever attended has resulted in them being first-runner up to attend the State Marching Band Contest:

2011: 5th place (advance 4)

2012: 5th Place (advance 4)

2014: 2nd Place (advance 1)

2016: 6th place (advance 5)

As an alumni it breaks my heart to see this band having gone through so much, but I can't help but smile to see the way they performed tonight and the undeniable progress they have achieved. KOKO Falcon Band!!

So sorry that is hard on the kids to always finish just one short.

I loved their show yesterday. Being an old clarinet player I have to say I loved the solo.

That was one of the reasons Plano Senior (not to be confused with Plano East!) Made the decisions not to go to area for many years. The band director at the time just thought the kids stopped enjoying band and became too stressed. Plano was back again this year after a long absence but there are times I can agree with what he did. But at the same time they work so hard you want them at least try

• 8 months later...

I know it's more than a bit late, but I was reading through this thread again and wanted to check off just how many of these things actually happened.

Plausible and not altogether unlikely scenarios:

(1) Coppell places fifth or higher in finals.

(2) Haltom places third or higher in finals.

(3) Either Keller or Duncanville does not place in the top three in either finals or prelims.

(4) Duncanville places over either Keller or L.D. Bell in either prelims or finals.

(5) Either Trinity or Fossil Ridge makes finals.

(6) Keller Central places fifth or higher in finals.

(1) Coppell placed 4th in Finals

(3) Keller placed 4th in Prelims (1st in Finals, though)

(4) Duncanville was 1st in Prelims and only behind Keller in Finals

Plausible but less likely scenarios:

(1) Haltom does not place in the top five in finals but two of Martin, Coppell, and Keller Central do.

(2) James Martin, Haltom, and Keller Central place in the top six in finals while Coppell does not.

(3) Duncanville places over both L.D. Bell and Keller in either prelims or finals.

(4) Keller places over both Duncanville and L.D. Bell in either prelims or finals.

(3) Duncanville was 1st in Prelims and only behind Keller in Finals

(4) Keller was 1st in Finals

Possible, but very unlikely scenarios:

(1) Two of L.D. Bell, Keller, or Duncanville tie either in prelims or in finals.

(2) L.D. Bell places third or lower in finals.

(3) Timber Creek places higher than either Coppell or Keller Central in either prelims or finals.

(4) Both James Martin and Haltom place in the top three in finals while neither Duncanville nor Keller places below fifth.

(5) None of Haltom, Martin, or Coppell takes third or fourth in finals, but two of L.D. Bell, Keller, Duncanville, and Keller Central do.

(6) Haltom places first or second or ties for first or second in either prelims or finals. 

(7) Finals is rained out.

(1) Close but not quite. LD Bell tied Coppell for 2nd (Bell won tie breaker).

(2) LD Bell was 3rd in Finals.

(3) Timber Creek placed 7th and 6th ahead of Keller Central which was 10th in both.

Very improbable scenarios:

(1) Only one of L.D. Bell, Duncanville, Keller, or Haltom places in the top three while both Coppell and James Martin do, in finals.

(2) Either L.D. Bell or Duncanville does not advance.

(3) A band placing lower than seventh in prelims advances to state in finals.

(4) Coppell places fifth or lower in prelims, but then places third or higher in finals.

(3) Plano East was 9th in Prelims and 5th in Finals to advance to State.

• 1 year later...

It's not THAT out there, it's a show about strings.  It's not anymore BOA/UIL friendly than anyone else honestly.  

I think I'm one of the few that thinks that supposed BOA/UIL mindset is disappearing.  Yes, there is no GE, and there are no field judges, but that doesn't mean that Music and Visual are being judged any differently, just from the box.  They're not judging style, they're not judging show design and how that lends to certain types of musical performances, they're judging how you march and play.  When shows like LD Bell in 2012, Claudia Taylor Johnson in 2014, and Leander last year medal and other supposed VERY "UIL friendly" shows don't touch a medal............I think that argument starts to fall apart.  

Like I said, I think Martin marches very well and they're very close to breaking into that next tier musically this year.  Show design or not.  

Lol it's so cringey reading how salty I was 2 years ago.